Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

cunparis

How to Do a Time Stop with Easylanguage

I searched but can't find a way to do a time stop. Is it possible? In fact I'd like to get a lot of info about my trade like:

- time entered

- price

- open profit

I'd like to code my own time stop and trail a breakeven stop.

Thanks

All possible :)

Need more specifics.

Lukas

Dosen't EL require a 'tick' to do anything? Not sure not something I have done.

Cunparis have you looked at all the date/time functions? Would storing the date time of entry and then comparing the current date time not do the trick? (subject to you getting a 'tic' to trigger your code).

I searched but can't find a way to do a time stop. Is it possible? In fact I'd like to get a lot of info about my trade like:

- time entered

- price

- open profit

I'd like to code my own time stop and trail a breakeven stop.

Thanks

code for time stop;

if time 1000 then begin

sell ("Long Exit") current bar at close;

buytocover ("Short Exit") current bar at close;

end;

Arun...

arunsideas@gmail.com

Dosen't EL require a 'tick' to do anything? Not sure not something I have done.

Cunparis have you looked at all the date/time functions? Would storing the date time of entry and then comparing the current date time not do the trick? (subject to you getting a 'tic' to trigger your code).

This is my problem with easylanguage. I don't think it gets ticks when backtesting, at least not using minute bars (I know one can use the look inside but that's limited to 6 months for tick data).

With ninjatrader it's event driven so I have a method onExecution and I can do whatever I want. in tradestation I use a stop order and I never know when it was filled. the only way I've found is to say

if marketPosition <> 0 then

and that tells me I'm in a position.

Could you use tick data on data1 and minute data on data2 to trigger signals. I guess not as the time stamp resolution of historical tick data is only 1 minute I think? I hear they are introducing millisecond time stamping at some stage.

Could you use tick data on data1 and minute data on data2 to trigger signals. I guess not as the time stamp resolution of historical tick data is only 1 minute I think? I hear they are introducing millisecond time stamping at some stage.

Minute is fine for me for the time stop. I was hoping there was a secret "EntryTime" variable or something. I find easylanguage great for simple prototypes but almost every time I write a strategy I run into difficulty doing something that would be simple in Ninjatrader. But ninjatrader has a downside in that it takes 50 lines of code to do something simple. However once you have your 50 lines of code options are unlimited.

This is my problem with easylanguage. I don't think it gets ticks when backtesting, at least not using minute bars (I know one can use the look inside but that's limited to 6 months for tick data).

forget about backtesting... that's an idea from the last century. It is only good for high level concept proofing, not tick level testing.

for code verifications, you have to do forward testing.

Edited by Tams

forget about backtesting... that's an idea from the last century. It is only good for concept proofing.

for code verifications, you have to do forward testing.

I'm concept proofing.

if x minutes have elapsed since entry I want to exit.

{simple entry}
If marketposition=0 and C>O then buy this bar on close;
If marketposition=0 and C<O then sellshort this bar on close;

{exit}
var: 
NumDays( 0 ), 
NumHours( 0 ), 
NumMinutes( 15 ) ;

variables: 
RawDays( 0 ), 
RawMinutes( 0 ), 
ExtraDays( 0 ), 
TotalMinutes( NumHours * 60 + NumMinutes ) ;

if MarketPosition = 1 then
begin
RawDays = DateToJulian( Date ) - DateToJulian( EntryDate ) ;
RawMinutes = TimeToMinutes( Time ) - TimeToMinutes( EntryTime ) ;
ExtraDays = RawDays - NumDays ;
if ExtraDays >= 0 and RawMinutes + ExtraDays * 1440 >= TotalMinutes then
	Sell ( "Time Exit LX" ) next bar at market ;
end ;

if MarketPosition = -1 then
begin
RawDays = DateToJulian( Date ) - DateToJulian( EntryDate ) ;
RawMinutes = TimeToMinutes( Time ) - TimeToMinutes( EntryTime ) ;
ExtraDays = RawDays - NumDays ;
if ExtraDays >= 0 and RawMinutes + ExtraDays * 1440 >= TotalMinutes then
	Buy To Cover ( "Time Exit SX" ) next bar at market ;
end ;

Ok I feel silly.

I upgraded to TS 8.8 which separates the easylanguage editor into a separate application. BTW So far I'm not liking this "feature" because it takes 10 seconds to open it. But anyway, apparently the help file was split into two, one for easylanguage and one for tradestation non-easylanguage (before there was only one).

So searching the TS help doesn't have anything for entryTime but inside the new TS IDE it does.

Thanks!