Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Trading Reversals

Here are a few things to think about when trading reversals.

* Reversal signals may occur via technical reasons, price action of other key markets, economic news, world breaking news, political news or combo of any other events that has impact on market direction.

* It's not uncommon to see a reversal price action also be a trend continuation price action at the same time depending upon how much of the price action you are viewing on your charts.

Simply, to truly understand reversal signals, there's often a lot more to it than just technical reasons and they're very dynamic. It's that understanding that will allow you to be better prepared to trade because you'll know when they have a high probability chance of occurring regardless if you trade trend reversal or trend continuation signals.

Simply, to truly understand reversal signals, there's often a lot more to it than just technical reasons and they're very dynamic.

True - and because of the fractal nature of markets, it depends on your timeframe.

Simply, to truly understand reversal signals, there's often a lot more to it than just technical reasons and they're very dynamic. It's that understanding that will allow you to be better prepared to trade because you'll know when they have a high probability chance of occurring regardless if you trade trend reversal or trend continuation signals.

Its easily seen from a technical point of view IMO. The reasoning behind the reversal (major ones) may well be fundamental but TA will show it easily enough. Researching when these happen and why from a multitude of TF's will show how you can increase the probabilities.

True - and because of the fractal nature of markets, it depends on your timeframe.

The key IMO is to merge your views. Take a top down approach of S/R from 240m and 60m then zoom in to a 60m or 30m chart to pinpoint the trendlines to form the reversal point.

I'm curious as to how others see reversals. I copied this post from the private forum to here, so others can contribute as well.

Question: at what point do we have a reversal?

Imo there is no right or wrong, as I think it all depends on what you personally see as a reversal.

After you answered that, the second question is where would you go long. I've marked some potential long entries. I removed date, time and price levels because it doesn't matter what instrument or what timeframe this chart is.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7862&stc=1&d=1221042979

reversal.thumb.gif.4e809e729994b035ca9a55c65107d104.gif

I never really have certainty of a reversal until well after I've been trading it. You balance risk in terms of range to a structural stop with risk in terms of probability that the market hasn't reversed and then you place your bets.

At A I have a good possibility of reversal (poke to clear stops and increase liquidity) so I'd go long but take a good portion off at B. Also a trendline fan suggests a good possibility for reversal there.

At C I'd be feeling good about the probability of reversal and going long again. Back to a full size position.

Its not until half way up the long bar after the long bar after C that I feel confident about the reversal because I've now clearly moved beyond two clusters. That's not a point I'd want to go long because I have no structure to support my risk model until the next pullback.