Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2009

Concentration is gone, and I stopped trading after that.

During the last days I have implemented a little bit more within my software.

So my trades have been more experimental and because of this, I haven't posted them. Yesterday was bad with other charts (indicators).

So I decided to go on were I have stopped trading, and reduced myself from 4 down to 2 charts, with my currently favored indicators.

After this break, I have to admit, that I still don't use them properly,

or in other words, I still too often break my own rules, so I am not happy with today, but I can focus on this problem from now on.

I have just to do, what my charts are telling me. Period

attachment.php?attachmentid=10206&stc=1&d=1239910682

BTW, I have attached my two charts too.

I will not make a secret out of the indicators I am using,

both tools (algorithms) are here from TL.

I just try to use them in my own way.

I use them as my tools, but I don't use the original systems/setups, that were build around them.

But both systems are worth to be studied in detail.

(And I guess they work better than mine so far!)

Just that you know. :)

And last but not least, I have to tell all the people, that were part in the

development of these tools: THANK YOU!

NQ-16.04-Demo.png.d11c57620a2c0438cbb36267a24c554f.png

NQ-16.04-Big-Picture.thumb.png.e58bdfa55d219900a1b251e83ef2bc69.png

NQ-16.04-Detailed-Picture.thumb.png.b4621dff2fb69512ffe168a64505e330.png

Brownsfan I have a question for you. What is the basis of your decision making process on trading the bonds(literature, fundamentals, indicators etc...) I would really like to know because as of yet i m still just scalping and would like to know what to read to get better.

I am a 100% technical trader. I also moderate the candlestick corner. You can probably make an educated guess from there as to what I use.

From there I am looking for good risk/reward spots to enter a trade.

And further - I am looking to catch a move in the AM on bonds and then shut it down for the day. I know there's usually at least 1 nice move in bonds each day and I am looking to participate in that. From there, I just adjust my size as the accounts grow to make more money.

At one point I tried my best to trade all day, but only a small lot of contracts. All that did was rack up commissions and was also incredibly difficult for me. But I had to go thru that process to get here. Now, I try to pinpoint a good entry area, enter w/ as many contracts as I am comfortable with and then look to ride the move. Sounds simple, but took me quite awhile to get here and then accept that I'm looking for that 1 move and then shut the charts off. I'll be honest, it's weird at times to be done 'working' at 9 or 930am EST. It's an odd feeling when you've been taught your entire life that hard work + long hours = success in the business world; whereas now the equation for me is = pinpoint an ideal entry + ride the move = usually done trading no later than Noon (and many days by 10am).

But years and years of screentime has gotten me here. I first had to see that trading all day was not for me. I then had to see that instead of trying to trade many times w/ smaller contract sizes, I was better off loading up on 1 reliable setup. I also then noticed in bonds that there's usually 1 really good move that occurs before Noon EST, so if I could get in on that move & load up on the contracts, that's all I needed to make a good living.

If I only knew then what I know now, I could have saved myself thousands of dollars, many sleepless nights and many, many hours.

Edited by brownsfan019

Thanks again for the reply, I know what you mean by trading all day and paying commisions. I am certainly not at the point where I can pint point amazing setups, so for now I just scalp everything is sight. When I do catch a move, I keep it for 5-10 ticks max, mostly I look for squeezing ppl long or short and scalp the trade. Hopefully one day I'll be able to really notice a setup. One of the main reasons I'm a trader is that I want the extra time for myself to do other things (even though I love trading).

I'll check out the candlestick corner and see what it has to offer. BTW today I had my best day ever live, I don't know why but I'm done trading for the day. here's what it looks like.

5aa70ec5c1574_April172009.thumb.JPG.fce995b5e44f95d8c12c49009efda49d.JPG

HAL9000 - It kind of looks like an off shoot of walters work? Looks nice and simple to me and those are typically the best kind! Your results are consistently good so just keep it up.

I'm just curious (if it is an offshoot of walters) what timeframes your trading? Looks like a 300 tick chart? I don't want to hyper scalp like walter on a 50t or less. Also, are you using his MA settings?

OK, so here are my results for today.

In sum less than yesterday, but I gained more confidence,

and had no fear and avoided greed, but well sometimes there was ignorance.

But all in all a very good day, with the usual difficult start.

One more point to work on.

Daedalus, you are right, its Walters (et al.) work (black and green lines).

If I remember right, I use his settings, but maybe I have changed the price input a little bit, but that should not be much of importance. I will check it.

The second Indicator is Jerry Perls work. It adds a component, that is independent from the time or tick frame you are using.

I will write more during the weekend, I too had my difficulties with NQ 50 tick charts. I am too slow for that.

Currently I use a 1500 and 300 tick chart, before that a 1250 and 250 tick chart (and a 50 as well). OK, more during the weekend.

One last remark now; IMHO Walters work is of general value.

And thank you for giving me a heads up!

Well, if I can produce 50 $ a day on average, with no heavy draw downs in between, I intend to go live using real money in May. Otherwise, I have to do more homework.

So here are my results:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10222&stc=1&d=1239999453

NQ-17.04-Demo.png.c14e0cde1e069a0e5f5e04809441f05a.png

Thanks Hal! I'd be curious to know what MA's and the periods your using if you don't mind sharing. If so, no big deal!!!

Good work today (and this week!)

Cheers!

Hi Daedalus,

no problem, I like to share them. Walter and Jerry and others shared so many ideas,

and if they wouldn't have done that, I wouldn't even know anything about these indicators, systems and so on. So this is the spirit, that makes forums useful.

OK, I have rechecked my parameters for the ADXVMA indicator.

The black line uses 6 units as adx and vma unit.

The quick green line 2.

Assuming, that I have made no errors while implementing the indicator (I use JAVA),

these settings should deliver similar results with the implementations for Ninja and other platforms. (I don't use these, so I can't compare mine)

But I have changed something, and this might be important for especially the quick line.

Instead of using the Close of a bar for the final calculation of the ADXVMA value,

I used for a long time the (High + Low) / 2. Currently I use the VWAP of the bar.

I do that, because I calculate the values intra bar every 5 secs (not only on bar close) and I think, that it deletes some noise regarding the line movement, while the actual bar is forming.

What way is better? I don't know. I guess it depends on the trader and his style.

I have attached some charts (NQ 300 and 1500 with the ADXVMA's and also two more with JPerls VWAP and the ADXVMA's)

Well, on the VWAP charts, the blue line is the VWAP restarted at 9:30 EST. The cyan lines are the +- 1/2/3 SD lines. All charts start somewhere at 0:00 EST. The VWAP is also updated every 5 secs.

I guess, I should really start to blog soon.

Well, and yes, even with all these lines, keeping it simple, will be the key.

If you have further questions, just ask me.

:hijacked:

Hal

NQ1500tick-ADXVMA.thumb.png.3e6013a33807c47bef533e5d5d61c460.png

NQ300tick-ADXVMA.thumb.png.c4fb21a5c73e716fd70f461fa7d88f73.png

NQ1500tick-ADXVMA-VWAP.thumb.png.b5a83519006dd164019b15a685cb7878.png

NQ300tick-ADXVMA-VWAP.thumb.png.37080b7ca356369a70e2796d43295c8a.png

Sorry for the lapse gents. Had one of those "eureka" moments over the weekend and hopefully I cracked it. I really hope I did at least. Who knew a simple ADX filter could revolutionize my results? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=10251&stc=1&d=1240255589

1.png.976255c25cea04d3968b6a3a45d096ef.png

Today I was not concentrated.

Didn't follow my plan.

Ignored my charts.

And can be lucky, that I haven't lost more.

But tomorrow is a new day. A clean day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10253&stc=1&d=1240259144

NQ-20.04-Demo.png.a8b5c5b82a1b977e45d3c27d794fe252.png

Hopefully I can get posting again on Tue. Been under the weather as this Ohio weather is being very tricky - 60+ degrees one day and then talking about snow the next... Took my nephew out for a walk when it was colder and a light drizzle and the next day woke up feeling like sh*t.

Great job on the posting guys!

good day today, followed my plan.

Welcome to the the thread rem!

Please post screenshots so we don't have to open a word doc to view the blotter.

You can use a software like SnagIt (what I highly recommend) or can do it w/ print screen and paint that is already in Windows. From there, just upload the pic as you did w/ your word doc - just save a a jpeg, png, etc.

4-21-09

attachment.php?attachmentid=10262&stc=1&d=1240327550

Decent day, 2 trades and 2 winners.

What is frustrating though was the QM trade - I had my profit set at +$300 and hit the flatten button a very small retracement in hindsight.

ZB had a nice trade in the morning that hit the profit target fairly easily.

4-21-2009.png.111fd680667e3dcadfb9048b67a17294.png

feeling more confident than ever with my trading. had one loss today but my other par trades went greater than 50/per in the nq and 75/per in the ES, but failed to give exit signals so I just didn't get profits out of the swings and got caught with one loss in the NQ.

No biggie. I'm still hitting an 87% win rate on the week so far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10265&stc=1&d=1240341648

2.png.d7754cf3efdfdebe8b0a0b907ff135c5.png

Today I was focused,

but I made one bad trade after another.

I traded on, its just a sim account.

I wanted to see my mistakes, I make more than one.

So its time for some homework.

Tomorrow I trade on.

Hopefully I figure out what goes wrong on these days,

its time to rewrite my plan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10267&stc=1&d=1240344898

NQ-21.04-Demo.thumb.png.51af86293c057ba59bca5c8406fecffd.png