Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

ADXVMA5Line1.mq4

ADXVMA5Line2.mq4

ADXVMA5Line3.mq4

Had to go back to using arrays to fix the live bar problem.

So now its one line per indicator and 3 indicators per chart.

They have been preset to be some use for scalper exits.

They can be set up other ways.

If you want to fiddle with more lines, just add more versions of ADXVMA5Line3 and try different values and line color.

These are aimed at minimum lag, so dont expect smooth curves or long strong HEs.

ADXVMA5Line1.mq4

ADXVMA5Line2.mq4

ADXVMA5Line3.mq4

You got it Bruce ¡¡

Now they are plotting on real time the same you get on historical data...

they are real gooooood ones for tight purposes...

I am testing this ones with Lots of diferent inputs :coffee::coffee: with some coffee on the middle and a lot of inspiration... thanks Bruce ¡¡ cheers Walter.

Must confess I am getting exited with this last ones Bruce ¡¡¡

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up: you are a clear example of perseverance ¡¡ Great job on this lines ¡¡ cheers The chimp...

some chimp stuff here...

Very funny videos, hehehe :o

YEAH ¡¡ I like the party of the second clip ¡¡¡ it looks like a VMA party ¡¡¡

ADXVMALine3

Didn't explain the settings...

ADX_Bars3=4 The others are set to 2 or 3, 4 helps give a "longer view".

Weight3=3.0 Input smoothing, usually doesnt help to change this.

ChandeEMA3=4.0 What do you call it? Works like an ema on the vma.

Bigger number lags it and it doesn't swing so far on the peaks.

Can also try all 3 lines with ChandeEMA3=1.0 for minumum lag.

What is needed maybe is a strong HE line for the consolidation chop.

Problem is this stuff can be 4 bar cycle, 15 bar cycle or even slower and thats makes it complicated for adx and maybe too for cci. I had hoped that cci might have more to offer here than adx which kind of struggles here.

The other problem is the size of the chop, can be 5 pip can be 20 pip.

Probably needs an indicator build for just chop HE and no good for anything else. Just wondering..

CCIVMA2

This is as far as I got with speeding up Sniper CCI in-chart version.

It uses a lot of multiplication, squares, cubes etc.

Very processor intensive.

Seems to miss ticks when used as an in-chart indicator,

yet seems to keep up as a sub-window indicator????:confused:

Might work ok on fast machines but my XP MT4 has slow down problems

and M$ can be expected to slow XP down more with their updates now that Vista is selling.

CCIVMA2.mq4

CCIVMA2

This is as far as I got with speeding up Sniper CCI in-chart version.

It uses a lot of multiplication, squares, cubes etc.

Very processor intensive.

Seems to miss ticks when used as an in-chart indicator,

yet seems to keep up as a sub-window indicator????:confused:

Might work ok on fast machines but my XP MT4 has slow down problems

and M$ can be expected to slow XP down more with their updates now that Vista is selling.

Bruce, did you test this one with live data yet ? would it plot same as historical ? cheers Walter.

>>>>Bruce, did you test this one with live data yet ? would it plot same as historical ? cheers Walter.

On my slow XP it does not keep up.

Live different from historical.

Your idea of a vma of a cci output could be a biggy.

That would be like price --> cci --> adx --> vma

Just shows the big rises or falls, ignores the smaller ones.

[quote name=PYenner;20920

Your idea of a vma of a cci output could be a biggy.

That would be like price --> cci --> adx --> vma

Just shows the big rises or falls' date=' ignores the smaller ones.[/quote]

That could be a great experiment... dont know if it actually would be usefull, but it would be cool to see what comes out from that.. ¡¡

Walter

Are you happy with the trend definition you are getting from vma1

or do you want a version with more adjustments so you can monkey about with the settings?

jejejej.... I am happy, but you know, the chimp inside me likes to experiment new things... Trying to be conservative on this trend definition with vma1... but new experiments would be chimpcool ¡¡

Either extreme pullback for super icon, or I just got burned again.

1hr vma1 up trend near peak,

5min vma1 downtrend than extreme pullback or genuine reversal?

1min has vma3 lines.

5MinVs1Hr.thumb.jpg.0002984d73249ecf9bd23a6100db4d5b.jpg

Greetings PYenner and Walter,

Here's why I'm so interested in your work gentlemen and would like to contribute if possible. (Goldenequity's stuff really)

I'm thinking that if we could combine the HE VMAs with GE's stuff we might just rediscover fire and make some serious money.

Again, PYenner... just for your consideration... no work on your part, yet :)

Usual disclaimer...

Happy Thanksgiving all. (Canada)

Regards

No one of us is smarter than all of us...Carl Gustav Jung.

eur.thumb.gif.8da6974317cefaf1a31942489d25ccdb.gif

Sundowner

I know nothing about GE and it might be next year before I get through with adx and cci with vma.

But constructive discussion is our best hope of finding the "common sense" path towards trading tools that work better and better.

So the longer the thread lasts and gets ongoing input, the better.

When someone does drop a pot of gold idea on us I will probably be the last person to see it, too deeply into my own "thread" to change gears fast.

So please persist and be patient with me, I'm a slow poke.

Forgive me if I use your chart as an example of an issue I am thinking about.

Maybe I should also tell people where my thoughts are going.

In your 15min chart one line lags behind the price by about an hour and the other lags by about 2 hrs. This is what averaging does, it produces time lag.

You get the news but way too late.

Now bemac used time lag from averaging to also produce price lag.

The HE starts late after a minor reversal and it also starts short of the current price.

That price lag is useful when the price reverses fully, gives a good visual sign that a reversal is possible and maybe shows how far the price has to come back towards the HE line before it counts as a solid reversal signal.

My efforts to now have been about reducing the time lag so the vma lines could be useful in the here and now, up to speed with the price.

But the next step is to start working back towards Bemacs strong HEs but to do it with the smallest time lag and maybe to have control over having more or less price lag as needed for particular purposes.

There are other ways of getting price lag but to date I have not explored them. This is stuff that is inside the adx waiting to be fiddled with. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.

It I can get strong HEs with minimum time lag and with user control over any price lag then we may have a whole new ball game for defining trend direction and maybe for other stuff.

In particular vma1 on 5min does not deal well with a period of exhaustion after a strong move. It is taking too long for vma1 to "forget" about the past and deal with the present and its long slow magenta line is a real pest in that case because it lags so far behind reality. Once the strong move is over, the exhaustion period has to be treated as a new begining, forget about the past, it is gone. If I could reset the fantail or rainbow to zero thickness once the price gets into exhaustion, that would be more realistic than the hours of waiting we now have waiting for 5min magenta to get real and catch up to the current price action. While 5min vma1 is out of touch with reality, we only have 1min vma3 to rely on for trend emergence and we have no trend definition based on 1min vma3. New indicators might help there. Progressively the problem areas can be worked on.

For the main trend definition, 5min vma 1 is the best. 5min magenta also has valuable uses at times but it also is a misleading pest at other times.

Then there is cci on its own or cci+adx, neither has been explored far yet.

Snipers cci version gave a good clean signal compared to regular cci, so that difference needs to be understood and maybe exploited, just needs a different approach.

So if I seem to have nothing to say, or seem to be moving at snails pace, it does not mean that the light has gone out. This thread has a long way to go yet.

I don't know whether to try to share my thoughts like this and appear a rambling fool to no purpose, or just get on with following my own path and wait for comments on the indicators that come out of it progressively.

It is taking a surprising length of time to soak up what Walter has found and figure out how it does what it does. What bits are an advantage and what bits maybe could be done a better way.

Of the last 3 indicators I did, line1 and line2 are intended to be useful but at this stage line3 needs to start having stronger HE before it will be useful, then line4 more HE etc.

Work back towards Bemacs HE strength but with minimum time lag and maybe minimum price lag, so the HE line is right in the middle of the choppy little price swings during exhaustion or consolidation.

When a trend does emerge from a tired period, vma also sometimes has the "Randy candle" problem, it starts off in the wrong direction then switches back on you. I dont know if this problem has a solution but it needs some thinking about because reversing a trade is not what you want to be doing.

So there is a lot of stuff being tossed about and most of it comes from other peoples inputs so please keep it up, eventually something may come out of it.

Construction communication can be priceless and it is one of the surprising and pleasing features of this forum.

Hi Bruce... first of all let me tell you man that I like very much to hear this OPEN discussion about your process of thought... I know it may at some point of evolution become some how embarassing to see our previous thoughts, BUT thanks to that open research info being exposed here is where we can take the most of interaction...

I had being joked from being a wikipedia of setups... who cares, so far I have started 50 threads on TL and not all off them are actual "in use" info but they have made a base of a lot of data being discussed actually... so Bruce please feel free to keep exposing this open process of thought as it comes really handy to the overall process of evolution arround vma`s...

I start by agreeing with the vma1 trend definition on 5 min... so far it doesnt get any better... and I got so confortable with it that I may say I feel somehow satisfied with this issue... also on momentum readings, I dont know if you guys went thru the momentum discernment videos here http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/24/walter-s-forex-vma-trend-scalps-2558-3.html but you will notice also how vmar 1 just does an excellent job telling what momentum conditions we have...

My big issue YET is timing.... I have been very happy so far with vmar 3 on 1 min... what I feel that I need is some type of More leadingness without compromising cleanness...

What I think is that trying not to take heat on a trade is a very fullish task... I believe that more than 75% of my trades always take heat, even thought I take trades on pullbacks :doh: but after the heat they normally workout pretty well... so the word here is TOLERANCE during heat once inside a trade.... here is where I am not so interested in having a perfect timing indicator as I am more intersted in having a nice decent timing indicator PLUS Tolerance capabilities to relax my heat period of the trade...

For Example (Idea here) there was a chart posted by Blu-Ray of a cci with a vma of it (some type) where it gives a very peculiar type of oscillator...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3266&stc=1&d=1191681719

you can notice on this one that he crosses 0 on a very clean fashion giving an entry short signal (suppose we have a complete argument on our 5 min vma1 to go short)... and once inside you can see the heat going on against the trade... BUT ccivma (cyan line) can not get above +100 line, working as a TOLERANCE tool on our favor... here I am more than shure that a whipsaw stop would had being avoided thanks to this tolerance....

This Type of tools can eventually do a superb job on this issues... the advantage oscillator haves on this is that they "normalize" certain values of exhaustion very diferent to a price pane based indicator... thats why they can eventually help a lot on the TOLERANCE type function indicator...

So thats my input right now... could we build something like Blu-Rays indicator ? and test its blessings (if they could emerge there)...

Thanks for this great thread Bruce, its really a great challenge ¡¡¡ cheers Walter.

ccivmaidea.png.96f67338d9b1322555e477cfd283621b.png

...it can become embarassing to see our previous thoughts...I had being joked from being a wikipedia of setups... who cares, so far I have started 50 threads on TL and not all off them are actual "in use" info but they have made a base of a lot of data being discussed actually...

I found it "healing" to read some threads that fizzed out. Many ideas fizz out and to see other people getting the same "failure" as I got, its so real world, it makes you feel better about keeping on trying. So I'm glad the "embarassing" stuff doesn't all get deleted.

...you will notice also how vmar 1 just does an excellent job telling what momentum conditions we have...

ADX is pure momentum, cci is a mix of momentum and price, so some things they do the same and some things different and maybe both might be useful.

For now, a problem with cci is that it doesn't have a "normalized" output (0 to 100% or -100% to +100%). It needs to be normalized somehow before it can be used properly.

My big issue YET is timing.... I have been very happy so far with vmar 3 on 1 min... what I feel that I need is some type of More leadingness without compromising cleanness...

You might have to beat me with a stick repeatedly to make me compromise leading for anything else, bone headed me...This is the area I am wanting to work on now, so maybe you wont have to wait much longer.

What I think is that trying not to take heat on a trade is a very fullish task... I believe that more than 75% of my trades always take heat, even thought I take trades on pullbacks :doh: but after the heat they normally workout pretty well... so the word here is TOLERANCE during heat once inside a trade.... here is where I am not so interested in having a perfect timing indicator as I am more intersted in having a nice decent timing indicator PLUS Tolerance capabilities to relax my heat period of the trade...

Yes heat is a biggy, most things you try to reduce heat just shift the heat to later in the trade. We may have to talk more about tolerance. I am not clear about it yet.

... a chart posted by Blu-Ray of a cci with a vma of it (some type).. you can notice on this one that he crosses 0 on a very clean fashion giving an entry short signal (suppose we have a complete argument on our 5 min vma1 to go short)... and once inside you can see the heat going on against the trade... BUT ccivma (cyan line) can not get above +100 line, working as a TOLERANCE tool on our favor... here I am more than shure that a whipsaw stop would had being avoided thanks to this tolerance....

To me, the cyan line crossing zero gives a late entry.

To me, the first short entry is when cci crosses zero.

You scalp out on the first cci dip or you live with the pullback heat.

After the pullback you get a second entry, maybe the big trade entry, hard to say with cci because the second ladder step looks shorter on cci that it does on the price chart.

There is a second pullback and a third possible entry, maybe not so good a trade though.

I would like to have a pullback level type indicator, like this pullback is small 20% maybe not good scalp entry, or this pullback is 50% ok for scalp entry, or this pullback is 100% (price crosses 5min magenta=perfect entry but need to have this showing on a 1min indicator) or pullback goes past 100% and is actually a reversal or exhaustion, danger danger.

When you talk about tolerance I get my own ideas popping into my head and getting in the way. You may have to beat me with a stick to make me understand a different view. Part of the problem is that I see a couple of possibilities and I am trying to fit what you are saying into one or other of the possibilities I see. When you talk about a third possibility, I stuff up..

Just keep beating...

the advantage oscillator haves on this is that they "normalize" certain values of exhaustion very diferent to a price pane based indicator... thats why they can eventually help a lot on the TOLERANCE type function indicator....

Agree but still need a clearer picture.

Maybe we should be exchanging pictures of what it should look like..