Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

darthtrader

the cbot handbook/home study book

If you think Mind over Markets is boring, good luck trying to get through that CBOT manual. :o

Actually I find these MP books very interesting read and not boring at all. Each chapter seems to go in a natural progression, a new chapter feeds off the previous ones. What I find boring are trading books that read like an encyclopedia where you find 20 chapters totally unrelated to each other.

The version you found is actually the 2nd version of the handbook and was originally available for $500 quite a large amount of money back in 1989 for such a book. There was in fact an earlier version written in if I remember 1984 but the CBOT lost it however all is not lost for I possess a copy and it is imho a much easier read and better presented

The following were all CBOT senoir staff members:

The Editor and writer was Shera Buyer

Robert Menchin was a consulting editor

Michael Boyle developed the format for the MP Graphic

Richard Stack worked with CQG to make the MP graphic available

Carolyn McDonald designed the cover and the interior layout

Leslie Villarosa, Johnathan Laing, Robert Jirout all contibuted and this manual had a forward by Pete and I quote:

Trading is not a lost art in America. It is a skill that has never been fully developed. While the economic climate is relatively stable, a passive approach to the market was possible asnd even advisable. But with the advent of increased market volatility, an active trading strategy is the logival choice of individual and prefessional investors alike. It is further confirmed by soaring trading volume in all debt, equity and commodity markets.

Although today's market conditions clearly call for a more active investment strategy, many individuals are deterred from this approach by the risk. This risk is real but with market understanding it can be managed

Trading successfully is not as difficult as it is sometimes thought to be. Basically I believe trading is explained by this simple equation:

Market understanding times you plus your trading method equals results. Successful traders have two things in common - a thorough understanding of market activity and a strict trading discipline. Discipline varies from person to person but market structure is fixed and subject to understanding. True understanding greatly reduces and often eliminates the market's known risk factors leaving the trader free to deal with unpredicatable developments and his own temperament.

Your personal approach dominates the equation. No one is more capable of handling that factor that you are. You in effect control your own destiny. The CBOT service gives you the tools to understand market acticity. And if you overlay a disciplined trading approach on the market's basic structural organization you can improve your trading results.

In order to recognize opportunitym to respond appropriately and to make timely adjustments as you go, you need to know what the market is doing and under what conditions. The difference between knowing and guessing is vital. I hope this manual will allow you to capitalize on the difference and to accept trading as a legitimate investment alternative to passive portfolio management

J Peter Steidlmayer

end quote

Reminder this was written in as I say 1984 and could have been written today

Guest forsearch
The version you found is actually the 2nd version of the handbook and was originally available for $500 quite a large amount of money back in 1989 for such a book. There was in fact an earlier version written in if I remember 1984 but the CBOT lost it however all is not lost for I possess a copy and it is imho a much easier read and better presented

Are you willing to post the first version for download, if it's available in .pdf format?

Hello Alleyb,

I've been looking for months for the original CBOT Market Profile Handbook from 1984. I notice a thread that said that you may have this book. Is there a way I could buy it off of you, or do you know where I can find it? I'd be extremely in debt, and appreciate it greatly. I hear that this book may have lots of useful trade setups which are not mentioned in any market profile books available.

Thanks,

Andrew