Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mslk

Advice on Picking What to Trade?

Hi,

I am just starting out, trying learn as much as I can about trading. But there are so many instruments I can trade and I suspect picking the right one is probably one of the most important decisions I can make? Any advice for someone starting out?

I read the thread about why the eMini stinks ... how about forex or options? Does anyone have suggestions or advice on how you picked what you trade?

Thanks everyone

mslk

Hi,

I am just starting out, trying learn as much as I can about trading. But there are so many instruments I can trade and I suspect picking the right one is probably one of the most important decisions I can make? Any advice for someone starting out?

I read the thread about why the eMini stinks ... how about forex or options? Does anyone have suggestions or advice on how you picked what you trade?

Thanks everyone

mslk

factor affecting what to trade:

1. how much money do you have ? (free money)

2. how much time do you have ?

3. how much risk can you take? ie how much of the free money you can lose before feeling the pain.

4. what do your friends trade?

5. what books have you read?

To answer your questions ...

$10k

intermittent time during the day (I have full-time job) and time on evenings and weekends

3. how much risk can you take? ie how much of the free money you can lose before feeling the pain.

$10k! :-)

they don't, mostly value\buy-hold investors

books on TA and trend trading ... but they don't give much advice on specific instruments

thanks,

mslk

To answer your questions ...

$10k

intermittent time during the day (I have full-time job) and time on evenings and weekends

$10k! :-)

they don't, mostly value\buy-hold investors

books on TA and trend trading ... but they don't give much advice on specific instruments

thanks,

mslk

1. $10k is a good starting size.

2. don't trade the futures if you have a full time job... too distracting, you will ended up checking the market during the day. you will lose both your job and your capital

3. bad attitude... you will lose what you are prepared to lose.

4. trading/investing what your friends trade will help you get up and run faster and quicker (synergy factor).

remember, it does not matter what and how you trade... this is not your career. no matter what or how you trade, you will most likely ended up with the same profit/loss in the first few years. You can change your friends, or change what/how you trade/invest.

5. what you have read indicates your desire and inclination. ie you are not into options, or value trading...