Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

daedalus

Converting a "Show Me" for Scanning

I have a show me indicator that shows a simple candlestick pattern. I'd like to be able to have a list of say 300 stocks in a market scanner table in MC and then be alerted the when the criteria is met.

I'm planning on swing trading equities part time and it would be great if I could just check the scanner table once a night and see out of the list of stocks the 3 that have potential trades as of the close of trading that day.

Right now as it is the scanner shows the last value of a valid signal on a given stock. But what I really need to be able to sort out or identify is how long ago that occurred so i'm only focusing on setups that have occurred in the last day or two.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11567&stc=1&d=1245474202

Is there any way to make this a reality?

I'm thinking of modifying the show me indicator so that there is some kind of "false" default flag that would get modified to true when the condition is met on that bar and then going back to false the next bar... but it seems complicated and I think my logic may be a bit flawed.

Any of you guys know a quicker and easier way to skin this cat?

Thanks for your help!

Untitled.png.859ff8c41510e56530b68992a7024e7f.png

Thanks TAMS, but my concerns is that as of right now the show me is just keeping the last valid data point in its entry and on the print command it will just print out the last data point on all of the symbols rather than telling me if it occurred in the last day won't it?

You can program the PRINT command to spit out a report whenever a condition is met.

You can scan 300 stocks (or 1000 stock), if 3 meets the criteria, you will have a print out stating which 3 stocks are those.

i.e. you don't have to visually review all 1000 lines on the scanner.

I will post an example at the Print thread.

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f56/print-easylanguage-6000.html

Thanks TAMS, but my concerns is that as of right now the show me is just keeping the last valid data point in its entry and on the print command it will just print out the last data point on all of the symbols rather than telling me if it occurred in the last day won't it?

if you can imagine it, you can program it.

;-)

Thanks Tams -

Would it also be possible to add the LastBaronChart to a conditional IF statement?

I have the statement built with one big If statement that if high = such and such and low = such and such plot a dot above or below the bar...

Could I just add another AND LastBaronChart = true to the If statement and then alert "sell signal"?

Ok, so I add the "And LastBarOnChart = True Then" to the end of the if statements and then compiled...

I set the timeframe overide in the scanner box to act as if the data ended on 5/21 (the last time there was a signal on the KFT symbol) and whamo!

It shows up with the data but everything else is left blank!

attachment.php?attachmentid=11579&stc=1&d=1245538854

Beyond awesome guys.

Thank you so much for the help. I just needed a quick push and the little part of Tams code shoved the idea to the forefront of my mind.

Such a cool feeling when you have an idea and you see it come to fruition in code.

Untitled.png.9c1f688327346c9eb401363549318518.png

Beyond awesome guys.

Thank you so much for the help.

...Such a cool feeling when you have an idea and you see it come to fruition in code.

Your success is my reward.

:-)

Edited by Tams

Ok, so I add the "And LastBarOnChart = True Then" to the end of the if statements and then compiled...

In EasyLanguage, when evaluating a True/False statement, "True" is assumed.

Therefore the following statements have the same effect:

1) if LastBarOnChart = True Then...

2) if LastBarOnChart Then...

Hi Tams - I also want to implement a scan function in EasyLanguage, but I don't know much about it, and you're EL expert. Could you help me to to get the ball rolling, then I can work on it by myself? this is what I plan to write

1) write a program in EL to scan the markets for stocks whose market cap is greater than$20 billions

AND

2) they have been down for 5 days on the roll

AND

3) their price has to be greater than $20

AND

4) average volume is greater than 200K

THEN

5) buy top ten stocks (basing on market cap) from the scanned result at open

Thank you for your help.

Hi Tams - I also want to implement a scan function in EasyLanguage, but I don't know much about it, and you're EL expert. Could you help me to to get the ball rolling, then I can work on it by myself? this is what I plan to write

...Thank you for your help.

you might want to consider this:

Stock Screener: Stock Search - MSN Money

IE required.

I think I can use the MSN scanner, but by the time I enter orders to buy the stocks, then they have already gone up beyond my entry price, so I want to automate this process (a program in EL that scans for stocks that meet my pre-set criteria, then it automatically buys the stocks)........or EL is not that sophisticated yet?

it seems like you've writen a scan function in EL before ... Would you tell me how this program works. it seems it can scan only one chart at the time (because no do loop or while loop for the repetitive scan in the program), and the chart needs to be opened on the computer screen I think?

Thanks

// Scan Print (for use in scanner)

// version: beta 0.1

// Author: TAMS

// License: public use

//

// this indicator is for demonstration purpose only

//

// Description:

// this indicator scans the last bar on the chart,

// if the close is higher than previous bar's high,

// it will make a printout to

// a) the Output log window,

// b) the printer, or

// c) a file.

//

// see this thread for discussion

// http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f46/scan-print-6194.html

//

Input:

Send.to.Log(true),

Send.to.printer(false),

Send.to.file(false),

File.name("c:\docs\scan_print.txt");

if LastBarOnChart then

begin

if c > h[1] then

begin

if Send.to.Log then

print(NumToStr(date+19000000,0), " C>H[1] " + getsymbolname);

if Send.to.printer then

print(printer, NumToStr(date+19000000,0), " C>H[1] " + getsymbolname);

if Send.to.file then

Fileappend(file.name, NumToStr(date+19000000,0) + " C>H[1] " + getsymbolname + newline);

end;

end;