Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

AbeSmith

First Profitable Month

Hello. Some of you might remember me from when I first started asking beginner questions here at TL. I'm still around, and trading. This month (8th month of trading) will be my first profitable month. Mostly paper trading though, so it is technically not profitable. I have attached a spreadsheet of my performace. The P/L is final P/L, after commission. The number of contracts is literally the number of contracts traded. So 1 contract round trip trade is recorded as 2 contracts, 1 buy, 1 sell. I trade mostly 1 YM contract at a time. But on 6/12, when I had a semi-blow out day, I traded 2 contracts on some trades. 1 contract trading is difficult because you can't scale out. But the good thing is that it forces me to concentrate on accuracy. On 6/23 I got some money into my account and foolishly tried to get my 10 roundtrips to not be charged the TS fees.

I'm feeling good about trading. Optimistic. Last month I told my parents that I can feel I'm getting close, and that I'm learning. When I have a losing trade I am able to identify what I did wrong. Things are making sense.

Very good job. Keep it up and don't get ahead of yourself.

When I have a losing trade I am able to identify what I did wrong.
Remember, a losing trade does not have to mean something went wrong. If you followed your rules and lost, then it was still a good trade. It's just a numbers game. :)

Things are making sense.
Excellent!!

Remember, a losing trade does not have to mean something went wrong.
This. Something may have gone wrong, but very profitable traders who follow their rules exactly lose trades. Try to identify if you did mess up, but if not, be glad you followed your rules.

This. Something may have gone wrong, but very profitable traders who follow their rules exactly lose trades. Try to identify if you did mess up, but if not, be glad you followed your rules.

Agree 1,000%.

If you don't have good trades that are losing trades, you're probably not a trader.

You will also have plenty of profitable trades, they aren't good trades. They are called "luck".

All the best

Hi Abe,

Cangrats on your progress mate. As you know there are a lot of experienced guys on this forum that are only too happy to help out when needed. I have experienced their help myself. So I know where you are coming from.

Keep up the honest work

Best

John

Agree 1,000%.

If you don't have good trades that are losing trades, you're probably not a trader.

You will also have plenty of profitable trades, they aren't good trades. They are called "luck".

All the best

That is an awesome quote! :cool: