Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Dinerotrader

What Do You Eat when You Trade?

I was just curious what other traders eat while they trade. I am in the habit of eating pre-shelled sunflower seeds.

It doesn't take my attention at all but it keeps me from feeling like I am bored while not in a trade. It also seems to make the time at the screen more enjoyable.

Dinero

I've noticed that I really enjoy eating candy while at the screen, particularly these: Hi-chew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But I try to stay away from eating too much candy, so normally I just don't eat anything. Around lunch time I'll usually get something small, like a bagel or a Clif Bar or something like that, but I'm usually not snacking throughout the day, I just drink a lot of water.

Breakfast! Over here on the Left Coast, the market opens at 6:30 AM. I usually am in front of the screen in my bunny slippers, drinking hot chocolate and eating steel cut oatmeal with raisins and pecans.:)

Breakfast! Over here on the Left Coast, the market opens at 6:30 AM. I usually am in front of the screen in my bunny slippers, drinking hot chocolate and eating steel cut oatmeal with raisins and pecans.:)

:rofl:

I am also on the Left Coast so I am usually drinking a protein shake right at market open. Bunny Slippers.... That is probably what is keeping my P/L down. I am going out to Walmart right now buy some.

Thanks.

Coffee and toast. I think I need something more healthy though

It seems like I have heard lots about lots of studies done mostly with children that show significant improvements in attention, logic, and memory function in subjects that ate reasonable breakfast meals.

I probably need to do some more research to figure out what foods I should be eating before sitting down in front the screen hoping to make accurate split second choices on trades involving lots of money. At a point where you are challenging your brain to absorb limitless facts and info, find pattern in chaos, recall prior learning, and then return an answer of "buy" or "wait", this is really pushing your own brain's power to its limits.

:missy:

Edited by Dinerotrader

I'm currently in the cutting phase after bulking up on steroids so my diet mostly consists of small children and annoying mother-in-laws.

Actually, I find that chewing gum keeps my snacking to a minimum. If I were to snack everytime I was sitting in front of a trade, I'd be a very big man.

Im on east coast--I make sure to get a good breakfast...for me thats 2 eggs and whole wheat pitta bread..tea or coffee.

Lunch is usually some kind of sandwich, however since I dont know when lunch wil be and I trade the entire US session.... I keep a jar of rasins (without any addatives) and another jar of almonds next to me and plenty of water. This will hold me until I find some free time to get a real lunch.

Dried fruits sounds good too, as long as its not coated with refined sugars and oils.

I try to eat 4 egg whites + 1 yolk before the open.

Protein shake as mid-morning snack.

Sensible, light lunch (usually).

Drink hot tea as first drink of day and then move to water.

Since I got going on p90x and trying to compliment that w/ a good diet, it's helped keep me refreshed and alert (most days).

I don't eat anything. Usually I set my trade up before I go to bed, and it is executed and over by time I get up most of the time. And unless I just see something obvious when I am checking out that trade, I don't trade again. Then I go back to the computer a few times a day just to check the charts and see if there are any obvious set ups. I spend very little time in front of the screen where trading is concerned. One of the benefits of trading off longer term charts, 15 and 60 min. :)

I don't eat anything. Usually I set my trade up before I go to bed, and it is executed and over by time I get up most of the time. And unless I just see something obvious when I am checking out that trade, I don't trade again. Then I go back to the computer a few times a day just to check the charts and see if there are any obvious set ups. I spend very little time in front of the screen where trading is concerned. One of the benefits of trading off longer term charts, 15 and 60 min. :)

I'm too much of a control freak to do that Brian! LOL. I would have a hard time setting up my trade then going to bed. Don't think I would be able to sleep.

;)

Getting to the computer to find out if you made or lost money in the morning would certainly get me out of bed. I might have to try that out.

I'm too much of a control freak to do that Brian! LOL. I would have a hard time setting up my trade then going to bed. Don't think I would be able to sleep.

;)

Who said anything about being able to sleep? :D

Holy smokes!! :) you guys are all so healthy!! I have a 5 yearl old to put on the bus in the morning, so I get up at 7:00 get her dressed, make her breakfast (cereal, bagle, or waffles, with fruit and/or cheese...orange juice, or whatever else she might like) and then I place my trades and off to the bus!! after that, I usually have some kind of protien, eggs, cheese on toast. Mid morning snack or almonds or walnuts and then a sandwich (with a couple of chips...guilt) for lunch!!

hahahah this is a good one, i like this thread

but i think people eat becaus etehy are excited or just bored. something or another way to kill time lol

I think that's what some of us are trying to avoid. Eating just to eat, esp while trading, is a great way to pack on the pounds.

I have muesli for breakfast when the market is in pre-trading mode. Though I try not to eat something later on because I need to keep my hands free.

When I get bored I generally listen to music and play drums with my fingers/feet. This doesn't distract me too much but lets me survive quiet times :groove:

Instead of eating something big like a bagel or bowl of oatmeal, I like snacking on little things while trading. Trail mix is great, whatever mix I choose this time around. Chocolate covered peanuts, always good. Asian snack cracker mixes are good for a change. All time favorite snack while at the computer?

Smarties