Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mister ed

Speeding Up Firefox

There is plenty you can do to speed up Firefox. I found this tutorial on a Linux site, but the tweaks are relevant to the browser not to the OS so go ahead and use them in Windows as well.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html

The tutorial is written, not in video format but it is much more detailed with many more methods of optimising Firefox for speed and efficiency. I have implemented all of them and the difference is incredible.

Once you are familiar with the procedures for changing these settings to optimise Firefox, go to this site for even more detailed modifications. The guy here shows how to optimise Firefox depending on your connection speed and computer speed.

The site is at

http://codebetter.com/blogs/darrell.norton/archive/2005/01/28/48720.aspx

He provides specific settings depending on whether you have:

A Fast Computer & Fast Connection;

a Fast Computer & Slower Connection;

a Fast Computer & Slow Connection;

or a Slow Computer & Fast Connection.

There is also a plugin called Fasterfox that I came across when looking at these links. Never tried it but thought I might :D

Be aware that by default it pre-fetches links on a web page. This is how some old accelerators worked. This can be concidered 'bad behaviour' for numerous reasons (for example its likely to increase James' bandwidth costs if several people start using it). So if you do try it out turn this option off and be bandwidth friendly :D

Cheers.

I switched to Google Chrome, it has come a long ways in a short time. Much faster than FF or IE without any tweaking required. Version 4 now supports extensions and appears to be the exact same support as Firefox.

I've been running Firefox 3.7 since a2 first came out.

I also run the latest alpha of Google Chrome.

Chrome is slightly faster than FF 3.7 but its not a big difference like it was when C first came out. Each FF makes the difference smaller.

Chrome and my logitech mouse are not in love with each other -- google chrome's mouse handling is interesting

Although V4 has extensions it doesn't have the rich variety that FF has - although I imagine that won't be true in 2011.

Chrome's look and feel is different and if you like one you may well not like the other. Chrome is still aiming to be the "dummies browser." Google has deliberately kept it light on features and its still hard to customize. If you are a power user that might irritate you a bit.

So FF3.7 for me. I keep upgrading the Chrome Alphas though and there is still a speed advantage. But its not much and it certainly isn't enough to make you go "wow ... I'm going to go with Chrome for a while and see if I like it" any more.

I still have FF 3.5 so maybe an upgrade may make a difference. I had some issues with FF not playing nice with another app which is what made me go check out chrome again.

So far I like the Chrome interface, I don't think there is enough difference with FF to make me prefer one over the other.

I guess I am one of those dummies as I keep my interface as basic as possible. I only care that it plays nice with the sites I visit and apps I run. So far so good.

One good thing is that FF has improved a lot more lately, there for a whole (ver2) it got very stagnant...

FF has add ons that I have become attached to that make it hard to use other browsers. The smartbookmarks tabs and xmarks are convenient. Using FF 3.6b4 and it is fine so far. I used fasterfox in past and worked great and was not aware it is available in newer versions.

I do like chrome although I have gone back very recently to Opera to give it another try. O has some great features that I enjoy. Opera tubo works nicely and pages load quick. I will spend some time with O and see what I think but it is hard to give up FF.

I've been running Firefox 3.7 since a2 first came out.

I also run the latest alpha of Google Chrome.

Chrome is slightly faster than FF 3.7 but its not a big difference like it was when C first came out. Each FF makes the difference smaller.

Sounds like I need to re-evaluate the new FF beta, I must say chrome has pretty much won me over for day to day browsing. It feels really snappy, there are several things that contribute to that experience.

One think Kiwi, I see 3.6b5 on the beta download page (they are calling it a preview now) does this update to 3.7 or is there a separate 'real' beta?

Incidentally that is why competition is good, I don't think Mozilla would have concentrated so hard on performance if chrome had not arrived on the scene.

Edit Installed 3.6b5 and it feels much more responsive.....I guess that's thanks to the new geko rendering engine.

Ahh figured it may be something like that. I'll stay with 3.6b for now that is noticeably faster than the release version (due to geko I guess) Xmarks works with chrome (dev channel version) so its easy to go back and forth.

I really do like chrome (i think I am a minimalist at heart) and it has some neat architectural features (each page is essentially 'sandboxed' running as a separate thread to others for example). My one big gripe is such a basic thing......you cant 'open' a file directly in chrome, download is your only option.

It will be interesting to see where it goes.

LOL Blowfish.

Put on your glasses. Then move the pictures around your screen.

I checked and was sure firefox was better. Then I put firefox at the top and google in the middle. And google was better.

It seems I should buy better screens - perhaps we can get a group rate?

Have a good weekend,

Kiwi

PS. Try installing 3.7a ... it will install in minefield and its easy to use one or the other. I'd be interested to know if you thought it was faster than 3.6

5aa70f9cd4890_ffgc.thumb.png.cb0085d61d07d31fa618820a21e642ee.png

As I say my eyes aren't great, but using firefox some of the buttons I was clicking just didn't seem quite so 'crisp'. Could be all sorts of things (including some sort of weird perceptional bias). It seemed noticeable (to me) even if barely.

Wierd thing but even to my pretty poor eyes chrome renders crisper. Here are images from each forgive the bmp's but didn't want to introduce compression artefacts (they are quite small images).

wow that's a big difference.

I really hadn't any difference in image quality until I did the experiment from Kiwi and open the same images up next to each other and I Chrome does look a little better.

Anyways, so far so good for me Chrome is working out well.

I also hope they make changes to allow you to open files without having to download them first. I would think this is not a big deal as the browser is just passing the process over to the OS and to another application.

LOL Blowfish.

Put on your glasses. Then move the pictures around your screen.

I checked and was sure firefox was better. Then I put firefox at the top and google in the middle. And google was better.

It seems I should buy better screens - perhaps we can get a group rate?

Have a good weekend,

Kiwi

PS. Try installing 3.7a ... it will install in minefield and its easy to use one or the other. I'd be interested to know if you thought it was faster than 3.6

I ditched my CRT years ago.

;-)>