Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Calculating Value Area

FYI - Volume at Price is available for download at the CMEGroup site for all futures products. It's in the middle of the page:

Volume & Open Interest

I extracted the ES contract and plotted the Volume at Price for the area above where we are currently trading. This is the Excel chart for the date range noted. It's also premium adjusted for the December contract. The inset chart is the area the bar graph represents.

5aa710371150a_VolumeatPrice.thumb.jpg.f4769b944026829ad45f91a6482f9948.jpg

I´ve been looking at this value area, very interesting.

I have a VA Indicator in NinjaTrader, it calculates the VA and the POC... It works fine, cause I can actually check the figures with Larry Levins email, this confirmed it was using the same data formulas etc...

Can anyone answer me this..... What surprises me is that the VA will be different on a 1min - 5min - 30m chart... The 30min matches with Larry and I know thats what he uses, but I don´t understand why it would be different on a 1 - 5 - 30min chart ?

Its not time frame based in that respect, it measures the 70% volume based over the trading period 9:30am - 16:15pm EST, so how does changing the chart time setting effect it ? There is a setting for "calculate on bar close" but even setting that to True or False on all the time-frames doesn´t matter... Far as I can see it shouldn´t matter at all what time frame it is on to do the calculation as the calculation is based on the 09:30am to 16:15 close anyway, isn´t it. Anyone know why its different 1min, to 5min to 30min charts ?

It is only slightly different, a few cents... 60min chart makes it wildly different though... If I use a tick chart which isn´t time based at all then the values are different again between different calue charts, doesn´t make any sense to my tiny neewb brain... lol :crap:

It is time based. With market profile, each price traded within a certain period gets allocated a TPO letter for that period once only no matter how much it trades during that period. The VA calculation is not simply 70% of the TPO (which btw in standard MP is just an approximation of volume).

This is a method used to calculate the value area.

Source: Mind over Markets

"First identify the price at which the greatest volume occurred. Then, sum the volumes occurring at the two prices directly above the high-volume price and compare it to the total volume of the two prices below the high-volume price. The dual price total with the highest volume becomes part of the value area. This process continues until 70% of the volume is reached."

The most important thing to realise in understanding the difference in value area when then timeframe is switched is that on a 1 min TF for example the price may span 20 ticks in a half hour period which would have a single TPO for each price, but price may have moved in one direction and stayed at the extreme of this move. So on the 1min, more TPO's would be generated at the extreme within the 30min period.

Ok that makes sense in that respect yes... I can surely see the difference between why the 70% volume traded would be different over individual candles....... But, if you compared the volume traded over 30 x 1min candles, compared to 1 x 30m candle, would the 70% volume over the "collective 30 candles" be the same as the "singular 1 30m candle" ? (Assuming that the 30x1 and 1x30 started and ended at exactly the same time).

My point is that the Value Area is calculated between 09:30am and 16:15pm, where 70% is traded between those 6.75hours...The candle time period is irrelvent surely, the VA is defined by a static 6.75 hour period, not individual candles. Is that not right ?

Whether it is 1m or 30, or tick charts, or volume charts should not make a difference to where the 70% volume is traded over a 6.75 hour period, surely ?

Obviously I am still confused, sorry.

If people are using standard market profile and they are referring to volume, they are not being strictly accurate in their description. A market profile TPO or print, is generated by any amount of trading at a price in a single time period. It does not depend of volume, but is used as an apporximation to volume given the likelihood that the longer the amount of time spent at a price the more volume that probably traded there. It doesn't matter though if within the time period you are looking at, a price trades 1 contract or 10,000 contracts, it will still only get a single TPO for that time period. When the next period comes around, a price can receive an additional TPO but again only once within the same time period.

If for example you are trading a product and it trades in a 30 period from a price of 100 to 200 in the first 1 min, then remains between 180 and 200 for the remaining 29 mins of the period oscillating up and down, this is what you would see using different profiles.

30min profile:- A line of single TPO prints.

1min profile:- A single line of TPO prints up to 180 then many more prints between 180-200.

This reflects the fact that prices from 100-180 only traded in a single period but prices between 180-200 traded in multiple different 1 min periods. The 30min profile covered only one single period so prices couldn't accumulate additional TPO prints.

Did you take a look at the CBOT MP manual?

http://www.cmegroup.com/education/interactive/marketprofile/handbook.pdf

Im not talking about Market Profile strictly.

Im talking about the calculation of the value area which is the prices where 70% of the volume is traded during the session (ES) 09:30am and 16:15pm, I can only see the title of the FORUM as being "Calculating Value Area"...

Did you see my actual questions ? Guess you don´t know the answer which is fine... No problem. Thanks anyway.

Anyone else know the answer to my question ?

Haha. Maybe listen? If you are looking at a market profile, there is a difference as volume is approximated by TPOs. If you are looking at a volume profile, there should be NO difference. If you are really looking at a volume profile, I would suggest going and looking at your indicator settings. In some I have seen, you need to manually set the VA type to Volume as it defaults to TPO. The indicator you have if it is from the forum may not have the option even to change the VA calculation method. Imo Ninja is not great for MP/volume profile.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TheNegotiator

Haha. Maybe listen? If you are looking at a market profile, there is a difference as volume is approximated by TPOs. If you are looking at a volume profile, there should be NO difference. If you are really looking at a volume profile, I would suggest going and looking at your indicator settings. In some I have seen, you need to manually set the VA type to Volume as it defaults to TPO. The indicator you have if it is from the forum may not have the option even to change the VA calculation method. Imo Ninja is not great for MP/volume profile.

Hope this helps.

Ok, Thats exactly what I thought. I did find a setting in there earlier like you say, it can be changed from TPO to VOC (Volume on close?) - Even in the VOC mode though, there are still differences in the VA when you change from 1-5-30min charts. LOL.

Thanks for your help. Have a feeling that it´s a dodgy indicator. Going to try and contact the writer of it. Cheers.

Hi SoulTrader,

apologize for my naive question: where / on which site do you find the data needed for calculating the Value area?

As you see I'm a newcomer to this and would appreciate your help on this

Kind regards. didi52:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Date: 2nd May 2024. Market News – Stocks mixed; Yen support still on; Eyes on NFP & Apple tonight. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   As the Fed maintained a “high-for-longer” stance, stocks gave up their gains with attention turning back to earnings. Chair Powell and the Fed were not as hawkish as feared and the markets reacted immediately and in textbook fashion to the still dovish policy stance. The Fed flagged that recent disappointing inflation readings could make rate cuts a while in coming, but Fed chief Jerome Powell characterized the risk of more hikes as “unlikely,” giving some solace to markets. Stocks traded mixed across Asia, while in Europe, DAX and FTSE futures are finding buyers and US futures are also in demand, after the Fed’s message. Yen: Another suspected intervention by authorities, this time in late New York trading, ran into resistance from traders keen to keep selling the currency. Swiss CPI lifted to 1.4% y/y in April from 1.0% y/y in the previous month. Headline numbers are still at low levels and base effects play a role, with the different timing of Easter this year also likely to distort the picture. That said, the numbers may not question the SNB’s decision to cut rates, but they do not support another rate cut in June. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex has corrected to 105.58, but USDJPY is already inching higher again, after a sharp drop to a low of 153.04 on Tuesday that sparked fresh intervention speculation. The pair is currently trading at 155.38. Treasury yields plunged and were down over double digits before profit taking set in. USOIL finished with a -3.6% loss to $79.00, the lowest since March 12. Currently it is as $79.53. Gold was up 1.4% to $2319.55 per ounce, reclaiming the $2300 level. Market Trends:   Wall Street climbed initially with gains of 1.4% on the NASDAQ, 1.2% on the Dow, and 0.96% on the S&P500. The NASDAQ and S&P500 closed with losses of -0.3%, while the Dow was 0.23% firmer. The Hang Seng rallied more than 2%, and the ASX also posting slight gains, while CSI 300 and Nikkei declined. Apple’s earnings report is due after the US market closes today, will give investors a better sense of how the iPhone maker is weathering a sales slump, due in part to a sluggish China market. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • $CHWY Chewy stock breakdown watch, https://stockconsultant.com/?CHWY
    • $PYXS Pyxis Oncology stock low volume pullback to 4.32 support area, high trade quality, https://stockconsultant.com/?PYXS
    • $EVER EverQuote stock strong day, breakout, https://stockconsultant.com/?EVER
    • Date: 1st May 2024. Understanding the Implications of the FOMC Meeting. The FOMC will issue its post-meeting statement at 18:00 GMT tonight. “High-for-longer” is the expected outcome (but not higher) given more indications that progress on bringing inflation sustainably down to the 2% target has stalled out. With no new quarterly forecasts, it will be all about Chair Powell’s press conference when the Fed announces its policy stance tonight.   It is unlikely to be any more hawkish than what the markets are pricing in. Indeed, Chair Powell will have to acknowledge that the data are going the wrong way and he may even pre-empt the likely first question out of the box, “is a rate hike in the cards?” Meanwhile, Fed funds futures have not only fully priced out chances for a rate cut for this meeting and for June, but July as well. Risk for a reduction in September fell to below 50-50 on the initial spike in implied rates on the ECI news. The November contract reflects 20 bps in cuts, with a full quarter point easing now not seen until December. The FOMC is also expected to announce a slowing in Treasury runoff for June.   Economic Projections & Market Interpretation: The March update of the SEP revealed notable adjustments in key economic indicators. GDP forecasts for 2024 experienced a substantial upward revision, reflecting a more optimistic outlook with a growth rate of 2.1%, up from 1.4% in December. Similarly, projections for 2025 saw improvements, with the median jobless rate forecasts showing mixed trends but generally aligning with recent patterns. Expectations for headline and core PCE chain price indices also witnessed slight adjustments, indicating potential shifts in inflation dynamics. During the March meeting, the “dot plot” estimates hinted at a dovish stance by Fed members, with no indications of further rate hikes and median estimates suggesting potential rate cuts in 2024. This interpretation led markets to anticipate the initiation of quarterly rate cuts starting in June. As investors await the June SEP update, there is speculation about further adjustments in GDP estimates, PCE chain price indices, and the potential revision of rate cut expectations.   Analyzing the labor market reveals a complex picture of recovery and ongoing challenges. Payrolls have shown resilience in 2024, surpassing the previous year’s averages, albeit with variations across sectors. Despite improvements, the jobless rate remains a focal point, with fluctuations reflecting broader economic conditions. Additionally, metrics like the U-6 rate and wage growth provide insights into the labor market’s health and potential inflationary pressures.   Inflation Trends and Consumption Patterns: Inflation dynamics have been closely monitored, particularly amid recent fluctuations in commodity prices and supply chain disruptions. While recent CPI and PCE chain price measures suggest some moderation in inflationary pressures, concerns linger about the sustainability of these trends. The Fed’s attention to inflation remains paramount, shaping expectations for future policy actions. Consumer spending, a key driver of economic growth, has exhibited resilience despite ongoing uncertainties. Real personal consumption expenditures (PCE) have maintained positive growth rates, contributing to overall GDP expansion. However, shifts in consumption patterns and potential impacts on future economic performance warrant careful observation.   Market Expectations and Implications: As the FOMC meeting approaches, market participants are closely monitoring economic indicators and policy developments for insights into future market dynamics. The verbiage of the Fed statement and subsequent press briefing will be scrutinized for any hints regarding the timing of potential policy adjustments. Investors should remain vigilant and adaptable, considering the evolving economic landscape and its implications for investment strategies. The upcoming FOMC meeting holds significant implications for investors and economic stakeholders. Understanding recent economic developments, market expectations, and potential policy shifts is essential for navigating the dynamic financial environment. By staying informed and proactive, investors can position themselves to capitalize on emerging opportunities while managing risks effectively. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.