Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Need some help with Windowz

As you all know, I hate windows really bad and hate anything PC really bad. So...I know nothing about them. I do, however, have to use Windows XP for my execution platform so I use it through Parallels on my Mac. What I don't understand is how to stop IE from popping up all these random ass windows that are like WinAntiVirus Pro scans and dog food ads and all this crap...and then they won't close!

Is there some software I can install to make this all go away?

Thanks

You probably have spyware Tin... go to microsoft.com and download their free windows defender and run a scan. Thats the only software I used on my XP and it helped keep my comp clean. Just make sure you dont download unnecessary things on your trading PC or visit malicious sites. If your comp is running slow and cant seem to fix it, I suggest installing a fresh clean copy of XP and deleting everything. Make sure to save your data first somewhere. I absolutely hate spyware and junk so now I keep all data on an external HD and if I ever run into problems with my pc, I just run a fresh install.

As you all know, I hate windows really bad and hate anything PC really bad. So...I know nothing about them. I do, however, have to use Windows XP for my execution platform so I use it through Parallels on my Mac. What I don't understand is how to stop IE from popping up all these random ass windows that are like WinAntiVirus Pro scans and dog food ads and all this crap...and then they won't close!

Is there some software I can install to make this all go away?

Thanks

I would start at a lowest level and install something like google toolbar or yahoo toolbar, they both are free and offer pop-up blockers. IMO google is the better of the blockers. Also you can enable pop-up blocking in IE as well. You will have to add sites you go to with charts that open on new windows and add them to the allowed list.

Hope it helps, if not you probably have spyware/malware like James said.

I'll cross that bridge with you if needed, hopefully it's not. ;)

I use FireFox on the PC side of the mac, and IE keeps popping up with this garbage. I'll do what you guys say. Sucks that you even have to do this crap.

On Firefox, which I use personally...go to options and then to the content tab. At the top there is a pop-up blocker setup, if thats dosen't fix ya up its probably spyware/adware/malware etc...

Mac's are sweet, I have an older powerbook g4 12"...If I could afford a macbook pro I'd run that over my HP notebook anyday. I support mac's at work BTW as well as pc's. I used to do design work and have used macs since 1993. I've built and serviced PC's for a long time too.

If you're not using IE at all, you could set the security options to high. That should disable all scripting. Most certainly you've got some ad/spy/malware though.

I'm using noscript, cookiesafe and flashblock with firefox, works fine most of the time and requires just a little extra work.

Its interesting because I hardly ever use a browser on the PC side except to get the occasional CBOT video or get this spyware stuff. I downloaded that AVG free program and I can't believe the stuff it came up with. yikes!

Yea, it's definitely not a FF pop up thing...so I'll try that AVG thing. Thanks guys!

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

This is free and excellent anti spyware application...I run this when windows starts as a resident program for protection.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

This is a 2nd program I run every week or so...also free for spyware removal.

Often you need to run a few to catch all the critters.

change to opera once you have everything fixed up :)

The only time I ever open IE is after I reinstall to download the latest opera version. Haven't had any popup or spyware issues in years.

James, If you haven't updated opera in awhile and don't have the speed dial, check out the newest version. This speed dial startup page thing totally rocks.