Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

suby

Programming As a Retail Trader

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the benefits of knowing a programming language like C++ or C# in trading.

Does anyone here currently trade from home using C++/C#/Matlab/Python ?

Really would love to learn more about this from some seasoned vets on Traders Lab

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the benefits of knowing a programming language like C++ or C# in trading.

Does anyone here currently trade from home using C++/C#/Matlab/Python ?

Really would love to learn more about this from some seasoned vets on Traders Lab

if you have not taken a programming course in high school or university,

I would not suggest you to start C++ or C# now.

Not because you are too stupid to learn,

not because it is impossible to learn,

but realistically, if you have not taken a course in school, starting now is time consuming.

Note that I did not say you cannot do it. It just takes a bit more effort.

If you are keen on programming your own strategy,

don't get discouraged. There are alternatives better suited to the retail traders than C++/C#. You can try EasyLanguage. It is designed for non-programming traders.

but realistically, if you have not taken a course in school, starting now is time consuming.

don't get discouraged. There are alternatives better suited to the retail traders than C++/C#. You can try EasyLanguage. It is designed for non-programming traders.

Hey Tams,

I'm still a little uncertain though on the purpose of programming a strategy...

It may sound dumb but is it for automation or is it to produce signals...?

I do a lot of work through excel right now and want to step it up a bit... I've been thinking about matlab but im debating on spending my time on something like C# or Python.

Hey Tams,

I'm still a little uncertain though on the purpose of programming a strategy...

It may sound dumb but is it for automation or is it to produce signals...?

I do a lot of work through excel right now and want to step it up a bit... I've been thinking about matlab but im debating on spending my time on something like C# or Python.

Answer: both.

If you are comfortable and proficient with excel vba (not just the spreadsheets) you could probably transition into learning and understanding C,c++. Otherwise as Tams said it might not be worth it and other easier options are available.

A lot may depend on how you wish to trade and what systems you wish to use.

Sierra chart can be easily used with spreadsheets - and for more complex things C

Multicharts and tradestation using Easylanguage

If you dont like charts, and are happy to trade less actively then excel may be all you need

if you really wish to push the limits here, python, R and matlab might be options --- but it sounds like these are beyond where you need to be and are at now.

If you like charts and visual representations - I suggest you download the free trials for Sierra Charts, Multicharts, Tradestation, Ninja (I think it uses C), Amibroker --- or any other widely recommended platforms and see which ones you like.

It will take some time - but it is better than switching and chopping and changing.

You will also need to define what it is you are wanting to look at, look for or why you are doing this.......

hire a freelancer to do it for you. There are tradeoffs to consider, but if you deal with reputable people, and one who communication is good (not just English, but understanding what you want to accomplish) You'll have to break up your system into smaller chunks and have a foundation element or structure in which you can begin your "proof of concept".

I can understand some logic. Even though I'm not a programmer, i would often go back into the well-commented code and see how the programmer implemented what I said; to get an idea of how if-then statements work in practice. I agree with Tams that unless you want to practice coding or have a mathematical/logics background, it can be extremely daunting. You need time to dig into the logic and learn the limitations/workarounds of a platform. The only shortcut is watching how someone else has done it and mimic their implementation. A lot of tech/vocational colleges may teach some programming languages, and you may qualify for a gov't grant to take it for free or a very minimal cost (books).

Another option is to hire a freelancer to teach you via skype/teamviewer/mikogo.

True that. Even for seasoned programmers Easylanguage is a boon. Rapid prototyping is the term I would like to use here to describe what a season programmer can do with EasyLanguage. :)