Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Longer term chart is confusing me. There are so many lines that I am not sure what is important. 15 min is clearer. I have the S/R but in RT will have to rely on judgement to see which one is important.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31910&stc=1&d=1349789019

attachment.php?attachmentid=31911&stc=1&d=1349789019

Gringo

5aa71156ecdc8_NQ100(5Hours)20121009091937.png.e169abb3e7a6a43c4f0515c5ebedda66.png

5aa71156f11ae_NQ100(15Minutes)20121009091954.png.c449836548524e4856c6775ff3a8b948.png

Hinge forming just below 67?

Price is showing some strength as it's not going downwards but the earlier drop was strong. That's what's having me a bit worried about demand being solid.

I am beginning to think highly of this Wyckoff guy. How did he figure this all out without much precedence? Must be a really observant person.

Price still very weak. Unless upward strength shows up.

Gringo

When you drop thru a range, $ has much greater difficulty regaining its losses, much less advancing. All those people who bought in that range and didn't sell will now grab the op to do so.

After $ dropped out of that hinge you drew, it created a TR early this morning. It rose out of that TR, then found R at the midpoint of that hinge. It then dropped thru the TR and found R at its midpoint on the way back, printing a double top at 70 in the process. That was a legit entry.

It's not about lines. It's about buyers and sellers. The lines just point the way.

Db

Stop outs because of wider price movement are around 3 points in some cases. Is that reasonable? I am not sure how to reduce it without compromising logical points of exit. Or am I missing something? Usually I exit before the stops are hit but they are there as at times price has moved quite quickly against my position.

Doutreval of Dijon: Think of this. A sword is like a bird. If you clutch it too tightly, you choke it - too lightly and it flies away.

Scaramouche

I think a stop is something similar as well.

Gringo

Edited by Gringo

Stop outs because of wider price movement are around 3 points in some cases. Is that reasonable? I am not sure how to reduce it without compromising logical points of exit. Or am I missing something?

Gringo

for me it is, even 5 points in some cases..

but the real answer is it depends on your MM plan

Tomer.

Stop outs because of wider price movement are around 3 points in some cases. Is that reasonable? I am not sure how to reduce it without compromising logical points of exit. Or am I missing something?

Gringo

There should be no stopouts, only exits. If you're relying on stops, you're relinquishing responsibility for the management of the trade.

Your exit should have been around 57, when the downmove was over. What's the need of a stop?

Db

Trend line

down from the open

edit: even further back....

Tomer.

And how is it helping you in RT? The R is being provided by TRs, not TLs, particularly since the latter are being drawn in hindsight.

Db

There should be no stopouts, only exits. If you're relying on stops, you're relinquishing responsibility for the management of the trade.

Your exit should have been around 57, when the downmove was over. What's the need of a stop?

Db

Db,

Exiting with gain isn't an issue. It's when a new position is initiated and there isn't a DL/SL to guide. More or less I use the swing low to place a stop just in case price makes a run for one side or the other. These stops though at times are 2-3 points wide.

Gringo

I have 30, 27 and 22 as the next possible levels. The pace has increased for price, chance for some kind of capitulation? I don't have volume anymore so will have to see price behaviour only.

Gringo

Db,

Exiting with gain isn't an issue. It's when a new position is initiated and there isn't a DL/SL to guide. More or less I use the swing low to place a stop just in case price makes a run for one side or the other. These stops though at times are 2-3 points wide.

Gringo

Even so, I wouldn't use them exc as catastrophe stops. Once one has placed a stop, he tends to relax and wait for the stop to be hit. This is the wrong course (or he moves the stop to BE, which is even worse). Focus on the price action, even if you have to use a smaller interval. If it doesn't do what you expect it to do, exit the trade. You may miss a profit, but you won't incur a loss.

Db

I have 30, 27 and 22 as the next possible levels. The pace has increased for price, chance for some kind of capitulation? I don't have volume anymore so will have to see price behaviour only.

Gringo

I suggest 30 and 27 are too trivial for a move this strong. But nothing's lost by watching them. When price stops, there's a reason.

Db

Even so, I wouldn't use them exc as catastrophe stops. Once one has placed a stop, he tends to relax and wait for the stop to be hit. This is the wrong course (or he moves the stop to BE, which is even worse). Focus on the price action, even if you have to use a smaller interval. If it doesn't do what you expect it to do, exit the trade. You may miss a profit, but you won't incur a loss.

Db

Oh! I see what you mean. More to think about.

Thanks.

Gringo