Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

zdo

Should I Go... Should We All Go

Should we go to ET  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should we go to ET

• Yes, just you zdo, should go
    • No, stay
    • We all should go
    • We should all stay

Should I go to ET?

Should we all go to ET?

I ask serious questions I really don’t know the answers to - not ‘set up’ questions – and get no answers. At least at ET, I would get some opinions, spiced with condescending and derogatory flavor, but it would add horizons and angles I hadn’t previously included in my constructs…

Lately, my questions have been about big picture stuff. Maybe I’m just not ‘Lab-ish’ enough. MMS has also intermittently asked a string of big picture questions with sparse response. Is MMS also not ‘lab-bish’ enough?

Or just maybe more of the posting population is beset by shock, ptsd, hunkering down, defensiveness, withdrawal… but traders can’t be zombies! Should we associate with zombies? Hell no! Good traders can’t be zombies! Good traders can’t associate with zombies!

I watch as other posters, usually with a sincere but more fringe/niche methodologies, still get hounded away. The detractors aren’t as overtly abusive as those filling that role at ET or T2W, but they consistently interrupt ‘meetings’ of those really interested… enough to effectively trash threads and drain contributor and reader interest – unless they are fully impassioned of course. It’s particularly sad to watch threads intended to chronicle testing out something that’s new to the OP get trashed for no reason besides it doesn’t jive with the detractor’s world view… Anyway's for me personally it makes it doulbee useless to ever discuss the specifics of edges...

I don’t want to discourage noob threads, issues, questions at all – but the ratio of noob to experienced queries and offerings is getting skewed more and more… basically while TL has always welcomed noobs, I don’t think at its core it was designed as really a noob noob site…

Edited by zdo

Should I go to ET?

Should we all go to ET?

I ask serious questions I really don’t know the answers to - not ‘set up’ questions – and get no answers. At least at ET, I would get some opinions, spiced with condescending and derogatory flavor, but it would add horizons and angles I hadn’t previously included in my constructs…

Lately, my questions have been about big picture stuff. Maybe I’m just not ‘Lab-ish’ enough. MMS has also intermittently asked a string of big picture questions with sparse response. Is MMS also not ‘lab-bish’ enough?

Or just maybe more of the posting population is beset by shock, ptsd, hunkering down, defensiveness, withdrawal… but traders can’t be zombies! Should we associate with zombies? Hell no! Good traders can’t be zombies! Good traders can’t associate with zombies!

I watch as other posters, usually with a sincere but more fringe/niche methodologies, still get hounded away. The detractors aren’t as overtly abusive as those filling that role at ET or T2W, but they consistently interrupt ‘meetings’ of those really interested… enough to effectively trash threads and drain contributor and reader interest – unless they are fully impassioned of course. It’s particularly sad to watch threads intended to chronicle testing out something that’s new to the OP get trashed for no reason besides it doesn’t jive with the detractor’s world view… Anyway's for me personally it makes it doulbee useless to ever discuss the specifics of edges...

I don’t want to discourage noob threads, issues, questions at all – but the ratio of noob to experienced queries and offerings is getting skewed more and more… basically while TL has always welcomed noobs, I don’t think at its core it was designed as really a noob noob site…

GO !

You will say what Arnold said... " I'll be back "

LOL

Should I go to ET?

Should we all go to ET?

I think that forums in general need to advance to the "Next Gen" (Generation). I've never seen a forum structure that I really liked. To many old threads. To many useless posts. To difficult to find information. To many people with an agenda. To many people with no agenda. lol.

I'd actually like to be able to delete my own posts. There may be times when I look at an old post and think, "That was kind of stupid". lol I may want to delete my own posts. But that's just a simple example.

Forums really need to figure out what motivates people to visit the site, and provide an incentive to do so. The "Thanks", the "Likes" are good, but I'd like to see a better rating system. Which brings up another thought. I don't know the specific "Thanks" that I got from someone unless I go back to the post and happen to see it. The "Likes" show up on my page which is great, but I'd like to know what posts I get thanked on also.

I don't understand why every time I click on a Blog from the Homepage it tells me it's been removed? If it's been removed, then why list it on the homepage? Is it that hard to fix? There aren't any members who know anything about coding webpages? It seems like there isn't really much member involvement in the site. One goal might be to give members a way to feel involved and invested in the site.

If it's been removed, then why list it on the homepage?

TL is a much advanced site (technically, the features it offers). One of my friend started a niche forum, so I know what goes in building a site like this. Also I do not see any error message while accessing blogs.

I don't understand why every time I click on a Blog from the Homepage it tells me it's been removed? If it's been removed, then why list it on the homepage? Is it that hard to fix?

We are in the process of removing the Blogs all together, thus that's why we haven't put any effort into fixing those issues. But thanks for the feedback about the HP, we will address that shortly

thx

MMS

Hi,

Come on its not all that bad is it? Post counts have been on a steady rise since May, although Sept is a little slow, as was last Sept. But overall the activity\traffic on the site is growing. We are definitely not the size of ET or T2W but there are some great threads over here. What would you like to see different?

thx

MMS

TL,

re “Come on its not all that bad is it?” No MMs it’s not bad at all. My questions were about us members not the site itself. When I have an obviously incomplete and possibly inaccurate construct going, I like to be able to turn to those who know more than me for different perspectives. I ask here and then end up thinking “that’s more than weird? No one knows anything or even has an opinion about this?” and “is everyone so focused on the micro here that no time is left for macro conjectures (been there, done that – nothing wrong with it)” or sometimes “” is shock, fear, and denial running that rampant ? “ I’m ‘out there’ for sure – but not so far I can’t carry on a respectful conversation or listen very carefully to answers to my questions

So re “What would you like to see different?” I would like to see more of my market and trading questions answered to my complete satisfaction

:missy:

zdo

I estimate there are 25 + questions I have asked on TL which received a strange absence of serious responses. They have a cumulative effect maybe … and yes, I know there are thousands of singular noob questions that never got any answers at all… this is also about them too.

Examples:

Recently I asked about what it would look like / be like if USD lost its reserve status. The one reply was about how ‘you can’t get there from here’ instead of what it would be like if it came to be…

So I also asked what it would take to get there. Out of thousands of people comes only one reply – and it was from MMS – which makes him non lab-ish OR the only one not in shock or denial OR the only one who knows or has an opinion about it ???

Prior to that I had asked someone how they defined the teaparty… I do understand that could be interpreted as one of those trap / setup questions… but it wasn’t. My concept of the teaparty is incomplete. To me, they are just a bunch of plain ole regular almost dumb Americans who got energized enough to send representatives to congress with a mandate to hold the line on debt and deficit spending. Maybe that’s a WAY incomplete picture. Maybe they’ve now been co-opted into other attributions...

Anyways, worst case even if any of the above topics turned into a flaming brawl, we could still move the mess to the General Discussion section … and best case, we would all have a little bit more inclusive understanding of the issues…

... best I can tell from all this is that as things stand now, the talking heads continue to set the paradigms for thousands and thousands and thousands of us traders............

All the best,

zdo

So re “What would you like to see different?” I would like to see more of my market and trading questions answered to my complete satisfaction

I think a lot of the roads lead back to why people are motivated to contribute. What are people going to "get out of" answering questions? I'm not saying that I have the perfect answer, but we need to be asking the right questions.

None of us have all the answers. Collectively, our minds might get broadened and our perspective widened, and we might realized that a few more pieces of the puzzle actually exist. There is the individual good and the greater good. Neither are wrong, they shouldn't be exclusive.

When I first started using forums, I quickly accepted that I'm probably not going to get the perfect answer very quickly. And the majority of the time, I might even have to answer my own question. That's just the way it is.

Thanks Tradewinds. Good post

When I first started using forums, I quickly accepted that I'm probably not going to get the perfect answer very quickly. And the majority of the time, I might even have to answer my own question. That's just the way it is.

With me - When I first started using forums, I slowly realized the very best questions never get an answer at all. I always have to anwer my own questions. That's just the way it is. Still... the ideal is something like your middle sentence

None of us have all the answers. Collectively, our minds might get broadened and our perspective widened, and we might realized that a few more pieces of the puzzle actually exist. There is the individual good and the greater good. Neither are wrong, they shouldn't be exclusive.

hence the topic...

I estimate there are 25 + questions I have asked on TL which received a strange absence of ----- responses ...

I see that too ZDO. I've been trying to find a home for sharing and learning ideas but it's been very quiet for my liking, and I don't really post much here anymore.

I admit I'm attracted to TL because of the mind section here --- technically I've no problems (gotten my fixes from kreslik) but the psych articles here from some of the members are pretty darn good.

Anyway, not sure why you are setting up a poll for leaving TL, I don't frequent ET or T2W much but I can see those forums are on the same par as FF where balls rule more than brains :(

Just rambling ..... :)

I estimate there are 25 + questions I have asked on TL which received a strange absence of serious responses. They have a cumulative effect maybe … and yes, I know there are thousands of singular noob questions that never got any answers at all… this is also about them too.

Examples:

Recently I asked about what it would look like / be like if USD lost its reserve status. The one reply was about how ‘you can’t get there from here’ instead of what it would be like if it came to be…

So I also asked what it would take to get there. Out of thousands of people comes only one reply – and it was from MMS – which makes him non lab-ish OR the only one not in shock or denial OR the only one who knows or has an opinion about it ???

Prior to that I had asked someone how they defined the teaparty… I do understand that could be interpreted as one of those trap / setup questions… but it wasn’t. My concept of the teaparty is incomplete. To me, they are just a bunch of plain ole regular almost dumb Americans who got energized enough to send representatives to congress with a mandate to hold the line on debt and deficit spending. Maybe that’s a WAY incomplete picture. Maybe they’ve now been co-opted into other attributions...

Anyways, worst case even if any of the above topics turned into a flaming brawl, we could still move the mess to the General Discussion section … and best case, we would all have a little bit more inclusive understanding of the issues…

... best I can tell from all this is that as things stand now, the talking heads continue to set the paradigms for thousands and thousands and thousands of us traders............

All the best,

zdo

Hi Zdo

The questions you are asking are fundamentalist questions. You are looking at the big picture.

This is a forum for traders. Maybe they dont know the answers.Better still they dont want to know the answer because it will influence their technical view.

As a fundamentalist , with a degree in Economics to support it , I can answer some of your questions.

But I am a novice" trader" and feel intimadated by the guru label under your name.

Kind regards

bobc

pa18,

re “home for sharing and learning ideas but it's been very quiet for my liking, and I don't really post much here anymore.” that pretty much sums up my sentiments in starting the thread…

re “…attracted to TL because of the mind section …” Please start threads. Seems like everyone has hunkered down so much that ‘sychology’ threads are getting very little real action in any site these days …

re “not sure why you are setting up a poll” Yep, adding the poll was a stupid, snide idea…. don’t vote. don’t check results (like don’t tell, don’t ask)… I’ve done neither…

All the best,

zdo

Thanks Bob

re “Maybe they dont know the answers”

None of us know the real answers. I appreciate any answers just for different perspectives…( and, btw, "big picture" - yes, but I’m not so sure mine are really purely fundamentalist questions.)

re “Better still they dont want to know the answer because it will influence their technical view.”

I understand that from my own development and practices… but across the years have come to realize it’s better for me to flush out and acknowledge my biases than it is to ‘denial’ them… ie biases are already influencing their technical views anyways!

re: “with a degree in Economics to support it” - what econ language do you speak? can you translate to and from Austrian? ;)

re: “kreslik” what methods/angles you attracted to / applying from there?

re “intimadated by the guru label...” I don’t know how they come up with those labels / ratings for us – but I knew something was way off the day they clicked my IQ over 80 ;) As far as ‘Trader IQ’ goes, trader ‘smarts’ are ok, but being brutally decisive in an environment with blatantly incomplete information is much much more important…

Being reset to 15% would be fine with me... but if we’re stuck with the labeling though, suffice it to say I never met a good guru who truly respected being deferred to…or who appreciated any other pre-emptive defensive behaviors… let’s all just please ignore the attributed status BS and just talk trader to trader.

All the best

zdo

A very nice reply Zdo.

Maybe you should have been a marriage guidance counsellor.

I dont know much about Austria. I went skiing there some years ago. Kitzbul was beautiful, and your bread taste like sawdust.

What I do know is if your European Union creates a 3 trillion euro support package, there will be massive inflation.So maybe now is the time to look at some cheap property......in the U.S.A Also Austrian banks are heavily exposed to Eastern bloc nations. So maybe put a little "rainy day money" under your mattress.

Kind regards

bobc.

PS A lot of maybees in this post. Sounds like an Economist

Hi,

Come on its not all that bad is it? Post counts have been on a steady rise since May, although Sept is a little slow, as was last Sept. But overall the activity\traffic on the site is growing. We are definitely not the size of ET or T2W but there are some great threads over here. What would you like to see different?

thx

MMS

Hi MMS,

I think TL is great, but seeing as you're looking for suggestions I'll give you my:2c:

Strip down your old threads and seperate the information from the chit chat. Structure the information into no more than 10-12 catagories. As threads dry up continue to strip them down keeping no more than the rich and relevant information gleaned from each thread.

These locked threads would be information rich places to study and would draw in many to visit and become contributing members. Let these stay locked threads with no chit chat activity allowed within them, and any questions or comments could take place outside of these information rich places.

Next create a coffee house like atmosphere. Change the colors to be less business like, more relaxing and inviting by nature. People don't come here only to find answers, but also to find friends, make it more inviting.

Get a live ticker feed of the futures market, some major stocks and currency pairs. An instant source of update would draw in an unbelievable amount of people. You would see revenue soar, without a doubt!!

Finally, create a promotional section for trading/investment writers or the like to be invited to display their wares and become open for interaction with TL members.

I'll give you some more suggestions if desired, just let me know what you think.

Next create a coffee house like atmosphere.

Not a bad idea for a special section of the site.

Change the colors to be less business like, more relaxing and inviting by nature.

Please don't change the colors. I like them.

across the years have come to realize it’s better for me to flush out and acknowledge my biases than it is to ‘denial’ them…

zdo

agreed.... we all have biases... for instance, in regards to your original question on what would happen if the US lost it's reserve status, my personal bias is that such a loss would ultimately result in a shift in power as well... but that such shift would occur much slower than many estimate, because those in power will do anything within their power not to lose it!

I would love to see a discussion about topics such as this, as these discussion expand my own horizons and can dispell personal biases I may have, but I would find it very hard to relate this to trading, as trading typically involves much shorter time-frames.

I believe this may be a major factor in why such discussions peter out on these forums.