Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2009

Sounds good BF. I am the same way...I trade the same setups in any highly liquid market. For a while now I have been trading both ES and NQ evenly because one usually sets up much nicer or at a different time than the other. Just recently I have been trading 6B intraday after hanging out with a friend who trades currency futures for a living. Some may argue that it's over trading, but I think it's quite the opposite. If your strategy is mechanical in nature and based around the natural ebb and flow of price action, trading multiple instruments allows you to take advantage of that intraday leverage without having to drop down into smaller time frames to accomplish the same result. You also have less days where you are stuck with little or nothing to trade. So in turn, if one is able to do it, it should decrease any over trading and increase the PnL. :2c:

Well said sir.

I remember you mentioning it in the chat room one day that you'd like to take a few of your prime setups, but on multiple markets... that's what I'm going to focus on more here.

It's amazing how markets look if you look at a handful of them at a bigger view vs. watching every little tick of 1 market. If 1 particular market is stuck or flat like you said, oh well, just move on. But if you are only honing in on that 1 market, you have no other option.

Well, that's the idea at least.

;)

I feel like I got gang-raped by a pack of gorillas.

Nothing went right today... trades would be up +2-3 points, not give me a par signal, not give me an exit signal, and WHAM max loss.

I took a shitty first trade (for -150.00) and I should'nt have... but the rest just were consistently crappy. Trades that did work would get me to par and backfill against me to take me out before I could take profit.

It was just s**t like that all day. I called it quits early after reaching my pain tolerance for the day. I didn't trade badly, I held for what I needed to see, executed, was patient... just NOTHING WORKED. :angry:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9937&stc=1&d=1238094387

5.png.5b33e2238c50823a810335b54ee755e3.png

3-26-09

attachment.php?attachmentid=9938&stc=1&d=1238095278

Good start to taking the multi-market, refined entry approach. Missed a few afternoon trades when my focus waned, so going to have to work on that.

Note - After a discussion w/ a trading friend I've decided to not include timestamps on the screenshots going forward. If you want to verify the prices, get your charts up and you'll see that price traded there at some point today. No point of providing an ambitious person the chance to reverse engineer my uber fantastic trading system. ;)

3-26-2009.png.599ecfa588c6810095caed884e92710b.png

Tough day. Was down pretty good until later this afternoon. Felt like the market was hunting my stops.

I took a lot of trades so I am just doing the screen capture of my blotter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9940&stc=1&d=1238097351

5aa70ebe1abe3_PL3-26-2009(764x1049).thumb.jpg.aded1c9e9b0506023879b31ead693a9d.jpg

3-26-09

Good start to taking the multi-market, refined entry approach. Missed a few afternoon trades when my focus waned, so going to have to work on that.

Note - After a discussion w/ a trading friend I've decided to not include timestamps on the screenshots going forward. If you want to verify the prices, get your charts up and you'll see that price traded there at some point today. No point of providing an ambitious person the chance to reverse engineer my uber fantastic trading system. ;)

Outstanding start on your new approach. Great stuff!

Thanks XD. It was so much easier too - calmer, more relaxed.

Granted it was only one day, but it just felt better. Felt better to focus on prime setups wherever they might occur vs. feeling like I had to push it on 1 market.

Those currencies sure are fun to trade. If you like to see swift profit or loss, good place to be there (in the AM hours). I was impressed w/ how quickly the 6J trade became profitable and by how much.

3-26-09

Hi Brown,

I am still here. :ciao:

Well, I have tested some things during the last 2 weeks,

and I hope that I will back next week with my simulation trades.

This last two weeks; I would have lost a lost a lot of bucks ("playing"! with 10 or 20 NQ lots) but it was necessary to find my focus again.

(Btw.: Not clever at all, if you/I couldn't trade 10 or 20 in real!!! :helloooo:)

Anyway, regarding to your timestamps issue, I will include them, because

I have no clue, how someone can reverse a discretionary trader by using his/her time stamps. :confused: lol

Back to me (ego trip!!!); I see my weakness, and I have to work on it. Lets see.

Time moves on.

Time will come.

P.S.: Even for my blog. I have changed my mind during the last year.

It is all a process and it needs time.

The way might be difficult, the solution might look easy.

Yade, yade, ... (or so) :crap:

Edited by HAL9000
Typings (or so)

3-26-09

I would like to add the 30 year to the ES, because I go long stretches with no ES trades. I may be too conservative but due to my current account size I have to be.

Brownsfan, congrats on successfully trading more than one market.

Chris

I would like to add the 30 year to the ES, because I go long stretches with no ES trades. I may be too conservative but due to my current account size I have to be.

Brownsfan, congrats on successfully trading more than one market.

Chris

Chris - it can be a balancing act if working a smaller account and wanting to trade, we've all been there.

One idea/suggestion - start watching the ZB charts and dom. Just see what it's like, esp. when it's moving b/c it can move much quicker than the ES at times. Prepare now w/ nothing on the line so you know what you are getting yourself into.

FYI - the 5 yr note is less per tick, which could be an option if the tick size is intimidating on the 30 yr.

I’ll play.

I recently started simulated trading with Watts method. I try to get a couple hours of trading in during the morning hours (5:00am – 7:00am central). Then it’s time to get ready for work.

I scalp the EC and today things were going well. I followed my setup for all my trades except the very last trade which was a loss. I got emotional and did not enter properly. Done for the day!

attachment.php?attachmentid=9950&stc=1&d=1238157289

ES_day_1.jpg.c8c05a6b8ee33ee7fa0a0077d2035613.jpg

Here are the results for this strategy on ES today. I am testing another strategy that was up very nicely on ES and Bonds yesterday and today. Further testing will be needed.

BF I am very upset with your decision to thwart my efforts to reverse engineer your Uber fantastic method. Now your gonna just have to tell me;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=9955&stc=1&d=1238179192

5aa70ebe70c55_pL3-27-2009(1260x265).thumb.jpg.3293cef0043ac6de5725e5aec7270fa6.jpg

Today somehow was not a nice day to trade.

Regarding my trades, I followed my plan at the beginning.

Then I started some impulse trades (losers).

Then I found my focus back.

So all in all, its was a good starting point for next week.

Using one contract, I should just forget about a runner,

these trades consistently kill my day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9960&stc=1&d=1238197244

NQ-27.03-Demo.png.df18aeca3afeb7a59b9dada177f2dea0.png

3/30 Did not get any setups I felt comfortably with until very end of day.

Great job at maintaining your discipline. It can be tough staring at the market all day with no activity.

dayum nice job BF!

No action in the ES today... Fixed my issues I had on Thursday and i'm moving forward.

NQ gave some decent action, and I didn't capture all of the moves but I think I took appropriate exits considering what price action was doing when I got out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9990&stc=1&d=1238456369

Growth is growth and i'll take it. Traded every signal that came along today and I traded them 110% correctly from beginning to end. Pleased with the outcome.

1.png.effdb521aeeef33ec72fc0db729e2f66.png

Little update: one nice thing about zero'ing in on your prime signals and knowing they don't show that much per market is the ability to take the trade on multiple markets as I mentioned previously. Today I pulled a chart of wheat and gold, so I'm going to watch those and might tip my toes in to see. Also thinking about using the CL chart to trade the QM (oil) since the volume on the QM is pretty low but much lower margins, I can use the higher volume chart of the CL to get a trade on the QM. We'll see - that part is a work in progress - but will be watching wheat and gold as well in case you happen to see some odd ticker symbols.

I'm very pleased with where this is going and I see now why some traders trade this way - find your prime setup(s) and then find the markets they appear on and trade there VS. staring at 1 market every day. I don't know why it's taken this long for the light bulb to go off, but better late than never.

:idea:

My only real restriction is figuring out the best way to monitor all possible markets. Currently I'm only focusing on futures as that's what I know, but this can easily be scalable into stocks if I wanted to go there. At that point I would require programming that can be done into TradeStation for stocks that meet my criteria but that idea is in the back of my head. Consideration has been given to starting a fund or something similar using only my prime setup here, but over many, many markets. I haven't directly looked at FX, although I am watching and trading 3 currency futures.

And all the while working this on the same account which initially started at $10k. With that said, I don't recommend anyone new to trading take $10k and pull up 10+ futures charts and see where something might stick. I've gotten to this point after years and years of screen time and hard work to see that what might work better for me is to focus on 1 great setup over multiple markets.