Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

Hello PYenner, after trying more harder and harder, still do not understand how to construct a VMA:confused:

I really want to be able to have this FantailVMA on Ensign Software but I need to understand how can I add a variable moving average in my chart before being able to add it to the ADX.

If you dont mind, can you share with me how you come to construct the VMA. What is the formula to create it?

Thank in advance and sorry if it appear as a dumb question as I am really not well versed in computer programming

Sincerely

Shreem:)

What I dont understand is what data he uses when you load the indicator from scratch again vs the real time thing... why does it get so slopy on rt ? dont want to sound annoying... hope I dont spell any bad word here... jejeje

Bruce, would you be interested to see what I am doing on paralel with cci ? and my ideas about a possible ultra modern oscillator... just ideas here, dont want to be annoying... anoying people get others anoyed and then the anoyed want to get the anoyer anoyed too.. so this anoyed people are so anoyed they just anoyedly keep anoying each other... isnt all this phrase anoying jejeje ... I think today trading got me anoyed ¡¡¡ cheers Walter.

On historical data it gets only one price to read per bar, the close price.

On a live chart, a 5 pip candle has 5 choices per bar.

So on a live chart it is following the ticks, faster than the bars,:o

The slowest line will often be 2 or 3 bars later, to the right.

One reason for attempting a binary version was to minimize the time delays that are built into the vma formula.

The binary version has no vma to slow it down 2-3 bars, but so far it doesnt do long HEs either...

You dont annoy me Walter, MT4 does, lots of things frustrate.

I need to get some trading done, make some $, coz nothing but indicators for a month. When I have a live trade and do other stuff, I can forget about the trade!!!! So need to do a bit of both.

The first problem I have with CCI is that it seems to be unsymmetrical or non-linear or something, when the price goes up in two steps the same size CCI shows the first rise big and the second rise looks small, danger danger non-linear not good.

Hello PYenner, after trying more harder and harder, still do not understand how to construct a VMA:confused:

I really want to be able to have this FantailVMA on Ensign Software but I need to understand how can I add a variable moving average in my chart before being able to add it to the ADX.

If you dont mind, can you share with me how you come to construct the VMA. What is the formula to create it?

Thank in advance and sorry if it appear as a dumb question as I am really not well versed in computer programming

Sincerely

We all learn programming languages as we need them.

All of the MT4 files are txt files, you can open them with Notepad or word processor or Meta Editor in MT4 and try to follow what the code is saying.

VMA is very similar to the formula for an ema.

Sma formula can look like this-

SmaResult[]=(1-k)Oldprice[] + k*NewPrice[]

[] means a storage array, one price or result is stored for each bar on the chart.

k is called the weighting, in this case it is fractional between 0-1.

When k=1 you get SmaResult[]=NewPrice[]

When k=0 you get SmaResult[]=Oldprice[]

When k=0.5 you get an average,EmaResult[]=0.5*Oldprice[]+0.5*NewPrice[].

So its an average, that one looks like a simple average of prices from two bars, 50:50.

The Sma formula can also look like this, but now k is no longer fractional here-

SmaResult[]=((1-1/k)Oldprice[] + NewPrice[])/k

(This k behaves like a bar count).

k=4 is like a 4 bar average because

SmaResult[]=3/4 * Oldprice[] + 1/4 * NewPrice[]

The result is 3 parts OldPrice and 1 part NewPrice similar to a 4 bar average.

This k is often in integers, but there can be decimals like k=2.5.

Ema can give more weight to recent data- (with k fractional)

EmaResult[new]=(1-k)EmaResult[old] + k*NewPrice[new]

This is a running or moving average, the numbers stored in EmaResult[] can be mostly older prices (slow average) or mostly new prices (fast average) depending on the weighting k. k=1 gives fast average, stays close to new prices, this is like laddering. K is fractional here.

k=0 gives no change with new prices, like horizonal effect.

So the Chande VMA formula looks like Ema formula-(with k=VI fractional)

VMA[new]=(1-VI)VMA[old] + VI*NewPrice[new]

VI is the input signal, it provides variable weighting.

VI=1 is laddering, ignores old prices, follows new prices.

VI=0 is horizonal, ignores new prices and stays with-

VMA[new]=VMA[old]

Bemac used a 2 bar ema of the Chande formula, VMA4 uses the Chande formula with three different emas applied to it. Yeah it got more complicated.

But for feeding a signal into the Chande VMA formula, the input VI= "Volatility Index" has to move between zero and one. So many forms of indicator are not suited to giving 0-1 output and something has to be changed to give 0-1 output for sending to the VMA.

Walter

Use FantailVMA4Turbo and FantailVMA3 as indicators to compare #3 with #4.

Dont use FantailVMA4 as an indicator, it is not indended to be added as an indicator, it is only there to make fantail lines.

I started this confusion sorry.

Better luck with 4Turbo.

Turbo4versus3.thumb.jpg.bee27bc3a309a47133bb94e09914bb45.jpg

would you be interested to see what I am doing on paralel with cci ? cheers Walter.

Walter

I would be interested in your thoughts on incorporating cci into this method, as I, like yourself, am a big fan of cci.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

How to use the three VMA4 files-

The files are used in a different way from the past in order to have the 3 vma lines with or without the fantail.

To use the fantail-

First add FantailVMA4.tpl as a template,

then add FantailVMA4Turbo.mq4 as an indicator to get the vma lines.

To use just the vma lines without a fantail-

Add FantailVMA4Turbo.mq4 as an indicator.

Don't add FantailVMA4.mq4 as in indicator in either case as it will only give you the first yellow line of the fantail...

Walter

I would be interested in your thoughts on incorporating cci into this method, as I, like yourself, am a big fan of cci.

Blu-Ray

Blu-Ray

I will attempt to "translate" VMA4 into VT type statements that may be more useful for others to follow than the MT4 version.

But I won't be attempting to actually code it on VT.

I ended up doing three vma lines so it got more complicated instead of less complicated.

I still have more to do on vma, months maybe.

Although vma4 seems like the first "trader friendly" version, I feel like I have only got to the start of understanding how it works, certainly not near the end, not nearly mastered yet.

Would also like to get an excel version running, but where is all the time supposed to come from?

Cheers

Hello PYenner, thank you very much for your excellent explanation about how to construct the VMA. This is very helpful and will I start from there in trying to code it for Ensign Software.

You are right, coding certainely take a lot of time and it is a big learning process all by itself.

Sincerely

Great explanations Bruce ¡¡... I know we all suffer here from the same problem "lack of time"... forget about cci... I think vma optimizations as you are doing is the way at this point.

Blu-Ray: some time today I will post some charts with the cci adding... cheers Walter.

uups forgot to upload chart... I will have to :zzz::zzz:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3091&stc=1&d=1190679672

cheers Walter...

Walter

The fastest line should be to the left, closest to the price.

Then blue a bit to the right, the yellow further right.

I see you changed the colors to make fastest yellow.

I used red because it needs caution, can change direction, zigzag.

Doesnt matter so long as it works for you.

Darn, also meant to attach fantail to slowest line so it doesn't block the view of the price action so much, looks like I automatically put it on the fastest line. Oh well.

Lack of sleep.... just caught up, zombie stuff.

This chart is : fantailvma3 template plus fantailvma4 standalone line (red)...

I know Bruce it was not your intention to give this type of use to this line, but I find it a nice clean "signal" line to the vma3 baseline (yellow)... all experimental here.... cheers Walter.

I know Bruce it was not your intention to give this type of use to this line, but I find it a nice clean "signal" line to the vma3 baseline (yellow)... all experimental here.... cheers Walter.

Yes experimenting is a good way to discover things...

But my head kinda overflows ya know, need 50Gb more ram or something...???

So long as the dam doesnt break and let it all flood out...

Blu-Ray

I will attempt to "translate" VMA4 into VT type statements that may be more useful for others to follow than the MT4 version.

But I won't be attempting to actually code it on VT.

I ended up doing three vma lines so it got more complicated instead of less complicated.

Thanks PYenner, that would be much appreciated, as then I should be able to code it into TS.

Blu-Ray: some time today I will post some charts with the cci adding... cheers Walter.

Thanks Walter.

I am so glad Bruce not to be Anoying ¡¡ thanks for telling me that... you know you have a first seat on the "Tokyo Gang"...

my question here... fantailvma3 inputs :

ADX_Length : 2

Weighting : 2

is there a chance this inputs could get to a minimum of 1.5 ?...

is that actually posible... I really dont know how the formula works, thats why I ask.... thanks Walter.

Hello PYenner, thank for the input about a possible coming version of FantailVMA4 for VT statement. I will certainely look into that and see how to get it coded in Ensign.

Sincerely

my question here... fantailvma3 inputs :

ADX_Length : 2

Weighting : 2

is there a chance this inputs could get to a minimum of 1.5 ?...

The weighting does go down to 1.0

but ADX_Length has to be integer and two is the smallest possible.

It needs to be tweaked on the inside before it can go faster or slower properly.

VMA4 runs three versions of (almost) VMA3, one for each line, each adjusted for the speed of its line.

VMA3 does do smoother lines than VMA4.

I don't yet know how to do a single VMA that will adjust over the full range from very fast to very slow. It would be nice to have that so a fantail of vma lines can be called from a template.

The weighting does go down to 1.0

but ADX_Length has to be integer and two is the smallest possible.

It needs to be tweaked on the inside before it can go faster or slower properly.

VMA4 runs three versions of (almost) VMA3, one for each line, each adjusted for the speed of its line.

VMA3 does do smoother lines than VMA4.

I don't yet know how to do a single VMA that will adjust over the full range from very fast to very slow. It would be nice to have that so a fantail of vma lines can be called from a template.

ok I believe I understand something there...

you mentioned Bruce vma4 was using close... and vma 3 high and low... if that is the case can a version of vma4 use also high and low an still be a little more tighter than vma 3 ?.... thinking in loud voice.... thanks Walter.

vma4 was using close... and vma 3 high and low... can a version of vma4 use also high and low an still be a little more tighter than vma 3 ?.....

Yes, think its a little slower but not much.

Walter

Looks like vma4 is overkill.

Faster than it needs to be.

Better to have stronger HE like vma3

and go back to using Hi and Lo.

What do you think?

I completely agree... unfortunately vma4 its to noisy... actually vma3 has this properties... if you could find a midle one between vma3 and vma4 (little tighter than vma3 but not so noisy like vma4) we would be complete... thanks a lot Bruce ¡¡ cheers Walter.

Hi Walter and PYenner,

I've been playing with the timing some and I thought I'd offer this for your consideration. Seems to have potential... figured you wouldn't mind since this thread is for casting about ideas.

What I've done is add a dinapoli ma to the charts (3 sma, shift 3, close)

I am thinking Walter's notion of the HE in combination with his idea of determining trend / trade direction works very well.

My thought is this for now - trade in the direction of trend and use the HEs and 3 sma and we might have a solid entry/exit potential.

The charts I am posting are of the VMA1 and VMA3 both on five minute charts with the 3/3 sma.

Again, not trying to deflect your thinking here...just sharing an idea.

Please ignore the candle formations if they're distracting. I just like the visual.

Regards

audusd5.thumb.gif.2e4a3843d8880f7873394cd8c239d518.gif

Sundowner

I will need to come back to this later.

My head is too full now.

Can see the potential and yes candles need work yet too.

Thank you and don't be discouraged if I skip past this for now.

Cheers