Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mister ed

Speeding Up Firefox

PS. Try installing 3.7a ... it will install in minefield and its easy to use one or the other. I'd be interested to know if you thought it was faster than 3.6

I plan on a clean new install of win 7 on my mac book pro. I have accumulated a remarkable amount of 'cruft'. I have been putting it off for a couple of days now. I am going to try and be a bit more selective on what I install (always starts out like that) but FF & chrome would not seem excessive.

If you guys are serious about using Chrome rather than Firefox you should look at Iron.

Based on the OS software with the hooks that Google has inserted removed.

SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future

Problem 

Chrome 

Iron 

Client-ID 

Chrome creates a unique ID through which a user can be theoretically identified.

does not exist in Iron 

Timestamp 

Chrome remembers up to the second exactly when the software was installed. 

does not exist in Iron 

Suggest 

Depending on the configuration, each time you put something in the address line,this information is sent to Google to provide suggestions. 

does not exist in Iron 

Alternate Error Pages 

Depending on the configuration, if you have typed a false address in the adress bar, this is sent to Google and you get an error message from Google's servers. 

does not exist in Iron 

Error Reporting 

Depending on the configuration, details about crashes or failures are sent Google's servers. 

does not exist in Iron 

RLZ-Tracking 

This Chrome-function transmits information in encoded form to Google, for example, when and where Chrome has been downloaded.

does not exist in Iron 

Google Updater 

Chrome installs a updater, which loads at every Windows in background.

does not exist in Iron 

URL-Tracker 

Calls depending on the configuration five seconds after launch the Google homepage opens in background

does not exist in Iron 

Thanks for the link Kiwi. To be honest most of those things don't bother me. The client-id has potential for abuse. The only way that they can link my online persona with my physical persona is if they go through my email. I kinda trust them, naive maybe. Of course if other corporations or even governments could access that info easily I'd be more concerned.

Thanks for the link Kiwi. To be honest most of those things don't bother me. The client-id has potential for abuse. The only way that they can link my online persona with my physical persona is if they go through my email. I kinda trust them, naive maybe. Of course if other corporations or even governments could access that info easily I'd be more concerned.

(Don't look at the Chinese Government then :))

I--have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China. We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

Full story here Official Google Blog: A new approach to China

To my surprise I am now an Iron user (the sanitized Chrome)

It still doesn't have "remove it permanently" but with a couple of the better add ons the extra speed outweighs that disadvantage and the lack of spacers in the favourites menu. If you go the Iron or Chrome way I'd recommend:

- AdBlock

- Chromey Calculator

- Universal Search & Accelerators

Have a nice weekend all. :)

Edit: I was thinking about the lack of RIP (which lets you remove sections of pages to get the look you like without clutter) and I had another look at adblock. It has a nice feature Ctrl-Shft-K which lets you RIP your pages to some extent ... so for some websites, now the clutter has gone from Chrome too. If you remove too much then go to the adblock options and the last item is at the top of the customised removal list.

Edited by Kiwi
RIP + Ctrl Shft K

Glad to see another convert though I am a little sad for mozilla, FF was a favourite for a long time.

Mind yo a good web clipping addon might win me back. Something to copy posts and charts out of threads, the odd chart, maybe a movie...and then collate those into some sort of document.

Anyone have suggestions? I looked at a couple some while back and they seemed clunky.