Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Did I leave out the part of re-entering on new lows?

;)

I have heard you mention that before Thales, a ways ago in the thread, but I had yet to grasp the concept of how to 'pull the cord' quickly' when a trade just nics your entry.

I thought about it, I suppose that is part of being nimble. How do you decide wether or not it is a re-entry you want to take, or how often is your entry just barely "nic'd" more than once? By that I mean, if you are stopped in, and price immediately moves against you, and you exit. But then take another re-entry at a slightly worse price....... Do you get these types of entries often, where you have to enter twice?

Edited by forrestang

How do you decide whether or not it is a re-entry you want to take, or how often is your entry just barely "nic'd" more than once? By that I mean, if you are stopped in, and price immediately moves against you, and you exit. But then take another re-entry at a slightly worse price....... Do you get these types of entries often, where you have to enter twice?

I get "nic'd" as you put it, often enough for me to have figured out how to stop the bleeding quickly when it happens. So long as the initial H/LH is intact, I'll renter on a new lower low unless price starts really getting wide ranging and over lapping within the range of the sequence. In other words, if price starts zipping up and down between the H and the L (I think I posted an example of this last week on the 6B) I stand down. I rarely get "nic'd" twice on the same opportunity unless I am shorting at the lows of a larger range expecting a bigger break down. Learning to recognize ending diagonal/wedges will prevent most of those.

All of the above can be flipped around for long opportunites, of course.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Edited by thalestrader
typo

1 Trade: BE

Even though I'm trading on replay and could trade the full 24hrs I have stopped taking any trades before 6:00GMT because I would never be awake at that time if I was trading real time.

If you do not feel right about a trade you are in, getting flat is a good course of action. You can always get back in after you re-evaluate, but it is tough to be honest with yourself when you still have money on the line.

I also like that you were not looking to chased the downtrend. I would have been happy to enter short even after a 200 tick drop, but like you, I'd rather get short on a short sequence after a rally in the downtrend, rather than intiaqting a new short at the lows.

Keep them coming!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Current look at the dollar index shows the dollar printing a somewhat suspicious lower high on its most recent attempt to clear resistance. Lots of stuff tomorrow - hearings, the Fed, and the State of the Union According to Obama. The Buck may be stuck until everything is out.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fb6e1e11_2010-01-26DXYO1.thumb.jpg.46afeb2a495fa6c2707071da3a7b3018.jpg

This is a very useful observation ... "If it channels, it is most probably corrective."

Your hint, to short from the top, is great; thanks, that never came to me.

My daughter asked me what I thought about a short on a break of 126.03, and loking at the chart, I was reminded of Marko's post above. I drew the lower channel line, copied, pasted, and placed it along the highs. Not a perfect fit, but it sure looks as though the decline from the afternoon highs is corrective, and that a rally rather than new lows is more likely. For whatever reason, PA often gets "funky," (for lack of a better term) heading into fed announcements, so it could go either way. At any rate, price did break 126.03, dropped to the channel line, and has found at least momentary support there. It could be just the bounce before the storm of course.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fb6e7207_2010-01-26EURJPYChannel1.thumb.jpg.2ffda4995d55f9b22520f4a393a01d38.jpg

Edited by thalestrader

I sometimes find looking at candlestick body only bars helpful for clarification of current direction and S/R.1264522597_1_UploadImage.png

Does it matter to you that your tcls be exactly parallel to the originating tl?

Are all of your trades initiated at either a TCL violation of some wort for reversals?

Does it matter to you that your tcls be exactly parallel to the originating tl?

Are all of your trades initiated at either a TCL violation of some wort for reversals?

I prefer that the tcl not be parallel and instead converge with the tl.These wedges are also called rising and falling wedges.Trend channels with parallel tcl's tend to continue trending until a large tcl overshoot forms a wedge.The wedge is usually a sign of weakening momentum and possible reversal of trend.It's important that a major S/R level be at or near the completion of the wedge in order to increase confirmation of trend reversal.Basically its a dueling lines concept where the third push of price,tcl and horizontal S/R meet.If price reverses off the tcl and S/R level then a 123 will possibly form and it's success will confirm the trend reversal.Many of my trades are initiated at tcl's but since they are "early" its very important to have a major S/R level included in the setup.What price does at the dueling lines point is also very important.Price should reverse and show ct strength.Until signs of ct strength than no trade.Sometimes a slight overshoot will occur before ct strength which i like because it traps late trend traders who add fuel to the ct when their stops are hit.The best reversals are strong with little sideways price action allowing me to scale out of contracts,go to b/e and hold the rest for larger targets after completion of the 123.Reversals that go sideways usually mean that the current trend is not done and the wedge will fail so i scalp out and wait for another wedge to form.HTH

Edited by patrader

Long one degree smaller... At 1st target.

You offer a very disciplined and accurate application of the approach - it is easy to keep your losses small and your profits large relative to the size of your losses when you take your cues from price as you do.

That is a great series of charts you posted this morning (for I would say last night!).

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Thales