Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Hi Thales,

I feel we haven't really made any progress on original discussion that all trend changes are preceded by a 123 and that 123s are an edge. To me, you seem to be mixing varying levels of degree to assert your statement, were as, I am saying that all trends do not reverse with a 123 of the same degree as the trend. I am also baffled how you can say 123s are an edge but you would not advocate trading all of them across their varying degrees. For if it was a true edge, one would want to be trading all of them unless one had extra filtering to enhance the edge.

I guess it's partly how you define 'a trend'. BTW all trends are delimited by a 123 of similar magnitude. Not all 123's delimit trends. Maybe that is causing some confusion. Lets leave aside whether trading every single 123 provides an edge it is irrelevant as TT's approach has never been about taking them all anyway. 'Context' is every bit as important, probably more so. If it helps you could quite simply think of the trade setup as the 'context' component (where is price compared to longer term S/R) and the 123 bit simply as the trigger. As with many approaches to trading you should not be looking for triggers if the context does not support it.

so I contacted a local NLP consultant to guide me through the process. We did a few sessions together before I started doing it on my own.

I went to see an NLP practitioner to try and improve my self discipline. Sadly I was not disciplined enough to stick with the exercises :D True story actually. I dunno whether I 'believe in' NLP, deep down I knew that the only person that could make the changes was me and that once I decided to make them they would simply happen. I believe it was Ekhardt that said "Every one gets what they want from the market" I think that may be true.

I went to see an NLP practitioner to try and improve my self discipline. Sadly I was not disciplined enough to stick with the exercises :D True story actually. I dunno whether I 'believe in' NLP, deep down I knew that the only person that could make the changes was me and that once I decided to make them they would simply happen. I believe it was Ekhardt that said "Every one gets what they want from the market" I think that may be true.

I went thru similar experiences, but decided to solve it on my own. For me the main problem was that I am a successful programmer. As blowfish already wrote, this is a curse.

Programmers who want to become traders must be brainwashed until they no longer want to be in control of the market during trading.

Edited by Marko23

GBPUSD looked as though it were willing to go either way last night. Once it broke the area marked by the blue lines, it went to target. There were downside targes as well, but at the time I thought that the likely direction was up, so those were the targets I marked off in greem. I wasn't making a call - just following price along and responding to what it was showing us.

Neither I nor my daughter traded this. We were just having fun watching.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17921&stc=1&d=1263821450

attachment.php?attachmentid=17922&stc=1&d=1263821450

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fa95b8f3_2010-01-17GBPUSDWhatfun1.thumb.jpg.c3bdab722931d39fb767cbcfc6c338a8.jpg

5aa70fa96166a_2010-01-17GBPUSDMostFun1.thumb.jpg.edcd32062a165cc67c186ecae41e8829.jpg

Interesting and accurate Thales

Looks like lots of folks in these markets are employing fib numbers.

BTW are the exit targets (green lines) fib values i.e 1.68, 2.68 of the range between the 2 blue lines?

If you had traded this, where would be your entry and stop loss?

Current (little late, sorry) look at the GU...

-----

Update: I know there hasn't been a lower low, but I'm playing it "safe" and moving the stop...I may regret it...who knows...

GU15M.JPG.04e28e6e911af701f58ef4fd48719e2b.JPG

GU15M2.JPG.31a2391e0d703349e58e14873789844f.JPG

Edited by Cory2679
Updates

Interesting and accurate Thales

Looks like lots of folks in these markets are employing fib numbers.

BTW are the exit targets (green lines) fib values i.e 1.68, 2.68 of the range between the 2 blue lines?

Fibs work great. But so do the ratio of syllables in the second phrase and second to last phrase that your wife utters to you every day.

Here is the current look at the EURJPY. What is clear to me is that price has made a low, price has rallied off that low in an impulsive manner, and price is now pulling back from the rally high .... Nothing ... is guaranteed.

As nothing is guaranteed, there is always risk. As there is always risk, we need to be aware of how to manage that risk. We all know that every trade one takes with this approach, if applied how I have presented it, has a stop loss and has at least one, usually two, and sometimes three profit targets. This is, of course, part of managing your risk. However, I have mentioned position sizing, and I have been sharing Van Tharp's articles here in an attempt to show how one might use bet sizing to maximize the benefits of minimizing one's risk. Let's look at two trades, both long sequences from last night, on the EURJPY to see what I am geting at with respect to position sizing and how it can help your equity curve.

This first long sequence did trigger, and the result, assuming an either 1st target or full stop loss management, would have been a -33 pip loss.

The second long sequence also triggered, and this trade hit both targets, +24 and +53, for a +38.5 tick profit. So a net profit in pips of 5.5. Not a bad night, but certainly nothing to write home about, right?

Here is the chart showing both of the trade sequences:

attachment.php?attachmentid=17926&stc=1&d=1263823386

Now, here is what is interesting. I have been trying to introduce the subject of money management through position sizing here, and in other threads kiwi and Blowfish have been discussing expectancy and risk of ruin. Let's look at how position sizing/bet sizing can help smooth your equity curve while helping to minimize your risk of ruin by looking at how position sizeing would have affected your result last night.

In trade #1, the initial risk was -33 pips, the two profit targets, averaged together (50%PT1 + 50%PT2) was 49.5 pips ([(29+70)/2]). In this case, had you placed the trade and not moved your stop, your loss was -33 pips. Now, applying position sizing to the trade, assuming a $500 micro fx account and a 2% max bet size, here is how the trade plan would have looked:

attachment.php?attachmentid=17927&stc=1&d=1263823386

You would bought 3 micro lots (3K) and your risk would have been $9.90 and the potential reward $14.85. The result, of course, was a $9.90 loss. Let's note that the leverage, in this case, would have been 5x's equity ($3000 trade size/$500 account).

In the second trade, the intial risk was 19 pips, and the two profit targets, averaged together, were 38.5 pips ([24 + 53]/200. Using the same assumptions, we'd be trading an account equity of $490 (after taking the 2% loss on the first trade. Againb risking 2% of current equity, here is what the trade plan would look like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=17929&stc=1&d=1263823785

In this case, you would have gone long 5 micro lots (5K) and your risk would have been $9.50, the potential reward $19.25, with the result being a $19.25 profit. Let's also note that the leverage in this case would have been 10.2 ($5000 trade size/$490 account size).

While leverage increased, risk, as managed through psoition sizing, remained identical with respect to %equity at risk. Leverage, divorced from considerations of position size, kills. Leverage, controlled through position sizing, is a blessing to your equity.

So, while you only netted 5.5 pips out of the two trades, you managed to finish the night up almost 2% on your starting equity after having suffered a 2% drawdown on the first trade.

Using position sizing for your money management regime can be made even more powerful if you were to filter your trades so that you'd only take trades where price going to the second target would result in a 2R trade. In such a case, the first trade would not have been taken, as the potenital reward was only 1.5R assuming both targets were hit. If you trade only for 2R rewards while always keeping your bet size as a % of equity the same, you will have a mechanism in place to increase bet size while keeping risk stable as measured as a % of equity.

There are other considerations, as well. For example, is 2% of equity too much (or even too little) to maximize the results of your trading appraoch. And while position sizing will slow the bleeding of a negative expectancy system, it will not prevent the inevitable ruin that comes with negative expectancy. I'll leave any discussion of expectancy to those such as Kiwi and Blowfish - and I welcome those discussions here - this thread should be a "total package" discussion. By this, I do not mean that this approach can be "all things to all traders." Rather, I mean that I would like for it to offer a comprehensive view of a trading approach - and that means money management and psychology in addition to the technical considerations of identifying trade sequences and placing stops and targets. I will keep bringing up position sizing as I think it is a crucial element to a well managed trading account, regardless of the size.

It is also a tremendous psychological tool - do you recall Larry Hite's interview in Market Wizards where he says all his trades are the same to him: Each is a 2% bet. There is no need to get excessively nervous or to put too much emotional stake in any one trade if each trade is a 2% bet. Every trade should be the same, whether it has a 10 tick stop loss or an eighty tick stop loss. If the required stop loss would result in an unfavorable risk reward profile (greater than 2% risk at the smallest available size, less than a 2R reward if full targets achieved) then you skip that opporuntiy. If you can make it so that all your trades carry the same risk, then, as you experience losses and see no long term damage to your account as a result of thsoe losses, losses come to matter less and less.

I could go on, but that is enough to get folks thinking about this a little more than perhaps some here have.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fa967450_2010-01-17EJTrades1.thumb.jpg.d9667a202edf4edbcd3d8542275820a9.jpg

5aa70fa96a30b_2010-01-17EJTrade1PositionSize2.thumb.jpg.4e4488c2dfd9bddce986b5877630c006.jpg

5aa70fa96cfe3_2010-01-17EJTrade2PositionSize3.thumb.jpg.f7166cfeaaca7eb5700c952c1ad3b599.jpg

Edited by thalestrader

EJ has taken off...

I had written off everything except the GU as dying and going sideways (the holiday was on my mind)...I guess I was wrong.

I've also attached a zoomed out EJ chart...showing what could be a potential long opportunity trading off a larger degree of trend.

I should mention that I'm not in this trade...I saw it too late unfortunately...

-----

Update: Looks like the EJ found resistance at the last breakdown point. It has offered a second opportunity to get in.

Update2: I've moved my stop. I may be being too aggresive with my stops today...

EJ15M.JPG.1c1876460b9137d40e23a73c1e128db2.JPG

EJ15M2.JPG.9ba251943e9cb7d508791cc0f5f39cf1.JPG

EJ15M3.JPG.db8ae4363ba7c11c73795fb962ff9b6a.JPG

EJ15M4.JPG.90c6159535c0416bd8e1be0f7206b1b7.JPG

Edited by Cory2679

attachment.php?attachmentid=17932&stc=1&d=1263826368

The targets are usually 1.618 and 2.618 of the Low to High as measured from the Higher Low. I will often place my actual target 1-5 ticks inside the fib level, and of course, actual S/R always trumps fib levels for me. For that reason, the targets applied in this example were the 1.27 and the 1.618.

Entry would have been a buy stop at 1.6293 basis the spot, stop loss 1.6247, with targets at 1.6347 (+54 ticks) and 1.6376 (+83 ticks) for an profit on the trade of 65 ticks versus a risk of 46 ticks. I usually only take a trade if the first target offers at least a 1R profit.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fa97f223_2010-01-17GBPUSDHLHL1.thumb.jpg.95aa6b1c6b8237bb1a8bd2efb39a815a.jpg

Current (little late, sorry) look at the GU...

-----

Update: I know there hasn't been a lower low, but I'm playing it "safe" and moving the stop...I may regret it...who knows...

Oh well. ;)

We eventually got that lower low I was looking for...

I realize there may have been a long opportunity in there...didn't catch it though...went for a quick jog on the treadmill while I was waiting! :o

(Although, I'd probably hesitate to go long just a few ticks below that breakdown point like that...)

EDIT: Looks like the long would have been a good decision, though. Oh well, I'll live.

GU15M3.JPG.f2cd80b8bae6c9072ec22ebe4972660d.JPG

GU15M4.JPG.ae7a90e84d1efe6c74f11cdffa9b793c.JPG

Edited by Cory2679

EJ has taken off...

I had written off everything except the GU as dying and going sideways (the holiday was on my mind)...I guess I was wrong.

I've also attached a zoomed out EJ chart...showing what could be a potential long opportunity trading off a larger degree of trend.

I should mention that I'm not in this trade...I saw it too late unfortunately...

-----

Update: Looks like the EJ found resistance at the last breakdown point. It has offered a second opportunity to get in.

Update2: I've moved my stop. I may be being too aggresive with my stops today...

Oh well...stopped out...maybe I moved my stop prematurely. We'll see.

I realize I'm basically entering on one swing degree, then moving my stops based on a smaller one...might be something I should work on...

-Cory

EJ15M5.JPG.e0160814d2aa0c5c0f322d3320e940b3.JPG

Edited by Cory2679

I realize there may have been a long opportunity in there...didn't catch it though...went for a quick jog on the treadmill while I was waiting! :o

(Although, I'd probably hesitate to go long just a few ticks below that breakdown point like that...)

EDIT: Looks like the long would have been a good decision, though. Oh well, I'll live.

Like I said, didn't take this, but it looks like I didn't miss out on much. I probably would have been stopped around BE.

I have a feeling that's it for me today. I'll be monitoring the charts for a little while longer, though.

-Cory

GU15M4.JPG.a446f6854a845657af8a6bb2ef2acbfb.JPG

GU15M5.JPG.4fedeff92a57074ca97ca2f92e59c16b.JPG

Like I said, didn't take this, but it looks like I didn't miss out on much. I probably would have been stopped around BE.

I have a feeling that's it for me today. I'll be monitoring the charts for a little while longer, though.

-Cory

Maybe a second chance GU long...?

GU15M6.JPG.1c872df0a7cb2d423142e49e224ae36f.JPG