Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Frank

Pit Noise/Alert Coding Thread

Electronic Market Pit Noise -- computer triggered audio alerts with customized filter features.

I was playing around with audio alerts triggered from a scrolling time & sales feed I get as a DDE link into Excel as a way to alert me when certain activity levels exceed various levels (ie, the market gets active while I am engaged in an instant message conference about how hot the current guest on CNBC is and distracted from the action -- an audio alert helps here).

I was first trying to find a .wav file that simulated pit noise from an exchange --- but I couldn't find it. For now, I am just playing a chime rather than pit noise.

Here is an example, if multiple 1000 block ES contracts trade within a 100 tick sequence, the audio alert triggers --- the crowd gets loud and plays for 30 seconds --- or the chime starts chiming X times... Just curious if others care to share their methods? Also, does anyone have a .wav file of pit noise that they can post?

Something that sounds like this:

http://flooredthemovie.com/community/

Like a gieger counter but more melodic? It might be intresting to change the frequency and amplitude (volume) of the ticks for block size so 1 lots would ping away with a high frequency tone but low amplitude. If you got a lot at a time you could raise the amplitude somewhat. Large lots would be low frequency high amplitude 'booms'.

Of course would probably drive you potty after a while :)

50 bucks, that is funny

tell ya what, I will post Excel-VBA code and anyone who wants to make a $45 discretionaary donation may do so --- private me for my wiring instructions (that was joke, I just copied this from an internet post):

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm

--------------

Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _

Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _

ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

Function Alarm(Cell, Condition)

Dim WAVFile As String

Const SND_ASYNC = &H1

Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

If Evaluate(Cell.Value & Condition) Then

WAVFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\xylafone.wav" 'Edit .wav filename

Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)

Alarm = True

Exit Function

End If

ErrHandler:

Alarm = False

End Function

----------------

just need to stick the WAV file in same folder as the excel file is in and use the following example syntax to refer to a cell (say filter picks up something in A1):

=Alarm(A1, ">999")

Note that even without your own .wav file -- it works with just that very common 'donk sound' a computer makes. ie, if in a column A and try to go left --- a little beep/donk sound tells you that you can't go that way.

then you can add as many filters and different sounds as you would like -- for free of course. I am not a programmer fwiw.

Edited by Frank

Have you thought about running some Trading Places and other trading movies' audio into Audiology and then creating your own 'life like' .wav.s or mp3's to play when conditions are met?

hey zdo, I was hoping someone had already done that for me... I checked out audiology.com but that doesn't look like the right site...?...? can you send a link?

a question is do you want a 15 or 30 seconds wav file to play if market gets active ?-- and continue to play if stays active? --- or do you want a simple 1 syllable alert for each time an event triggers -- which you may have repeat over and over if you'd like --- for X amount of ticks or minutes. this is so easily customizable that you can do whatever you want with any sound you want.

alternatively, you can play a different file if its 'pea shooter only' environment -- ie, activity is unusually low.

Frank, I spaced out and used the wrong word

audiology should be Audacity

;) re "do you want... " personally, I would want a voice (stress) analyser running on live pit noise... not that anyone is down there anymore :)

Electronic Market Pit Noise -- computer triggered audio alerts with customized filter features.

I was playing around with audio alerts triggered from a scrolling time & sales feed I get as a DDE link into Excel as a way to alert me when certain activity levels exceed various levels (ie, the market gets active while I am engaged in an instant message conference about how hot the current guest on CNBC is and distracted from the action -- an audio alert helps here).

I was first trying to find a .wav file that simulated pit noise from an exchange --- but I couldn't find it. For now, I am just playing a chime rather than pit noise.

Here is an example, if multiple 1000 block ES contracts trade within a 100 tick sequence, the audio alert triggers --- the crowd gets loud and plays for 30 seconds --- or the chime starts chiming X times... Just curious if others care to share their methods? Also, does anyone have a .wav file of pit noise that they can post?

Something that sounds like this:

About - FLOORED

you can create your own wav by using the soundrecorder to "swipe" the sound off the net.