Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tams

Anyone Using 30" Monitors?

Hi Tams

I'm using 24 inch too and have also considered going to a bigger size. I think its really a matter of the resolution you are going to use. There is an issue of both the monitor resolution capability and your graphics card resolution capability.

I've got a few 22" monitors here and they are good. I was thinking of going bigger as well, but have been told there could be graphic card issues and might be easier/better to add another monitor if need be.

I think it will depend on the graphics cards you have and whether they can handle it or not.

Since I revamped my studio, so far 22 are doing a good job... I still think that having bigger size would probably represent a fisical problem to stack them and not getting a neck pain eventually... cheers the chimp.

Macbook pro with 17" screen here. Gave up on the Cape Canaveral setup ages ago. I'd be interested how many instruments people follow with the extra real estate?

So many possible markets to watch BF. Guess it depends on the user. Personally, I am usually watching:

3 bond markets

3 indexes

3 currencies

oil

and maybe a few misc contracts. Is it overkill? Sure. At the least, I need my 3 bond markets and while could be manageable on 1 screen, I really prefer at least 2 screens, if not 3.

I currently use a 30" monitor for my charting platform and three 19" monitors for order execution and some other charts. I really like the clean look of the 30" monitor which has no bezel in the middle of it like a multiple monitor setup and that I can stack decent-sized charts one on top of the other. I also like the high resolution, but this could be a negative for some people because the text is quite small.

The 30" monitor provides a native resolution of 2560x1600. But if you already have two 24" monitors, I wouldn't upgrade to 30" monitor because two 24" monitors provides more screen real estate and I couldn't really justify the expense. However, at some point, I will consider replacing my three 19" monitors with another 30" monitor.

So many possible markets to watch BF. Guess it depends on the user. Personally, I am usually watching:

3 bond markets

3 indexes

3 currencies

oil

and maybe a few misc contracts. Is it overkill? Sure. At the least, I need my 3 bond markets and while could be manageable on 1 screen, I really prefer at least 2 screens, if not 3.

There are lots of variables if you are trading hourly bars or even dailies (not that I do) it's not so much trouble to 'flip'. I bought a new desktop setup about I dunno 6 months ago....as yet no trading software just games <blush>.

personally, not sure what people are talking about when talk about resolution etc... we are not doing PC gaming here, just charts --- I have never had a problem with any monitor I have ever had -- perhaps that is luck but I have also never bought a high-end monitor. what a waste of money to stay on cutting-edge.....

-- 'Late Adopter' Frank

If you are into high definition charting...

i.e. charts with lots of indicators, trendlines, arrows, stars, circles, text reminders, etc.,

then a higher resolution monitor helps.

Otherwise any monitor would do.

If you are into high definition charting...

i.e. charts with lots of indicators, trendlines, arrows, stars, circles, text reminders, etc.,

then a higher resolution monitor helps.

Otherwise any monitor would do.

I do all this stuff and can see it all perfectly with a DVI connection and cheap but powerful monitors that I upgrade every few years --- generally buying one new monitor a year and kicking the bottom one out of the rotation...

just got back from Best Buy and really liked this Gateway --

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FHD2401-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001CBUTJS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid

=1239745790&sr=8-3

I pretty much take the stance that when it's time to upgrade, I upgrade everything - computer and monitors. When it's time, everything is done at once. I guess I just prefer to have all of it done at once and then not have to worry about it for awhile.

i use to have a 42" monitor, now i have 4, 22" inch monitors. i like the 4 monitors better, i feel like i get more of out it. a big monitor is just a pain in the azz, plus when im not trading i just turn my top 2 monitors off