Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

analyst75

Does it make sense to always buy the dips?  

Does it make sense to always buy the dips?

“Buy the dip.”

You hear this all the time in crypto investing. It refers, of course, to buying more bitcoin (or digital assets) when they go down in price: when the price “dips.”

Some people brag about “buying the dip," showing they know better than the crowd. Others “buy the dip” as an investment strategy: they’re getting a bargain.

The problem is, buying the dip is a fallacy.

You can’t buy the dip, because you can't see the total dip until much later.

First, I’ll explain this in a way that will make it simple and obvious to you; then I’ll show you a better way of investing.

You Only Know the Dip in Hindsight

When people talk about “buying the dip,” what they’re really saying is, “I bought when the price was going down.”

Here’s a look at the price of bitcoin from earlier this year. When it dropped to $39,000, El Salvador President Nayib Bukele proudly tweeted that his government had just purchased an additional chunk of bitcoin: that it “bought the dip.”

But the next day, the price of bitcoin dipped further, to $34,500:

Could you “buy the dip” then? No, because the next day, it dipped further still, to $33,500:

Why “buying the dip” is probably not the best economic policy.

We could take any time period, for any cryptocurrency, and show this same principle: you can only see the dip in hindsight, after the price has gone back up.

This assumes, of course, that the price will go back up. There are plenty of investors who “bought the dip” on their favorite token, only to find out it wasn’t a dip, but a ride off a cliff.” - John Hargrave

Profits from free accurate cryptos signals: https://www.predictmag.com/ 

re: 

"Does it make sense to always buy the dips?

“Buy the dip.”

You hear this all the time in crypto investing trading speculation gambling. [zdo taking some liberties] It refers, of course, to buying more bitcoin (or digital assets) when they go down in price: when the price “dips.”

Some people brag about “buying the dip," showing they know better than the crowd. Others “buy the dip” as an investment strategy: they’re getting a bargain.

The problem is, buying the dip is a fallacy.

You can’t buy the dip, because you can't see the total dip until much later.

First, I’ll explain this in a way that will make it simple and obvious to you; then I’ll show you a better way of investing.

You Only Know the Dip in Hindsight

When people talk about “buying the dip,” what they’re really saying is, “I bought when the price was going down.”

"

... example of a dip ... 

buythedips.jpg

also ... and barely on topic...

Winners (always*) overpay.

Buying the dips is a subscription to the belief that winners win by underpaying - when in actuality winners (inevitably/always*) win by overpaying... it’s amazing the percentage of traders who think winners win by underpaying ...

“Winners (always*) overpay.” ...  One way to implement this ‘belief’ is to only reenter when prices have emphatically resumed the 'trend' .  

(Fwiw, While “Winners (always*) overpay.” holds true in most endeavors (relationships, business, sports, etc...) - “Winners (always*) overpay.”  is especially true for auctions... continuous auctions included.)