Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Going to be switching media servers. I have this scheduled for today.... hopefully the chat will finally be stable. My apologies for the inconvenience but the system is extremely complicated to implement with the forum system and we are doing everything we can to complete this. Thank you.

Going to be switching media servers. I have this scheduled for today.... hopefully the chat will finally be stable. My apologies for the inconvenience but the system is extremely complicated to implement with the forum system and we are doing everything we can to complete this. Thank you.

Thanks for your hard work, we all appreciate it :)

Right now there seems to be some strange bug. Firefox crashed on me and now when I attempt to enter the chat room I am presented with a window to type in my login details and select the room I wish to enter. However none of the rooms are the TL one.

Call me nostalgic, and I do appreciate the time and effort put into this, but I'm beginning to miss the old chatroom... I've visited a couple of times but either people aren't saying much or they are getting thrown out/disconnected... and then we're moving over to the Java thingy (which actually works quite good for what it is). Call me nostalgic but before we had days with a high number of chatters (+30 at times), and I just feel like it's slowly falling apart with people losing interest.

Just crashed again @ 3:30pm Central Time. It was doing pretty good after it crashed and was reset shortly after the US Market Open. Yes, the other room was great because it never actually "crashed", but for many people it would lag or disconnect the individual and not allow them to even go to the website for a minute or two. This is why I agree it is probably the server and not the software. Of course this software has more connections due to the fact that that there are more things going on (software functions and chatters) so the server is probably super angry :).

As for the temp room via the java irc client, if we end up having to use that more we might want to head over to another irc server (currently freenode) like othernet so we can use colors to make it easier to see.

Our tech team has found the problem:

We have almost figured out the root cause of the failures, here is the latest information we have:

1. The following error was registered by Red5 itself and shows memory heap allocated for java is running out of the space what results in complete block of this process.

2009-01-30 21:30:31,362 [NioBlockingSelector.BlockPoller-2] ERROR o.a.t.util.net.NioBlockingSelector - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

2. We have been closely observing memory consumption on your server and ongoing increase was confirmed.

3. Having revised all updates the most apparent reason of this issue is a collision between red5 and whiteboard plugins code.

It appears that the issue has been the implementation of the white board. Anyhow I will revert back to the old chat room later today until I have this thing fixed completely.

Dear all,

Due to licensing issues, I can no longer revive the old chat room. What we did was end up translating the old chat room to implement into our new Japanese site of TL.com. (yes we are offering a Japanese version of TL as well since most Japanese users can not read or understand english) I had already switched the licensing over to the Japanese domain and as a result can no longer be installed on TL.com.

For now, we have moved our media server to be hosted by the developers of the chat room system. The chat room is now running on a completely separate environment (fms server) and has solved the issue with instability.

We will move this back to our server once we find out the problems. Worst case scenario, we will be forced to remove the whiteboard as it causes alot of issues leading to crashes and freezes.

If we can not resolve this issue by this week, I will be removing the chat room to resort to other systems. Thank you for the patience. We are doing our best to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

We will move this back to our server once we find out the problems. Worst case scenario, we will be forced to remove the whiteboard as it causes alot of issues leading to crashes and freezes.

I'm not real clear on the purpose of the whiteboard. So far, all we've seen is doodles and drawings of animals. What exactly is it for in terms of a trading application?

Dont know Db... i dont see much use to it either but was requested and added. Ive told the development team I could live without it so will wait to hear back on what they come up with.

I think the purpose some members saw for it was posting up a chart on the whiteboard so members could each annotate what they saw on the chart. I personally think it would take too much time away from the charts but other traders have a fair amount of time between trades where they don't need to watch the market so it could keep them occupied.

I think the purpose some members saw for it was posting up a chart on the whiteboard so members could each annotate what they saw on the chart.

Edit: never mind:)...

Edited by DbPhoenix

I actually had a chance to play around with the whiteboard earlier and I guess it could come handy for traders. Especially in a tutorial way or to explain charts. It will also be useful for any scheduled tutorial sessions we may decide to introduce in the near future. :)

If the whiteboard needs to be removed to make the room stable then by all means remove it. I have used it a couple of times in the evenings one on one with someone and it has been useful. However, there are other instant messaging programs that have whiteboard ability so I could always use those instead. I think one of the big problems is that very few people have used such features before and instead of looking at the advantages and trying something new, they naturally resist change. For example, I see others posting charts and having to answer multiple questions about what was posted. At which point one has to go back and give specific times and levels and hope nothing is lost in translation. With a whiteboard one can simple draw an arrow and type "here". Yes, many of the chat room features haven't been taken advantage of yet because it's brand new and has barely been up. When I saw the new features that James was adding my initial reaction wasn't "wow, a lot of features that no one will use"...it was "wow, a room that actually has the features to breed education and sharing of ideas quickly and efficiently". However, only time will tell if members step up and take advantage of these tools. :2c:

If the whiteboard needs to be removed to make the room stable then by all means remove it. I have used it a couple of times in the evenings one on one with someone and it has been useful. However, there are other instant messaging programs that have whiteboard ability so I could always use those instead. I think one of the big problems is that very few people have used such features before and instead of looking at the advantages and trying something new, they naturally resist change. For example, I see others posting charts and having to answer multiple questions about what was posted. At which point one has to go back and give specific times and levels and hope nothing is lost in translation. With a whiteboard one can simple draw an arrow and type "here". Yes, many of the chat room features haven't been taken advantage of yet because it's brand new and has barely been up. When I saw the new features that James was adding my initial reaction wasn't "wow, a lot of features that no one will use"...it was "wow, a room that actually has the features to breed education and sharing of ideas quickly and efficiently". However, only time will tell if members step up and take advantage of these tools. :2c:

The issue has nothing to do with "resisting change". It has to do with making the room useable. The whiteboard "room" is, after all, entirely separate. One can use it or not. Like the game room. What I'm looking forward to is a room that doesn't repeatedly crash.

The issue has nothing to do with "resisting change". It has to do with making the room useable. The whiteboard "room" is, after all, entirely separate. One can use it or not. Like the game room. What I'm looking forward to is a room that doesn't repeatedly crash.
Exactly, and as I specifically said before...

"If the whiteboard needs to be removed to make the room stable then by all means remove it."

My comments after that were based on a "stable" chat room. It's obvious that stability should be first priority.

However, even if the whiteboard did work perfectly you don't seem like you would take advantage of it.

I'm not real clear on the purpose of the whiteboard. So far, all we've seen is doodles and drawings of animals. What exactly is it for in terms of a trading application?

However, even if the whiteboard did work perfectly you don't seem like you would take advantage of it.

Probably not. But I have no moral objection to it as long as it doesn't affect the stability of the chat room. Ditto with the game room.

Right after I left and tried to rejoin I am experiencing issues. Anyone else have this problem as well? Or is it just my internet connection which has been having issues connecting with my TL server all day.