Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Thales, we seem to be getting into semantics here on the issue of filters or not. I suspect each of us has slightly different meanings in mind when we use the words.

The one I like is Context because its what I see when deciding with discretion that is so much harder to program into a system. I see there being a mix of pre-trade context when saying "I'll take this" or "I won't" and post trade price behavior which might say "hold for longer" vs "scratch this trade." These seem to me to be things that can (but may not) come with time and experience and may vary a bit from market to market. They are also the things most likely to be unconscious choices in a skilled practitioner.

So where am I going with this pre-breakfast ramble. I will steal from daedalus's list:

Pre-entry Context

Quick and clean LH/HL made near the bottom of the move (to limit initial risk and get in before most of the move may be over) (but also suggests that pressure to be in is strong vs a lot of basing or a bigger pullback so joining the move will be more urgent)

Will break prior S/R (this also means longer term players will see it as a break of their S&R and will join in)

Entry isn't just before a prior S/R zone or multiple S&R zones (so we don't enter into the place where price is going to probably stop anyway) (note that this can also be a cheap entry just before a longer term break ... but its a tricky call)

Longer term trend Although trends bend they usually have 3 or more pushes that are longer than the retracements so if you are with the trend then the move you're grabbing is likely to be longer. Above or below a 50ema on a 4 hour chart is one measure.

A good clear run to longer term S&R This is a restatement of the above but what I mean is that price tends to push from one S&R to the next so if you can see S&R that will be important longer term then you are likely to be able to ride to it (where is the next old swing on a 4 hour chart?)

Risk Reward If you look at each S&R below for your short's exits and take a portion at each, what will your risk reward be? Is it good enough?

Compare the EJ chart above with the GU chart; you might also note that each was countertrend by my rules but one was close to its 50ema and the other had a good long range to get back to it (the rubber band of perceived value was stretched).

Post-entry Price Behaviour

Strong and clean impulse move (makes it easy to stay and suggest that there is more to go unless it is fast and hard into a significant prior S&R zone, then beware).

Short retracements after the break suggest that pressure to be in the down move is still strong and when they get longer pressure is abating.

Note to Gabe: Sorry, I was wrong; there is a contradiction in precise meaning and I've now used a dictionary. Coincide isn't the correct term because it means "corresponds exactly". Precede (hence resistance to the move) or Coincide/Follow (hence support for the move) would be better words for the problem version and the good version respectively.

Note to Thales: Sorry for introducing an ma. I try to see where others will perceive value and how they will see trend and find that an ma is an easy cheat for doing that. Perhaps I'll get past it one day but currently it keeps me on the right side of the crowd.

5aa70f543d583_3b.thumb.png.4c99fc2de0690a470ae37fc747697c93.png

Edited by Kiwi
Added drawing. And note to Gabe.

IIf the entry is AT PRIOR S/R but IT DOES NOT COINCIDE WITH A PRIOR S/R ZONE, is that a contradiction?

How can entry be at S/R but not COINCIDE with it?

I have a problem with the English form while I understand the concept you illustrated.

The concept I illustrated is the concept daedalus proposed. If you understand what I wrote, then you understand daedalus's post.

We each have our brains wired somewhat differently, and so for some folks, an explanation in one form may seem confusing or contradictory, while the same explanation is perfectly clear to another group of folks. The same concept explained in somewhat different form may baffle the first group, but be perfectly clear to the second group. That is ok. That's the way we humans are.

Don't sweat the small stuff, Gabe. You've come too far to derail yourself over this.

I'm pulling for you.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Thales, we seem to be getting into semantics here on the issue of filters or not. I suspect each of us has slightly different meanings in mind when we use the words ... The one I like is Context

That's fine, let's call it context rather than filter. In my experience, a search for "filters" invariably seems to lead many to use indicators.

You and I discussed in private a certain well-known system, and you told me that you rejected it because "you can do it simpler without all the darned indicators." I agree. I would like, as far as it is possible, to prevent such proliferation of indicators here.

Context refers to price and how it is behaving. I think daedalus's post (and yours as well) was a good one.

Filters often lead to something derived from price.

As these patterns we are discussing repeat, then presumably they repeat contextually as well.

Best Wishes,

Thales

What a move! Like usual, I stepped away from my computer before the big move. Once I saw it had made that huge move I switched to a 1 minute chart and looked for the 1-2-3 breakouts with much smaller targets ...]

Excellent, Dinero!

I too use a one minute similarly to the manner in which you used it. If you mind your stops and your risk level, it might pay to take half off at the smaler target and let the rest run for the larger target.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Too much resistance. Took a 15 pip loss.

What happened?

I thought you called that very well. What was your entry? What was your first profit target?

Look at the chart ... at the very least it should re-test that 149.83 low.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f545af42_11-10-09GBPJPYHeavy2.thumb.jpg.219df8e77618bcd99ff3c95d37288d4c.jpg

What happened?

I thought you called that very well. What was your entry? What was your first profit target?

Look at the chart ... at the very least it should re-test that 149.83 low.

Best Wishes,

Thales

:crap:

I was just looking at it.

I was called for dinner and the trade went against me a little so I decided to close it.

Do I feel stupid now.

My first profir target was hit without hitting my stops.(149.85)

Gabe

GJ_Nov_10_2009_15min-3.thumb.png.faaf945957ae3fc014d0f80fda0f855c.png

And what was your second profit target? Because I bet it breaks 149.76 and tags you second profit target as well.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Post 1027 has my targets.

4 targets eventhough I devide my trade into 3.

Gabe

I didn't take any of the trades tonight, which I regret.

Tonight was a good night. The entries IMO weren't as nice and 'swingy,' but still good nonetheless.

E/J: Price came right up to good resistance at 134.70, and yielded a nice shorting opportunity. The entry was more of a springboard than a L-> LH-> Breakdown

attachment.php?attachmentid=15087&stc=1&d=1257903096

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G/J: Price came up to a general bed of resistance here. Similiar type entry as above.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15086&stc=1&d=1257903096

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G/U: The short might materialize nicely, but I wasn't interested as it looked like it was going to break to the upside IMO, particularly when it made a HH instead of breaking down first through the blue line

attachment.php?attachmentid=15085&stc=1&d=1257903096

1.jpg.a4cc27228a8691d544b9b64c8acb2826.jpg

2.jpg.533c9fac500e7ab96f4619f7a523fc7a.jpg

3.jpg.30317ce691068d4271eda9dd514e8ab7.jpg

Watching the 6B right now for a breakdown.

.attachment.php?attachmentid=15089&stc=1&d=1257905471

Got 5 ticks out of the last move and now watching for the next one

attachment.php?attachmentid=15091&stc=1&d=1257907788

Watching this one

attachment.php?attachmentid=15092&stc=1&d=1257907788

Update: Everything just keeps going higher right now instead or breaking down. We watch and wait

6b5.thumb.JPG.fea1e85145dfd95237b154d83868a6f0.JPG

6E5.thumb.JPG.650544dceb9b28664552ac083e646c94.JPG

5aa70f5503d01_6J5.thumb.JPG.d65dafa874ed7e7d0bda68976ac1211e.JPG

Edited by Dinerotrader

Watching the 6B right now for a breakdown.

Got 5 ticks out of the last move and now watching for the next one

Watching this one

Update: Everything just keeps going higher right now instead or breaking down. We watch and wait

The 6J broke up and I almost got a good piece of it but I accidentally clicked the limit instead of the market order and it just flew past me. The 6E and the 6B might make there move soon but I need to sleep....

The 6B brokedown but there was too much support in that area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15096&stc=1&d=1257913298

5aa70f551d2cc_6B6.thumb.JPG.054e5e41fa8a3a0656d0618258a7947b.JPG

hmmmm ..... is this a message or is it just that gbp and usd are not Asia zone movers?

kw2.gif

I think it's just tonight. I think I get more trades from the 'G' pairs then anything else. The G/J moved really well today, the G/U just stopped for whatever reason.

I'm digging your paint bars btw:)

I think it's just tonight. I think I get more trades from the 'G' pairs then anything else. The G/J moved really well today, the G/U just stopped for whatever reason.

I'm digging your paint bars btw:)

The paint bars here are just to let me know when my night is so I get a better feel for how this works.

The indicator in the bottom is just because I will try to automate some of this and I look at strong thrust as an indicator of strength and thus where price is likely to reject if it gets back there. Its just the sum of the 6 bar and the 13 bar highlow range divided by a long average bar range. So it tends to go high when you get a 6-10 bar strong run. A visual check is better but I'm trying to find out if the indicator is "close enough" to help with some software.

Hi guys & dolls,

Just a theory I'm entertaining for the next little while, USD/CAD could be going lower and continue to at least the next zone I have marked on this 240m chart. Here is the idea I'll be trading if it happens.

5aa70f5525428_MK01_11_Nov_2009.thumb.png.590ab163b72152f5ad834dde053f0b72.png

5aa70f552e7dc_MK02_11_Nov_2009.thumb.png.8ac79e13121146683998395f790d2202.png

Hi guys & dolls,

Just a theory I'm entertaining for the next little while, USD/CAD could be going lower and continue to at least the next zone I have marked on this 240m chart. Here is the idea I'll be trading if it happens.

Chart says it all...............................

5aa70f5534a6d_MK04_11_Nov_2009.png.23a4ab56d4ffa651545d4e5165f4557c.png

Took another quick trade last nigh and made 30 pips after the initial loser of 15 pips.

Had I kept my original postion , the 3 first targets were met.(I did not draw the 4th target in the 2nd chart)

I have to trust myself - or what I see - more.

Gabe

PS I have added a 1min chart of my last trade from last night.

Orange triangle = Short entry.

Blue Triangle = short close (3/3)

GJ_Nov_10_2009_15min.thumb.png.87a5b027c489a3d7b46481e3fcd57384.png

GJ_Nov_10_2009_15min-4.thumb.png.20667c88183db4ced7f994dfb8186871.png

GJ_Nov_10_2009_15min-5.thumb.png.28c367502e847febb3a83c9dcfe7f8bd.png

Very nice, MidK. That was very reasonable analysis, with a well structured traidng plan.

Congratulations!

Best Wishes,

Thales