Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I'm not saying anyone's trade will be wrong, just not to automatically assume that low volume means a lack of conviction. I don't look at it as conviction anymore, sharp moves are more driven by need and reaction than conviction.

extended rallies will often show both low volume and low volatility. declines are usually on high volatility. this can be seen through history - way before the first computer was used to trade.

this is partly due to the long only nature of a lot of participants.

talking about the long term time frames, not intraday

Well NFP came out higher and unemployment lower, but the previous figs had revisionslower and higher respectively. The figure also is being suggested to being high due to seasonal blah blah blah. What matters though is what the market does do. In my experience, it's best to not second guess it. See what actually happens. As much as some people wanna sell off that knowledge, what about the likelihood of QE3 if jobs don't improve fast? What would QE3 do for price?

Good luck and see what happens!

Good morning everyone! Gap close attempt and failure at 81's has me looking above today. Tested well higher after Spanish did well with their bond auction earlier. But Retail Sales has put a bit of a dampener on the mood. On balance, I'd expect tests in both directions with a bias higher. Obviously that could change on open if we bolt in one direction. Despite the small ranges recently, there are still some decent moves to be taken so long as you aren't expecting 20 odd points!(by decent I mean fit into expected behaviour).

Anyway, here's my chart for a quick peak. Good luck!

attachment.php?attachmentid=27033&stc=1&d=1326376459

2012-01-12.thumb.jpg.d01b9129d20b96c619385b94696e2911.jpg

Thanks N -- hope your trading so far this year has been what you expect! These low ranges have me bored out of my mind, but the moves themselves have for the most part been pretty well behaved. Thanks for the chart buddy, hope your day is grand!

How did you get on yesterday Josh? I didn't trade the 86.25 the first time. Nor the 81's took the 87's trade(less a tick) for 3.5 and that was it.

I was down -0.75 at the end of the day .. tried an early short that did not work out, and I bought 84s but did not get much out of it...

I bought early -- the real volume confirmation was on the drop to 82 .. I was just a bit early, but good volume support even at 84.

I was really asking if you had a reason for buying 84's specifically, other than the current activity. What determined the fact that you wanted to buy at that price?

I was really asking if you had a reason for buying 84's specifically, other than the current activity. What determined the fact that you wanted to buy at that price?

I can't remember all the details, but basically we sold off methodically, then found good support, then a nice push back up. 84 was somewhere near the 50% and I liked what I saw, my premise was a push up to 90s, IIRC.

It's been struggling at that 85 o/n low for 25mins now. Next interesting price will likely be the mid-point I'd imagine.

I got short 84.50 about 20 mins ago, looking for retest of the low, or new lows would be even better (78)

I forgot to mention that given opening type(regardless of type, what it actually did), there could be a further move lower at some point as it was quite confident(and responsive) in its selling. That is of course unless we get above say 88.25(ideally wouldn't take 86.75).

I got short 84.50 about 20 mins ago, looking for retest of the low, or new lows would be even better (78)

Just stick to your plan stopwise is all I'd say. If I trade at a price looking for a reaction and it doesn't happen, I have to ask the question why not. Yes it could hover then tip again, but also, it hit a decent initial target in that main move down and is now looking for more sellers. If it can't find them here, it might need to look a bit higher.

Nothing certain, just working through the logic.