Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

NoviceTrader1

Trading Log 2010

P/L: +897

Balance: 4,549

Ill have to be quick as I have to cut the trading day short to study...Today was a good day trading soybeans. I had a good P/L day, but I am finding more and more and that focusing on execution rather than P/L is the key to success!

2_23_1.JPG.060df142c053ec4f76d22c18ec557268.JPG

P/L: +443

Balance: 4916

Today was a relatively good day as far as execution, I did miss one trade because of a lack of focus. I tend to start surfing the net and doing non-related trading activities when the market is quiet or is moving my way. I will be definitely be getting some rest and recreation this weekend, so it should be a blast! Have a great weekend!

2_26_1.JPG.092c51e2d0b75323664a06511eba17fe.JPG

P/L: -496

Balance 4420

I made a very stupid mistake today, I cutoff my trading after reaching my daily loss at ~$200, but I forgot to close out a long position in wheat. My daily loss more than doubled as a result. Rest assured, that this will not happen again.

I am done with my banishment and back to trading real money. SIM trading just doesn't work for me. I crush the SIM market - if my creditors would take SIM payments I would only SIM trade.

Back to real money +$162 - small but back in the black.

Novice, you are doing pretty well for just starting out... I've seen at least 3 or 4 days in a row where you are making about 250.00, that shows your at least doing something right... You're getting to consistency pretty quickly there....

Good Job.

For the past 2 days:

P/L: -387

Balance: 4033

I have come to a realization today, the days that I am profitable I only make a few trades. There are about 4-5 trades with certain characteristics, that work consistently. I spent some time today and put these trades and their characteristics on paper. I am going to stick to making these trades and see how everything goes in the next couple weeks.

I have been on a hiatus from trading for the past few weeks, and I have been focusing on school and getting other things together in my life. I am looking to land an internship for the summer, hopefully at a trading firm, IB, or something related to that. I did complete an internship at a small local financial advisory firm last summer.

Does anyone think that adding my futures P/L to my resume would be a good idea? I started my account at $5,000 last year...Started 2010 at about 3300, and now I am sitting around $4000. I think it would show that I have put in some time into trading on my own, and that I am willing to put in work into the endeavor, any ideas?

Does anyone think that adding my futures P/L to my resume would be a good idea? I started my account at $5,000 last year...Started 2010 at about 3300, and now I am sitting around $4000. I think it would show that I have put in some time into trading on my own, and that I am willing to put in work into the endeavor, any ideas?

Trading is certainly worth including on your resume...I would put it under something like "activities." You could maybe include P/L under one of the bullet points. :2c:

It's been a while since I updated this log, so I thought I might continue where i left off :). In the past year my trading has gone in circles, I've thought I have found a profitable approach many times, only to be disappointed later. I traded chart patterns in the ES, CL, NG. I traded Support and Resistance levels across numerous markets. I took a short foray into forex. All in all, I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.

I spent my summer reading, testing, and trading a little. Ive came across a very interesting blog of prop traders, who espouse many of the things that I've found to be useful :). These traders essentially fade pivots taken from a volume profile, they use a combo of order flow, market internals, and other things to find trades. I find this approach of trading very appealing, as it resembles some of the characteristics i have noticed in markets but have not found a way to exploit. I have always seen the power of pivots(S/R), but never found a solid way to trade these levels. This blog of helpful traders, may provide me with some more ideas so i may continue to learn and eventually make some money. I have been studying this approach, and hope to implement in my own way.

(Moderator: URL removed - promotion)

Im also graduating in December, And I hope to land a job as a trainee at a prop trading firm. However, my goal of being consistently profitable at the time of applying for trading positions has not been fulfilled. All in all, I don't regret putting all this time into trading, because I have learned about the hard work that it takes to be a trader. I will be applying for positions at Prop trading firms, and I will be including my trading on my resume. I am aware that most prop firms only recruit at top-tier universities and tend to only hire from these schools. I am at a State University here in California, so I may already be at a disadvantage. I have traded, and I have a passion for this...so hopefully I can bring this out in my Resume etc. If anyone has some suggestions that would help me break into this field It would be much appreciated :) thanks!

Another shill with multiple accounts. When the mods around here ever learn.

read through my thread, I am no shill. I mistakenly logged into an old account. Never mind the reference to the blog...As i continue with this thread my trading approach will be apparent to anyone following.

Enjoyed reading your thread. You are definitely on the right track. By keeping a log and your serious approach, is at the professional level, fantastic. I'm working on the same problem, moving my stop to soon and getting stopped out. Think big picture, don't shake yourself out.

Like to invite you to our free conference on skype. Traders Conference, we have nothing to sell, there are four of us in conference every trading day talking though our personal system, levels and charts. We support each other and have been trading for a few years individually and the loneliness and boredom annoyed us. So two weeks ago I decided to organize this conference. We have traders from New Zealand, England, CA, FL and NJ.