Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2009

Read thru this thread and I am really impressed. Everyone is very helpful and upbeat. Looking forward to participating. Thanks to all for posting their P&L, the wins and losses very inspiring.

The losses are more interesting to me because it shows the real world of trading plus the fact that you get up and keep trading thru it. Keeps it very real.

Sincerely,

Bruce Hawkins

Tonkadad

11-4-09: -$250.00

smiley-angry047.gif

Where to start...

I about f'd this up as best as I could today. I'm not even sure how to explain. Suffice to say that the ZF bent me over and the ZS should have been a winner. Oh yeah, I exited GGC way before I should have. Only bright spot was GCL & Russell.

Good news is that I'm working on a little indicator/plotting thing that should help w/ entries. That was the issue on the ZS - I saw the trade, needed my entry level and by the time I hit it, price said adios sucker. If that wasn't a blatant sell spot, I don't know what is. Since I hate chasing, I just couldn't get into it. That's a user error, not system issue.

I bet the f'in monkey could have gotten in though.

Everyone say hi to the trading monkey:

9.gif

11-4-2009.png.97f155eee43edf19f482dfda4691b2bc.png

Edited by brownsfan019

Super busy with other stuff today. $243 of that ZS profit was from yesterday's close out of the position after hours. Expecting some reversal moves from the ZS since it was at the top of its range helped out in catching some of the bigger moves.

Fills question

Do you ever get filled in live trading if you put a limit at the current price on the ES or does that never happen?

Dinero - couple things -

1) Don't get too excited about that ZS profit unless you plan to hold overnight. I was hoping it would fail on you so you learn a lesson. Do NOT let that profit fool you into thinking you can routinely hold the ZS overnight. I know how that profit looks, but keep in mind it could have been the same or more in negatives.

2) ES fills - if you are entering via limit orders, you should assume that price MUST trade through your level to get filled. Ex: if you are buying 1051.50 price will need to touch 1051.25 to assume you got filled. It doesn't have to touch it long, but it does need to touch it. On your sim trading, place your entry 1 tick above/below your ideal entry and that will mimic live trading. Same with exits. That's part of the issue I have with the ES - price must go against you 1 tick to get filled on your entry and price must go past your exit by 1 tick to get your exit filled. That's 2 ticks price must travel against you in order for your orders to ensure being filled.

Dinero - couple things -

1) Don't get too excited about that ZS profit unless you plan to hold overnight. I was hoping it would fail on you so you learn a lesson. Do NOT let that profit fool you into thinking you can routinely hold the ZS overnight. I know how that profit looks, but keep in mind it could have been the same or more in negatives.

I totally agree. I put how much I made from that trade so readers of this thread wouldn't think I had made the $243 of today's ZS profit. When I got out right at the open in the evening for a profit, I would rather have had a big loss from it so it stuck in my mind more. I plan on NEVER holding overnight. That was certainly a mistake.

2) ES fills - if you are entering via limit orders, you should assume that price MUST trade through your level to get filled. Ex: if you are buying 1051.50 price will need to touch 1051.25 to assume you got filled. It doesn't have to touch it long, but it does need to touch it. On your sim trading, place your entry 1 tick above/below your ideal entry and that will mimic live trading. Same with exits. That's part of the issue I have with the ES - price must go against you 1 tick to get filled on your entry and price must go past your exit by 1 tick to get your exit filled. That's 2 ticks price must travel against you in order for your orders to ensure being filled.

That makes SIM'ing the ES so deceiving. I will have to reevaluate my ES trades.

Sim trading has limitations and some are better than others. It also is a function of the market you are trading - the ES is one of the highest traded markets daily (volume), which means that there are big lines at each level and you cannot assume that if prices touches your level you will get a fill. It's a good assumption that you are at the back of the line and the only way you're going to advance is if that line is depleted and they have to move to a new line. Hopefully that makes sense.

Sim trading has limitations and some are better than others. It also is a function of the market you are trading - the ES is one of the highest traded markets daily (volume), which means that there are big lines at each level and you cannot assume that if prices touches your level you will get a fill. It's a good assumption that you are at the back of the line and the only way you're going to advance is if that line is depleted and they have to move to a new line. Hopefully that makes sense.

That makes a lot of sense. Can you assume on any contract that you will get a fill at the current price?

Does your DOM ever freeze? My DOM froze up today so I couldn't trade or do anything for about 5 seconds and price moved past my buy so I couldn't tell if I was in or what..., needless to say, I was freaking out.

That makes a lot of sense. Can you assume on any contract that you will get a fill at the current price?

Does your DOM ever freeze? My DOM froze up today so I couldn't trade or do anything for about 5 seconds and price moved past my buy so I couldn't tell if I was in or what..., needless to say, I was freaking out.

You can never assume you will get a fill when price touches your level, but it's much easier on the CL or ZS for example vs. the ES. Just look at the depth and see what you have to get through.

I think that momentary pause happens on sim, but send a support ticket to OEC and let them know. The more that tell them there's issues, the more likely it will get addressed. I don't hesitate to send support tickets when there's an issue. They are working for you, so send a support ticket when there's a concern.

On the ES, I am trying a bathrobe approach at trying to look for smaller profit targets and seeing if I can find where on the chart I have the most confidence in price moving my way. Going for 4 ticks profit for some reason has been working many times over for the last 2 days but ultimately, I want to only be taking a few of those trades with many more contracts. My first goal is to just pay for my lunch everyday.;)

Regarding trading for smaller tick sizes with a smaller account eventually you will lose, if you are unable to correctly read pa and get close out with a loss (very hard to do with real cash, every tick in your direction you hope and hope should never enter into trading). When I started my target was 3 points, when I got to 2 my stop moved to +1, one of the main reasons I take quick profits is because I hold on average 500+ contracts the fear level is pretty crazy along with everything else like keeping orders out of the queue and other considerations that go with this. Anyhow I would look for setups that yield more points/ticks.

:2c:

And tehe streaketh endeth!

Couldn't make it to 10 winning days in a row. After 9 winning days and around 300 pips profit, today was red. Not bothered at all. Just because of my pescimistic/supersticious nature, im hoping that it doesn't mark the start of a similar run, but this time losing days! lol. Also, after a good run and because my method is most priceaction/discressionary, you start to ask yourself whether you are trading slightly different to how you usually do without realising it. Pretty sure im being quite consistent and you obviously cant win em all.

2 other things to mention. 1, that it could have been alot worse. I was down over double that amout at one point, but then a trade from my ES system (remember the little equity curve thing i posted a few days ago?) gave me a nice 30 pip(3 ES points) winner, making the red day less painful.

Other thing to mention is that it could have also easliy been another good day. I missed one of my bread and butter setups in the pre-market. I only have one pair of eyes, and dont know a thing about programming/alerts, and my method is slightly disressionary so its inevitable that i miss trades from time to time. Would have been a very good one too! :(

Still. Lets see what the next few trading sessions bring....

tlpnl.thumb.JPG.a526b222b9541894ec526085d75223e9.JPG

11-5-09: +$535.63

Good day overall. Missed a nice oil short b/c I was concerned about preserving that I had here. That was dumb. :doh:

I tried something today that I've done before - I turned off my p/l tracker on the DOM so that I could manage the trade w/o influence of seeing the $$$$ behind each trade and each tick move. Seemed to work a little better today as I salvaged the Russell as my first trade was a loser and the 2nd a winner, which covered the loser and then some. I know if I was watching that thing tick up and down I would have flattened as soon as I was even.

If you're using OEC, here's how to turn off the p/l on your actual dom:

attachment.php?attachmentid=14906&stc=1&d=1257438366

11-5-2009.png.1c5fce1114a4ba52ef1e13dafa341742.png

5aa70f4f5b4d9_OECdomoptions.png.33209f18bd9073f2a0946c796e8e2076.png

Edited by brownsfan019

My charts started freezing again this morning and I didn't have total focus so had to sit today out.

Make sure to send a support ticket to OEC if you haven't. Let them know of what issues you are having.

As I type this I am shaking, I entered into a large CL position and my computer freezes, my cell phone is also dead, after I reboot I find out I am out with a healthy profit. Thank God

This P&L is the Dax + CL, now I am focusing on ES for the rest of the day.

BF, Well done trading treasuries, commodities, currencies, and the indexes successfully

5aa70f5067089_daxCL.PNG.e514e6de394b79711128c49de9f95cf2.PNG

Edited by bathrobe
I cant disclose these reasons

Unable to sleep so I traded the DAX, I will be watching CL along with ES today, this is only the DAX so far.

"When I can't sleep at night I trade S&P futures at Lind Waldock."

That line is definitely in the top 10 funniest lines in a trading oriented commercial/advertisement I have ever seen/heard.

"When I can't sleep at night I trade Dax futures," on the other hand, sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Best Wishes,

Thales

As I type this I am shaking, I entered into a large CL position and my computer freezes, my cell phone is also dead, after I reboot I find out I am out with a healthy profit. Thank God

I have a migraine that is building and building, and so I am not trading anymore today until (unless) the meds kick in.

Here is the weekly PnL for the little forex account my daughter and I have been trading. I'll break out the trades, wins/losses/breakeven later in the Reading Charts thread. Also, lest anyone thinks this came from trading large on the NFP, I have a screen shot of our one trade today - short at 133.75, stopped out at 133.745 for + 1/2 tick.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70f506bd90_Week11-01-2009FXPnL1.jpg.1cfb64d6a2e5dda8b774cc61a76a3a40.jpg

5aa70f506e72f_Week11-01-2009NFPPnL1.jpg.5ee0dd7a7f1315577802b69ba12e6665.jpg

Is that the commercial with the guys at a gym? Very funny.

But what else are you going to do when you cannot sleep but risk large sums of highly leveraged money?......count sheep? :)

Chris :o

Thales, I have migraines too, this was the reason I could not sleep actually, but my meds kicked in. Hope you feel better.

For those of you who do not have your broker on speed dial, do this. Also, use a land line.

11-6-09: +$856.26

Good example of a day where most trades were taken. I missed a gimme on the ZS open, so perfection is still something I am working towards. Would have pushed over $1k/ct w/ that ZS trade.

Good way to end the week though, so I'm happy. And done by 1035am EST, which makes me even more happy.

11-6-2009.png.148d53b9e1d6bd80e247aee771a3a6b3.png

you lot did well! Not good here again. No blotter today, but Im up 6 pips - basically breakeven day. Very tough. Was down lots again at one point. not sure what's changed. Cant complain yet as its been a great few weeks but, as im sure you are all aware, it plays with your mind.

Have a good weekend.