Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mysticforex

Are You a Solitary Trader ?

They say "No man is an island".

I imagine most of us retail traders work form a small home office. Sometimes I feel the need for some human (trader) contact, even if it's just a reality check.

Over the years I have met many traders at trade shows, seminars etc. I have a handful that I keep in touch with, either live, or via email.

How many of you do the same ?

One of the adjustments I had to make when trading full time was not having anyone to talk to all day. I usually go to the grocer everyday… and I would catch myself striking up conversations with total strangers, chatting up the cashier, in a general sense… being affable. I'm a low key sort of person, and not someone who needs a lot of interaction to be happy, but when you go all day without speaking to someone… well, I then have something to say. It doesn't take me long to get it out of my system, and it's always been well received… so I guess it's not a problem… everyone just thinks I'm outgoing.

There are friends and/or family that I see most every evening, but it's that initial release of getting out of the house and looking for some contact that I find most amusing.

I hadn't thought about it for awhile, so possibly I've just become accustomed to it… yes, it was a major adjustment.

One of the adjustments I had to make when trading full time was not having anyone to talk to all day. I usually go to the grocer everyday… and I would catch myself striking up conversations with total strangers, chatting up the cashier, in a general sense… being affable. I'm a low key sort of person, and not someone who needs a lot of interaction to be happy, but when you go all day without speaking to someone… well, I then have something to say. It doesn't take me long to get it out of my system, and it's always been well received… so I guess it's not a problem… everyone just thinks I'm outgoing.

There are friends and/or family that I see most every evening, but it's that initial release of getting out of the house and looking for some contact that I find most amusing.

I hadn't thought about it for awhile, so possibly I've just become accustomed to it… yes, it was a major adjustment.

Wow, so true, hadn't thought of that. I do the same thing, constantly chatting up total strangers. Lol.

Wow, so true, hadn't thought of that. I do the same thing, constantly chatting up total strangers. Lol.

Too funny: "I'm not going to rob ya, and I don't want anything... I just haven't spoken to anyone all day".

Thank God for Facebook.

;-)

but I still feel detached, isolated, and removed.

I chat on FB with friends,

but I do not talk to other traders.

I have tried skype or paltalk or similar programs,

but inevitably they became distractions, because they do not trade the same way I do.

or they chat too much, (about their weekend, their children, their mother-in-law)

or they are too nosy, (not that I don't share, but how much I made today is not something I want to discuss)

or too much opinion on the market direction...

so, trading is still a lonely existence.

Edited by Tams

I have been through many variations.....and this is my personal experience.....

Traded on a floor - Always someone to talk to - 80% had nothing to say and talked crap about sport most of the time, or their egos talked.

Moved to an office and screens (12 of us together) - much the same, the good social atmosphere made the good times great, the bad times always sucked regardless.

Moved to an office with two of us, then three of us - we would either banter about nothing or the markets most of the time, or might sit for 4 hours saying very little......(this was my personal preference)

Traded in Oz by myself, at one stage I worked out I was probably going out 5-6 nights a week, with different friends or family - this was my social interaction to make up for the fact i had little contact during the day.On the really quiet days (or often those whereby the profits were being run i made friends with the local shop owners and cafe owners) It worked for me.

Also sat in an office for a time with about 12 others, mainly market types doing different things.....great socially, but not so good for work as too many distractions. Sitting in an office with strangers can be more lonely and frustrating.....

Moved to the UK - sitting by myself in "friendly" London where even the shop owners who you see every day wonder who you are each time, and are rarely talkative :crap:. This really sucks especially in the dark winters. Now have a good bunch of friends, but the social, impromptu aspect of Oz is not here in the UK.

After seeing many versions and sorry for the long history

:2c:....for me I need the real (not skype etc) social contact of even just one or two people who are of similar mind and trading ideas - we dont need to trade the same, but we need to understand the traders mind so to speak. This usually means you know when to shut up, what questions to ask, and can also provide level thoughts when needed.......IMHO - hard to find, and only comes over time

sorry Tams ;) - I hate FB, prefer TL as I like the topics here more than which friends dog ate a pizza then puked on the carpet.

but agree trading is a lonely existence, and one of the aspects I really hate about it when you dont have the substitute for an established network of friends or trading buddies, or your partner (even though she also is in finance and very smart and talented) just does not get what you do - from a trading perspective.

(working on solutions, but it all takes time)

Very Good Question !!!

I begin to trade full time on last autumn... Before beginning to trade full time for most of my life I worked for myself ( I had owned mainly a computers company). So even at this time I was working with no coworkers. But at least at this time I see customers, Sales rep, phone calls to order parts, going on site sometime to repair, etc... But overall was alone ;-)

Now trading full time it is REALLY BEING Alone No-Coworkwers, customers etc...

So me too Use FB (not for chat, I don't like chat on computers) & StockTwits as substitute.

When my day is done, 3-5 times a week I go to supper in restaurant to BE with real peoples, even if I don't talk to anybody I feel "being part of"(World) :P

Over the top I'm single and have no family except my daughter that have is own life...

I'm not saying I'm unhappy, I'M HAPPY :-) with my life ! I choose it, nothing is perfect.

To overcome this loneliness (I'm in mid 40), I look for a girlfriend to SHARE with her.. but seeing peoples with day trading, being in mid-40, no family ask imagination and audacity.

So I begin to look on "single networking sites" ... cause i.m pretty sure there is a lot of peoples that work for themselves in the same situation. And also on week-end where there is a festival, music show I go to interact with peoples and try to make connections with others, but it's not easy... to make real connections.

I don't complaint to much, cause I'm optimistic and I do something that I like and choose.

Also I plan a 1-6 months vacation in Asia (No time limit, OPEN ticket) not in a resort but to see "real peoples" and live with them.

I like Buddhist philosophy (it's one thing that help me to manage my emotions in trading and life) .

Overall I'm ab happy guy with a beautiful Life and I work on my life to make it better on many aspect like having more REAL interaction with Human Being 8-)

Regards

no offense,

I would give up everything to move out of London to live in Oz

None taken and I would agree with you. The original reason i moved here was at 36 years old i had one of those, "maybe i might do something different moments".....a few years later we have female issues - presently I am here for her and her career....I am a modern man.

Reality at present is - London is cheap compared to Oz for many things, its a great time zone, I travel a fair bit, and it has certain tax advantages as a non dom.....may as well make the most of the advantages, but Oz is the place i intend to get back to to live.

Mystic yes apart from family, it mostly is a Solitary Traders life

Though this could be somewhat misleading to the newbies or struggling traders

Instead what I learnt from my solitude days when learning to trade is

You cant just work hard & close Yourself in to be successful at trading

(I didnot plan it this way but it just happened that way; Maybe we human beings prefer to loose in silence and solitude rather than others finding out)

By the time I realise it was more about Self than System

Took some steps to Balance my working & family life

But by than had lost most of me social life or desire to go out much

Though as family we usually take four / five weeks of Dec/Jan off abroad on holidays

Now I just trade from my dedicated home/office

Once or twice a year I temporarily try some interesting trading rooms out

(have recently heard that Tim of eminimind has just started a new room so may check it out)

But comparatively still prefer much a quiter life now

Siuya agreed weather wise UK is much challenging to live and such occupation does not help!

Has anyone thought about opening an online room where Traders can trade their own system and if they wish share their trades, methods & help if asked, etc

Regards Minoo

By the time I realise it was more about Self than System

Has anyone thought about opening an online room where Traders can trade their own system and if they wish share their trades, methods & help if asked, etc

Regards Minoo

like the first point....plus a lot does depend on where you are in life. A 25 year old might view things differently to a 45 year old.

Re the 2nd point, isnt that what TL is :). I am sure variations exist

...personally I have little interest in constant chatter, and find it a bit like trying to have a phone call while driving. (hands free of course)

They cant see what you are seeing and loose all context so while you are swerving trying to miss the truck they are talking about last weeks episode on TV, and then saying "can you hear me?"

It is the real life social interaction (must be too old school)- and not with strangers locked into a soulless room that the only things you have in common is the same stock code....that i miss

....sitting here naked, coffee and deciding the trades for the day while scratching myself is one upside to the solitary life ;) (today I think i might look for longs in the EURUSD)