Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

thinking that our 100 bills will have imprinted your face... are you enough nice ? jejejeje.... .

Gee I wish,

but getting more wrinkles than a prune....

maybe DrJ would fill the bill.

Hello Walterw, Pyenner and all, just wanted to tell you that as I read more and more about your Fantail VMA method Walterw, it is just incredible and your videos are absolutely great. In fact, I have downloaded all of them and keep them in a library for reference. I really see that this method has a lot of potential and the Banana Republic will be soon created. With lots of banana of course:o

I have made a request to Ensign Software that they create an indicator or template of the Fantail VMA so that i can use it on this platform as I really like it and can have any lenght of historical lookback that I want.

Will keep you all informed of my development in trading this great method.

Walterw and Pyenner, you are 2 very incredible guys and I really want to thank both of you for consistent commitments to help us become better traders.

I do agree that MT4 is a lot more user friendly than the VT chart.

Sincerely

Shreem:)

Walter

Just add FantailVMA4.mq4 as an indicator to get just the 3 vma lines.

Enjoy

Great stuff Bruce ¡¡ I will be testing this all day long, will keep posted on my usage vision... but yes.. it is what I was emulating ¡¡¡ thanks a lot ¡¡

Gee I wish,

but getting more wrinkles than a prune....

maybe DrJ would fill the bill.

We can do some re-touches... jejejeje... cheers Walter.

Hello Walterw, Pyenner and all, just wanted to tell you that as I read more and more about your Fantail VMA method Walterw, it is just incredible and your videos are absolutely great. In fact, I have downloaded all of them and keep them in a library for reference. I really see that this method has a lot of potential and the Banana Republic will be soon created. With lots of banana of course:o

I have made a request to Ensign Software that they create an indicator or template of the Fantail VMA so that i can use it on this platform as I really like it and can have any lenght of historical lookback that I want.

Will keep you all informed of my development in trading this great method.

Walterw and Pyenner, you are 2 very incredible guys and I really want to thank both of you for consistent commitments to help us become better traders.

I do agree that MT4 is a lot more user friendly than the VT chart.

Sincerely

Glad to hear that Shreem.... we certainly have much more job to be done ahead... cheers Walter.

Not again

So this time the template stops at the live end.

So there is a problem with FantailVMA4.mq4.

So I will delete that one and try again, sheeeesh.

Yeap... unfortunately something its not working ok "yet"... the indicators DO work on real time... but if I reload them (devils advocate) they plot diferent...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3067&stc=1&d=1190641831

attachment.php?attachmentid=3068&stc=1&d=1190641831

sorry Bruce for this... :doh: I know you will find the glitch... keep us posted.. and thanks for your great efforts man ¡¡¡ cheers Walter

PD the above chart has the fantailvma 3 template plus the vma 4 indicators alone...

5aa70e07aa703_realtime.thumb.png.a5e391f7e4941d687ce3207945b94e2b.png

reloaded.thumb.png.7f625e59d5679298a8e68f5327143304.png

Pyenner, if I can ask, how do yo arrive at the construction of a VMA line? Do you mix an EMA with the ADX has Bemac was doing or do do something different?

The reason I ask is if I can know how to construct the Variable Moving Average (VMA), it will be more easy afterward to add the others line to it to get the rainbow.

Thank in advance

Sincerely

Yes Shreem

Same as Bemac was doing.

But on MT4 you have to use a special timing patch to keep the arrays synchronized and it just drives me nuts because...

1. You shouldn't have to do patches to keep MT4 from crashing itself and

2. There are no decent instructions I can find on templates and sychronizing so I just go nuts trying to make sense of senseless stuff.

Only in MT4 you have this :crap:

Cheers

Think I need a holiday....

Here is the missing file FantailVMA4.mq4

If you have previously used the bad copy, you may need to shut down MT4 and restart it after the good copy has gone into the indicators folder. Otherwise it seems to keep using the old bad version, doesn't know it has been changed :confused:

Please let me know if it works or not Walter.

FantailVMA4.mq4

Hello Pyenner, thank for your reply. Will input the FantailVMA4.mq4 tonight when I get back from work and will keep you and Walterw updated how things are going. When I get the version for Ensign Software, will post an image here so that you can see it.

Sincerely

Bruce.. this is the turbo :

I notice this diference between real time and reload offline...

REALTIME :

attachment.php?attachmentid=3075&stc=1&d=1190652795

RELOADED :

attachment.php?attachmentid=3076&stc=1&d=1190652795

That was with the original turbo version... I see this new vma4 would be one of the slow lines (yellow) of the turbo....

that real time plotting issue solved would finally get us on bussiness with vma4 turbo.... thanks Walter.

5aa70e07d40b2_realtime2.thumb.gif.b46d4e0ebfe4f2f83790e333ecc9312a.gif

5aa70e07da6c1_reloaded2.thumb.gif.fade798a99ae40fe3b3cf5e2b65fa642.gif

Walter

MT4 has some defects, this may be one of them.

With some other indicators I use, I notice on startup that when the chart data gap gets filled, the indicator does not get re-written properly.

So I often have to wait for the data loading to finish (watch the kb numbers in the bottom right corner), then shut down MT4 and start it up again. Get right looking results the second time.

Also there is some strange "time stretching" visible in charts when you compare different pairs which can be seen on 4hr charts in particular.

I have not used vma enough yet to be aware of a startup problem, but it would not surprise me if MT4 will need to be started twice before each session.

<sigh>

Either "Charts" tab then refresh or

right click on chart, then refresh

can help fill gaps in charts.

Again watch the kb's in the bottom right corner to see if data comes thru.

Also there will be a journal entry to say x bars filled in chart y if the Refresh found a gap in the chart data.

Walter

All of the vma versions I have been working on in MT4 have a problem I called glitches. It seemed like an HE was being triggered when it shouldn't.

A vma line often looks like it got shifted to the right when this happens.

In your 2 pix, the data looks identical yet the vma finds a difference.

It is interesting to see it happening on the slower lines too, I had thought it was just the faster lines that had the problem.

I have not tried running two identical charts side by side to see if they differ.

I mistrust MT4, the vma is sensitive to a single pip of difference, I think it is likely to be an MT4 malfunction/unreliability issue.

No Worries Bruce... I think vma4 its giving the leading line I expected to see... obviously I will not use it to look for the clean HE`s as I do with the previous versions...

I am not expert on MT4 but this type of phenomena (divergence betwwen real time plot/historical plot) I had only see it on the vma4... all previous vma versions, plot on realtime "exactly" as when you look to historical data on your chart... could some command there be missing ? dont go nuts my friend.. jejeje cheers Walter.

This thread is for PLAYING with vmars.... here we let loose our imagination of how we can combine this beautifull set of indicators as well play with inputs, new formulas etc...

Here I attach a 5 min chart of AUD/USD with fantailvma1 rainbow template plus a vma3 baseline (red)...

look at the red line in relation to the black one... isnt that nice ?... cristal clean relationship...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3087&stc=1&d=1190662753

it calls for some new possible setups... cheers Walter.

5aa70e08499e5_redandblack.thumb.png.dc8e49576e2074716766823a2280ef76.png

Historical charts only contain OHLC, they contain no pip data like live feed.

VMA4 uses only Close price.

Previous versions used only High and Low.

That change was done to improve the reliability on live charts.

Have also done a momentum type input with binary switching, no vma.

That was the dicture you didnt like. So far it is more reliable but does bot yet do long HEs.

VMA4 does show ripple because it has very little smoothing in it, keep the time delays down. As you say there are 5432 versions, time will tell which delivers best.

> could some command there be missing ? dont go nuts my friend..<

Arghhh, wash your mouth out, bad words...

yeah, always possible, <sob>.

Walter

The fast red line tends to jump between Close prices.

On a long candle, that can make for a big movement from a minimal difference detected.

The way to fix that would be to slow it down some more.

But there is actually little adjustment left, its like there are only two options available, red line or blue line. If you adjust either they tend to behave like the other. Its at the limit of its ability for adjustment.

The good thing is the progressive warning of a reversal that you sometimes get, nice exit warning :o

What I dont understand is what data he uses when you load the indicator from scratch again vs the real time thing... why does it get so slopy on rt ? dont want to sound annoying... hope I dont spell any bad word here... jejeje

Bruce, would you be interested to see what I am doing on paralel with cci ? and my ideas about a possible ultra modern oscillator... just ideas here, dont want to be annoying... anoying people get others anoyed and then the anoyed want to get the anoyer anoyed too.. so this anoyed people are so anoyed they just anoyedly keep anoying each other... isnt all this phrase anoying jejeje ... I think today trading got me anoyed ¡¡¡ cheers Walter.

Playing here... with just 1 min chart... a fantailvma3 rainbow plus the corrected vma4 standalone (red)... they do perform prety nice... trend trades (icon type) and countertrend after lazy exhaustion... really scalper oriented thing... for the amount of setups on the day you can shoot for 5-7 bucks contract/day... not bad... (on 1000 contracts) cheers Walter.

Walter

The fastest line should be to the left, closest to the price.

Then blue a bit to the right, the yellow further right.

I see you changed the colors to make fastest yellow.

I used red because it needs caution, can change direction, zigzag.

Doesnt matter so long as it works for you.

Darn, also meant to attach fantail to slowest line so it doesn't block the view of the price action so much, looks like I automatically put it on the fastest line. Oh well.

Lack of sleep.... just caught up, zombie stuff.