Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

SIUYA

Tricks of the Trade

On reading a lot of posts about the psychology of trading, the struggle between full automation and discretionary trading and the arguments between teaching trading v actually doing it, it seems that the majority are in agreement that there is a certain "art" to trading that can either not be taught or can only be learnt through direct experience. Additionally while the basis for a lot of the problems traders face are similar the solutions seems to be unique to the individual.

With that prelude I thought a thread welcoming people to post their personal tricks of the trade so to speak.

These tricks maybe things designed to overcome a fear, a hesitation or a recurring problem. They may be tricks designed to be a time saver, a money saver, or to eliminate a boring and tedious yet crucial task. They maybe merely what works for you in a particular situation. They might help discipline or focus, or might help eliminate distractions. They maybe be something you use everyday but it just developed and you often dont know you are doing it, or implemented it years ago and dont really consider it a quick tip for others, but it might not be so obvious to them unless its mentioned.

Even for automated traders, they must have quick tips, time savers, data management tips, mental tips to keep the systems working, so it does not have to be just for discretionary traders

I for one seem to always be coming up with variations of them, or things that work in certain circumstances - sometimes I stray and these help get me back on line.

While I enjoy a good discussion, as these are entirely personal, there is clearly no right or wrong in any of these and are what works for each and everyone of us in order to either succeed as a trader, improve as a trader or open new doors of opportunity in trading. Remember these are meant to be tips - not full analysis discussions.

What will work for you may seem insane or a little nutty to others - hence the requirement for artistic licence. (on that note, while I am sure questions will be asked ....if you feel the need to name call, abuse, think someone is bonkers and you have this overwhelming urge to let them know then while you have every right to do so, however in a thread such as this which is completely subjective it probably explains a lot about yourself that might require professional help....so keep it nice and arty with expressions of thats so fabulous darling, marvelous, completely insane but I love it!, the boys a genius I must have it on my wall)

On that note a few examples from me to start....

1....dont watch a PL, or risk or reward or other numbers in dollars and cents. Watch it in terms of percentages. This makes everything a relative value from pips, to dollars, to risk of equity, to costs of doing business. It focuses the mind on whats important and eliminates the desire to then convert those dollars into what they can buy in the real world which can cause problems in taking profits too early to lock in what the trader imagines they can buy, to not taking losses as they thought of what they no longer can buy.

2...three times a charm.....when I am looking at a breakout of something, I use this trick to make me wait and have patience. Often I find the first time something tries to break it fails, or it becomes merely and alert that something is going to happen. The second time, I might take it depending on the context, the third time - I am a complete idiot if if dont go with it. How often do we take the first break, get chopped out, make a little on the second, but then dont take the the third. (completely discretionary but this little mantra works for me when I am feeling like i have twitchy fingers to get into a trade)

3....While I dont do any fundamental analysis, I do read the papers etc. Before I do any analysis in the morning of the charts, I dont read these. If anything I only look at what the major indicides did overnight, and what the moves were....then I look at the charts, then I read the headlines - it allows my train of thought to focus first on what the market is doing and what I am seeing, before some journalist or broker poisons my mind with an opinion.

Back in the days of the 8 to 5 workday, I got up very morning, gobbled down a breakfast, hit the shower, dressed, then off to work… in the time span of about 30 minutes. After all that ended, and I had a job where I didn't need to do these things (trading), I tended to slip into the "relaxed as you wanna be" mode. The problem with that is, there is a fine line between "relaxed as you wanna be" and being a slob… my trading reflected that.

This is my routine now:

Up at 5:00ish (no alarm)

Prepare breakfast… usually something light... fruit and toast, but sometimes I go for the bacon and eggs.

Read the morning news… while taking breakfast.

Make the bed

Do the morning dishes

Crank up a pot of coffee and continue with the news

Shower / shave

Dress (the bathrobe is not allowed at the trading desk anymore)

Power up the computer… off to a new workday (7:00 ish)

This is a simple routine that I adopted, that prepares me for the day. It sets up a mental attitude that says: nothing will be rushed, no tasks will be dropped, everything in it's own space and time. The trick is: that during this "morning time", I understand that the routine was adopted for a reason, and that is in the back of my mind as I do these simple ordinary tasks… everything gets done in a purposeful and calm manner (just as I want my trading to be).

Trading may be a mental game, but managing the physiology is essential to a good mental and emotional performance.

Sleep: Get to bed on time – there is nothing like a good night’s sleep (eight hours minimum for me) to set me up for a good trading day. No sleep – no trade!

Emotional balance: Because I’m on the west coast, up at 4:45 AM. Savor the quiet – everyone else in the house is sleeping. I take time to look at the stars if it is winter. In summer, I watch the sky lighten. Feel gratitude for the peace and beauty, for my family tucked safely in bed, for living a charmed life – not necessarily everything I want, but certainly everything I need.

Food: English breakfast tea, strong, hot, with cream. Avocado on sprouted wheat toast (hey, this is California) and a hardboiled egg. Need that protein for brain function. Second cup of tea, time to turn on the computer.

Physiological arousal: When trading gets tense, breathe. Look away from the screen and breathe some more. Keep breathing deeply until calm. Think about surfing. Remember the way the ocean talks to you, tells you when to dig in and paddle, when to kick out. Some waves are good rides, some aren’t. Remember there will always be another wave, wait for the right one. It’s the same with the market. Breathe more. Now look back at the screen.

Low physiological arousal: When bored, get on the rowing machine, pull hard until alert and out of breath.

Edited by FXGirl

I wear my watch on the right arm. This makes using my computer mouse a tad uncomfortable, reminding me of the watch.

The watch in turn reminds me of the fact that time passes by and that it is me that needs to react to what the market does and not the other way around. It tells me that I have to be in charge of my position instead of letting the market do its thing to it. It reminds me of my own accountability and that blaming bad performance on the market is a loser's game.

It was Phantom of the Pits, with his slider rocker office chair and talking clock, that inspired me here. Credit where credit is due. :)

A

TURN YOUR CHART UPSIDE DOWN

a couple of people in the office were looking at the equity market meltdown yesterday (markets down 5%) saying whens the bottom, is this good bargain hunting territory, what do you think on the chart.

As they are natural bulls and generally long only, I took the chart (ASX equity market) printed it out and turned it upside down, and asked them - looks like a bull market to me where you want to buy dips, and hang on doesn't it.....they all agreed.

If you have a natural inclination to want to be bullish or bearish, and hence are always looking to go long or short and excuses to do so - turn the chart upside down and see if you have the same opinion - see what your reaction is.

(note this is not my idea - its an old one, but a great one for getting the mind out of looking for what you want to see, v what is happening)

CAPITULATION SIGNS

on the same note - yesterday showed signs of a market in capitulation mode - these are rare events and if you are the wrong side you know it. These are the puke in a bucket days - It is the time you feel like puking in a bucket and if there was one there next to you you probably would. ( If on the other hand you were on the ride side, the giddiness is fantastic, and you have to control yourself from thinking that you are a genius and then stop yourself from thinking you can then pick the bottom).

These are the days margin calls are sent out and there a clean outs. So on such days, call your trading mates - ask them if they are giddy or vomiting. ring your broker and ask them about the margins.

Then either sit back and wait, or apply a strategy on these days that you know works....as they can be very frustrating if you get it wrong and look back thinking there was opportunity a plenty.

(Personally I have been on both sides of the ledger previously and the only strategy I know that woks for me is to decide to close winners at either the start or the end of the day, but not to try and trade intraday - it does my head in an I loose my focus on the big picture. When it comes to the looses - just get out by the end of the day.)

Edited by SIUYA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • The morning of my last post I happened to glance over to the side and saw “...angst over the FOMC’s rate trajectory triggered a flight to safety, hence boosting the haven demand. “   http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/21621-hfmarkets-hfmcom-market-analysis-services/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-228522   I reacted, but didn’t take time to  respond then... will now --- HFBlogNews, I don’t know if you are simply aggregating the chosen narratives for the day or if it’s your own reporting... either way - “flight to safety”????  haven ?????  Re: “safety  - ”Those ‘solid rocks’ are getting so fragile a hit from a dandelion blowball might shatter them... like now nobody wants to buy longer term new issues at these rates...yet the financial media still follows the scripts... The imagery they pound day in and day out makes it look like the Fed knows what they’re doing to help ‘us’... They do know what they’re doing - but it certainly is not to help ‘us’... and it is not to ‘control’ inflation... And at some point in the not too distant future, the interest due will eat a huge portion of the ‘revenue’ Re: “haven” The defaults are coming ...  The US will not be the first to default... but it will certainly not be the very last to default !! ...Enough casual anti-white racism for the day  ... just sayin’
    • Date: 12th April 2024. Producer Inflation On The Rise, But Will Earnings Hold Demand Steady?     Producer inflation rose slightly less than previous expectations, but the annual figure continues to rise. The annual PPI rose to 2.1% and the Core PPI rose to 2.4%. The NASDAQ and SNP500 end the day higher, but the Dow Jones continues to struggle. This morning earnings kick off with the banking sector including JP Morgan, BlackRock and Wells Fargo. All 3 stocks trade higher during pre-trading hours. The Euro trades lower against all currencies despite the ECB’s attempt to establish a hawkish tone. USA100 – The NASDAQ Climbs Higher, But Is the Growth Sustainable? The NASDAQ was the only index which did not witness a significant decline at the opening of the US session. In addition to this, the USA100 is the only index which is witnessing indications of a bullish market. The price has crossed onto a higher high breaking the resistance level at $18,269. The index is also trading above the 75-Bar EMA and at the 65.00 level on the RSI which signals buyers are controlling the market. However, a similar large bullish impulse wave was also formed on the 3rd and 5th of the month and was followed by a correction. Therefore, investors need to be cautious of a bearish breakout which may signal a correction back to the 75-bar EMA (18,165). The medium-term growth and its sustainability will depend on the upcoming earnings data.   Bond yields declined during this morning’s Asian session by 18 points, which is positive for the stock market. However, even with the decline, bond yields remain significantly higher than Monday’s opening yield. This week the 10-year bond yield rose from 4.424 to 4.558, which is a concern. If bond yields again start to rise, the stock market potentially can again become pressured. 25% of the NASDAQ ended the day lower and 75% higher. This gives a clear indication of the sentiment towards the technology sector and reassures traders about the price movement. Another positive was all of the top 12 influential stocks rose in value. Apple, NVIDIA and Broadcom saw the strongest gains, all rising more than 4%. Producer inflation read slightly lower than expectations, however, the index continues to rise. The Producer Price Index rose from 1.6% to 2.1% and the Core PPI from 2.1% to 2.4%. Therefore, it is not indicating inflation will become easier to tackle in the upcoming months. For this reason, investors should note that inflation and the monetary policy is still a risk and can trigger strong bearish impulse waves. EURUSD – The Euro Declines Against Major Currencies The European Central Bank is attempting to concentrate on the positive factors and give no indications of when the committee may opt to cut rates. For example, President Lagarde advises “sales figures” remain stable, but the issue remains they are stably low. Officials said the decline in prices generally confirms medium-term forecasts and is ensured by a decrease in the cost of food and goods. Most experts continue to believe that the first reduction in interest rates will happen in June, and there may be three or four in total during the year. Due to this, the Euro is declining against all currencies including the Pound, Yen and Swiss Franc. The US Dollar Index on the other hand trades 0.39% higher and is almost trading at a 23-week high. Due to this momentum, the price of the exchange continues to indicate a decline in favor of the US Dollar.   Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • $MSFT Microsoft stock top of range breakout above 433.1, https://stockconsultant.com/?MSFT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.