Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TAjammy

Where to Begin Learning How to Code Algos?

anywhere? well what language is used? any information would help thanks

I think you asked this question on another thread as well and was recommended by Tams to look at Easylanguage, which is used within Tradestation. This allows you to write algos as a retail trader, although there is more "heavy duty" software aimed at insitutions.

There are some free downloads of documentation at the following link:

https://www.tradestation.com/support/books/default.aspx

Look at Easylanguage essentials and Easy language functions and reserved words.

Also take a look at Amibroker which has a similar language, Again you can download free manuals at:

AmiBroker - AFL Library

AmiBroker Formula Language Function Reference

That site also has a free download of the platform and this includes the AFL code wizard. This would allow you to practice the concepts behind writing simple algorithms.

Charlton

Look at Easylanguage essentials and Easy language functions and reserved words.

Also take a look at Amibroker which has a similar language, Again you can download free manuals at:

AFL is a proprietary subset of "C"... it is NOT a similar language to EasyLanguage.

p.s. EasyLanguage is similar to Pascal.

Hey tams. C is also similar to pascal (and don't forget modula).

After assembler I programmed in Pascal and can assure you that it didn't help much with (lol) EASYlanguage. I think C is more like pascal (at least you can build good code with it because its rich enough).

FWIW. I think AFL was written like EL (higgledy piggledy) but the writer sensibly realized he'd better follow a real language and thus followed C structures which is good because you can write code for Amibroker which you can then move to real C (Sierra Chart) with little effort.

Interestingly the code I've seen/converted from egnigger is also very C like.

After assembler I programmed in Pascal and can assure you that it didn't help much with (lol) EASYlanguage. I think C is more like pascal (at least you can build good code with it because its rich enough).

FWIW. I think AFL was written like EL (higgledy piggledy) but the writer sensibly realized he'd better follow a real language and thus followed C structures which is good because you can write code for Amibroker which you can then move to real C (Sierra Chart) with little effort.

Interestingly the code I've seen/converted from egnigger is also very C like.

whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

C and Pascal are two opposite to each other. Pascal was made for learning and become basis of structural programming (tidy / conscious).

C was made in contrast to be a) effective to beat assemblers but high level language b) portable between different computers architecture.

its basis is untidy mess of shortcuts and low-level hacks.

they similar in a sense - like upper british university professor and experienced plumber - they have arms and legs and one head each.