Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

youngsequan

A Question for Active Day Traders

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask the Day Traders out there is they have a list of stocks they trade on a regular basis?

I'm trying to gather a list of stock to trade on a regular basis.

Thanks in Advance

You can trade something that zips along like RIMM or you can trade slow and stead with GE- and everything in between (from stocks gapping, earnings plays, etc.).

That's one issue w/ stocks - finding your basket to trade that day - which is why you may eventually move over to futures where the basket to choose from is much smaller and can give you better focus.

The only problem with futures, is that you can not bid 100 shares... So for someone new, even RIMM is too risky, sice the volume is low, and the slippage is way too high.

Would be better to trade SPY or QQQQ for someone new. It is like trading index, but you can size the position.

The only problem with futures, is that you can not bid 100 shares... So for someone new, even RIMM is too risky, sice the volume is low, and the slippage is way too high.

Would be better to trade SPY or QQQQ for someone new. It is like trading index, but you can size the position.

Both of these are great. Do you follow certain stocks too? If so you might want to follow the one that more closely aligns with your stocks. Having a handle on the broad market will help your stock trading a lot. I started trading these and liked the broad market so much I switched to index futures and more or less stopped trading stocks. But the q's and the Spy are great if the futures are too much for you to start

Yep, that's why I said eventually move over to futures. ;)

There's also the PDT/$25k issue for some and if that's the case then futures or forex is the only option to daytrade.

I'll give you a few of my favorite movers - but like mentioned above a lot has to do with what your strategy is to whether these would be for you. However, with that said these have fit my criteria now or in the recent past:

GOOG

AAPL

WYNN

UWM

SH

QQQQ

AMZN

IWL

ADSK

NETL

NFLX

IWC

BIDU

PNRA

VPRT

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask the Day Traders out there is they have a list of stocks they trade on a regular basis?

I'm trying to gather a list of stock to trade on a regular basis.

Thanks in Advance

Another reason to trader future instead of stock is tax. As of now, the highest rate for profit is 23% for futures and 35% for stocks. That mean for every $100 profit in futures, you have to make $118.50 to have the same after tax profits.

What if you have a loss? Futures allows you take the current year loss against profits from previous 3 years, while stock only allows 3k a year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Good point on futures. One thing I liked as well is doing a tax return. When I was a very active stock day trader years back I had to report every trade -- I'm sure these days brokers make that easier -- back then it was a real pain. Still, you have to make sure you account for all the rules, whereas with futures (and forex) I've always found reporting gains (or heaven forbid losses :) on the tax return far easier.

Not saying that's a reason of course to pick one over the other - but it's a nice benefit.

One key with day trading is focus. If your basket of target stocks is too big, then you spend a lot of time looking and not so much doing. I have heard that getting a 'feel' for how the stock moves is a great idea. With a big group of targets, you won't be able to get that feel.

Think about picking a single emini or a forex pair to look at and use to check out your system.