Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

Why the smaller than "normal" SL? -- normal being the just below the swing low.

(I have an order in for the same trade.)

I hadn't decided on the stop loss at that point. I was waiting to see if we had another HL before long entry. I needed a stop at that line or above to make a 1:1 first target, so without a pullback to a higher low that held above that point, no trade for me.

Best Wishes,

Thales

The key value to fibs is.....that they provide a sense of proportion with respect to price movements

and how the various wiggles of all sizes fit in with one another. And that really is all. S/R is still the paramount consideration. But S/R...

instead presents us with zones. Fibs help us to choose a proportionately appropriate level within that zone for us to watch...

Something like this?

(6A)

5aa70fadb8dae_6A03-101_20_2010(15Min)a..thumb.jpg.d8b87d54f619655c2e3e4e7fb928c21d.jpg

I think I may need a few words from you regarding just to what "something like this" refers.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Apologies Thales.

I had included, in my post, quotes from your comments re: fibs/zones/degree of swing etc..?

"Something like this" was in reference to whether I was understanding (however broadly) what you had kindly explained there in.

With respect to supply zone becoming resistance zone and how fibs may assist in a degree of swing we might expect.

Also how a swing may be seen within an

appropriate degree (context) ?

Still much to learn.

Thx and kind regards

Is there anything here that looks like this will rally?

Not trading this, just posting it.

I didn't trade this either, Forrest, but I marked it off since I already had the blueredgreengreen lines from earlier. You could still get filled right this second at the 1130 buy point if you wer so inclined. I am not so inclined at the moment.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fae26990_2010-01-20ES7.thumb.jpg.951c6fa9313490d231ac441ea1ce1334.jpg

Apologies Thales.

I had included, in my post, quotes from your comments re: fibs/zones/degree of swing etc..?

"Something like this" was in reference to whether I was understanding (however broadly) what you had kindly explained there in.

With respect to supply zone becoming resistance zone and how fibs may assist in a degree of swing we might expect.

Also how a swing may be seen within an

appropriate degree (context) ?

Still much to learn.

Thx and kind regards

First, no need to apologize unless you do something rude. You did nothing of the sort, so I cannot accept your apology, and you can save it for later, just in case you need it in the future (though I doubt you will have occasion to need to use it). If I understand your example, then I would say yes, you applied the fib tool to swings of like degree between S/R, and out of that generated target(s) of like degree. If that is what you were doing, then I would say, yes, exactly like that.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Edited by thalestrader

ES ... the couldawouldashoulda that keeps couldawouldashoulda-ing ...

I extended the green PT's back in time to show how they match up with S/R levels. PT1, for example, is below the 1.618 as S/R is itself below that level. The other two line up pretty well with the 2.618 and 4.23 fib levels.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fae2cd35_2010-01-20ES8.thumb.jpg.ebea2f39cd4e23feeda5b6627b5bf2c5.jpg

ES ... the couldawouldashoulda that keeps couldawouldashoulda-ing ...

I extended the green PT's back in time to show how they match up with S/R levels. PT1, for example, is below the 1.618 as S/R is itself below that level. The other two line up pretty well with the 2.618 and 4.23 fib levels.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Ha, Thales I was just about to ask you if you took that trade, as its very similar to your short from last night. I missed fill like a loser.

EDIT: And that's interesting about the fib levels and s/r swing points. I was going to ask you why you didn't use levels like 37.5 for the scales and then I realized the fib levels lined up. Coincidence?

Coincidence?

No, I'm pretty much directing the entire show from this thread.

Best Wishes,

Thales

But in all seriousness, I think it is not a coincidence. I think that fib levels do somehow touch upon a natural sense of, and if not sense, at least a desire for proportion we wonderful human creatures possess - a sense that extends from our recognition of beauty to movements on a price chart.

1 trade: +50

I couldn't decide on a target for this trade and originally just put it on a round number 141.00 which would have been +75. I had second thoughts and moved it to +50 but if I was trading 2 contracts then my second target would've have been 141.00 :).

5aa70fae49aeb_6E20100120.thumb.png.a3b9120d3ba531c5601c8ad7fed521d5.png

1 trade: +50

I couldn't decide on a target for this trade and originally just put it on a round number 141.00 which would have been +75. I had second thoughts and moved it to +50 but if I was trading 2 contracts then my second target would've have been 141.00 :).

You seem to have much better results when you trade less. Don't be discouraged when you have a day with just 1 or 2 trades and both lose. It happens.

Nice job!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Thales.

I have a question about when taking trades that you let go without actively managing them (presumably overnight).

Do you not have a way of getting the stop to BE?

I guess if you had two PT's, the first at 1:1 R/R and the second at 2:1, if the first PT got hit and the second didn't and the second half got stopped for a loss, you would break even on that trade overall.

Or would it be a good idea to use a trailing stop along with profit targets?

(maybe a trailing stop on the half shooting for PT2?)

Or would it be a good idea to just have one profit target?

Basically, I'm just asking for general guidelines/advice for leaving trades overnight.

(This is "addressed" to Thales, but obviously I'd appreciate input from anyone!)

Thanks,

Cory

Don't be discouraged when you have a day with just 1 or 2 trades and both lose.

I think that day is not too far away. I think I have had a fair bit of luck over the last few days catching the big moves down.