Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

aaa

AFL => MA Ribbon

// Name : MA Ribbon

// Date : 20100112

// Release : 1.0

// Language : AFL

// Author : TAMS

// http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f46/ma-ribbon-6992.html

// Adapted from Easy Language : aaa

// Color : Head2K

// Public license , Terms of use:

// You are required to include this header if you incorporate

// all or parts of the concepts or codes of this indicator.

// Differences with TradeStation or Multicharts

// 1) The lenght is adjustable with a slider in a floating window in Real Time

// 2) The loocback is projected in the future

attachment.php?attachmentid=17872&stc=1&d=1263642915

Snap2.jpg.b4b2fb84e3c11fc343e1465461642a6d.jpg

MA Ribbon.afl.txt

How to

Please delete the .txt extension and put the indicator in your preferate Formulas subdirectory

Dear James

Should it B possible 2 add *.afl FileType in the attachment key ?

Best regards

Hi Tams

I use your smart indicator on all of my averages and I adore it

It's cool to see quickly a reverse

But it is based only on the 2 last bars

It draws a line between 2 points like a finger Showing a direction

with Amibroker it shows the entire last 17 bars (ex on my graph) projected in the future

This is a huge difference

Moving the slider shows in RT that it is all of the average which slides in the future

In my example It could B interesting 2 test different lenght and draw an horizontal line at an eventual resistance in the future 2 C what gonna happen ?

Regards

Edited by aaa

In my example It could B interesting 2 test different lenght and draw an horizontal line at an eventual resistance in the future 2 C what gonna happen ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=18227&stc=1&d=1264248615

It could have been a nice short entry ( bubble blue = trend down ) the day after on monday at the open a little bit over the 32.38 resistance

attachment.php?attachmentid=18228&stc=1&d=1264248615

Snap2.jpg.e0d597674ed4222aad5d0ca7e02cc872.jpg

Snap3.jpg.4eb2dec8a38285d1e7799829b3fb2541.jpg

Hi Head2K

On Virgins and The Tooth Fairy is an interesting enigmatic philososophical view

"The money under the pillow is not evidence of the existence of the tooth fairy,

and spring will arrive regardless of whether the virgin is tossed into the volcano or not."

B sure that On this site I take good care of all views from pro traders like DbPhoenix or you

As a beginner, learning the basics, step by step, as a 2 yo baby,

I observe, think and try 2 find as much as possible "reasonnable" good reasons 2 enter a trade

- The white line is a potential pull back to a broken support

- It's also the 4th wave and we expect the 5th one ending down

- It's 50 % of Fibo retracement

- The trend was down

- etc

- etc

- and of course much more reasons that we don't know (yet)

All of them are not coincidences because we saw their patterns with, let say 75 % of success

Why Tams' MA Ribbon on my example, if we see this "coincidence" with 75 % of success, could not B an other good reason to enter a trade?

**********************************************************************************

So with x good reasons with 75 % of succes, we could decide 2 enter short over 32.38 on monday morning

Where should have gone the price during the day ?

a) Go down and making the 76 th % good reason of success ?

B) May B a good news should have explosed all these good reasons making a crazy long rally sliding down the 75% of good reasons to 49 % ?

Best regards

aaa

PS What's important is the stair-step based ... specially after a drink party if the light switch off ... Hips ! :cheers:

Edited by aaa

B sure that On this site I take good care of all views from pro traders like DbPhoenix or you
I've never said that I am a pro trader. DbPhoenix is a pro trader, I am just a beginner like you.

As for the rest of your post, well, it's your journey. My point, and the point of On Virgins and The Tooth Fairy, was just to warn you from looking for reasons where none exist. Price certainly had a reason to turn at that price level. But did this reason have anything to do with 40 periods EMA displaced for 17 periods on a 5 minute chart? I mean, can you even imagine why would it? I can't.

Just coincidence. What's important is the stair-step based S/R, your white horizontal line. You could have put the whole indicator away and leave just the white line... and see "what happens".

I'll second that :-)

There is also another "Ribbon" code to give you a simple on/off that runs along the bottom of Ami or Metastock to tell you if price is above/below your trend setup condition (MA). Gives you a very clean chart to work with and lets you focus on the s/r levels without any MA's getting in the way.

I have to say I found visual indicators very helpful with those light bulb moments in the early days of system exploration though :-)

Edited by robertm
stuffed up the quoting

I put The MA Ribbon into the Omega Research Power Editior and it wont verify. Two errors please see the attached file. Any help thanks.

word not recognized

that means the indicator is using a new keyword that is not yet available in your version of TradeStation.