Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

YM, ES and DJIA Analysis

It surely wasn't the best looking candle.

But now, the market is back down - as usual :)

A few things I didn't point out about the "hammer". It wasn't really a great risk/reward seeing as how there are a few moving averages just in front of it, and the risk would have been too great.

It could be a tempting long James. I'd prefer it to have come down more, but the market waits for no man.

There you go. 2 hammers on the daily.

I would have liked it to come down a little more actually but nice hammers on the daily *near* my support level.

I apologize for not being quite so active in here. These injuries have really taken me out more than expected. I know, it seems like it would be nothing to sit in front of a computer with a messed up leg and foot, but it really takes a toll when I have to be on my feet all day.

With that aside, let's talk about the ES. Some interesting price action this week, well not really. Of course the double hammers proved to be accurate. But that was then and this is now - real time.

On the daily we closed above the 100 EMA. Two immediate things stick out like a sore thumb.

1 - Every newbie in sight has been screaming we closed above the 100 EMA. So I went ahead and circled all those fake outs.

2 - Look at that long wick at 1400, shows some sellers came in. There is also a huge lack of volume that I would personally want to see for a breakout of such a big level. But that's just me.

I could be looking at this all the wrong way. My bearish bias could be taking hold of me and I could be missing something here, but I don't think so. IF we close above 1400, then we would have a double bottom and could see 1550. I think that breakout would be a huge win for the bulls.

As of right now on the daily, the better risk/reward trade would be to short at 1400.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6132&stc=1&d=1208747293

Weekly shows a similar story. Resistance at 1400 and lower volume than I would like for a potential breakout. You should also notice the 100 EMA acted as resistance on the weekly. Just by looking at these charts, some bulls might be set up for a minor heart break. But if that resistance level breaks with strong volume, then I will obviously become much more bullish.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6133&stc=1&d=1208747293

5aa70e59463dd_esdailyapr18.jpg.2f0194e5d2da66def1121b675d108739.jpg

5aa70e594c7c6_esweeklyapr18.jpg.89b04b5cdbd69403db185810e5479723.jpg

eaqvc4.jpg

I like the analysis James, I see a few things different this go round though. I added the orange arrows and trendline.

The prior break of the downtrend never had a wave bounce off and successfully test that trendline. We have a leg above the downtrend now. A full leg because last time a higher high was not made, here there was a higher high and a higher low above the downtrend.

Also I noted the ema's you're running had the fast blue line fall below the red line last fake out, but here it has stayed above.

As for the low volume, thats a good thing IMO. We don't want to see volume spike at overhead resistance, that would be distribution no?

I can't lie though, I'd feel a helluva lot more comfortable if there was a test of the lows with divergence. This is why I love the market though, history often doesn't repeat itself and we have to be on our toes. :)

Also I noted the ema's you're running had the fast blue line fall below the red line last fake out, but here it has stayed above.

As for the low volume, thats a good thing IMO. We don't want to see volume spike at overhead resistance, that would be distribution no?

I can't lie though, I'd feel a helluva lot more comfortable if there was a test of the lows with divergence. This is why I love the market though, history often doesn't repeat itself and we have to be on our toes. :)

Good analysis, thanks.

One thing I have noticed about the 8 and 21 EMA (the blue and red) is that they are great in a trending market, but when we are range bound they tend to be slightly irellevent specifically the 8 (blue).

About the volume, I'm not exactly looking for a volume spike. But I would rather see a gradual increase in volume leading to the breakout. This would tell me that there were more buyers prior to the breakout. A high volume spinning top at resistance would be bearish, but leading up to the resistance zone and a WRB through the resistance on strong volume would be bullish in the "longer term".

Check out the Put activity on ESM8 while it is at 14010-1417 Apr 28th-May 2nd. T&S should reveal 500+ lots of short contracts being taken out with single prints. 1305 INDU closing prices.

I tend to disagree with the bearish tone of the majority of the posts here - we haven't really seen 'strong' volume in any of the US markets or European equities indexes (DAX / ESTX50) yet. Perhaps I'm a little hopeful, but I'd like some good news intraday, or an 'event', which gives some nice capitulation to the upside.

I'd like to see us head up towards 1415's in the S&P.

We have an area of confluence broadly from 1410 - 1430. That is where I would be comfortable buying puts.

But perhaps I'm too optimistic. I'm sticking to daytrading that's for sure !

Good luck

I posted that on the 9th April. Seems I wasn't the only one thinking of buying puts up here.

We will probably slowly gyrate higher into October eventually. However, don't forget good ol' "Sell in May and Stay away" :roll eyes:

I'm still waiting for 1400 to be broken. It's against my rules to buy in front of resistance. Until then, I still view this as rangebound. Sure there are plenty of things that are in place that SUGGEST price COULD break 1400. But it hasn't happened yet. Price is king, and price is yet to break that level.

I'm still waiting for 1400 to be broken. It's against my rules to buy in front of resistance. Until then, I still view this as rangebound. Sure there are plenty of things that are in place that SUGGEST price COULD break 1400. But it hasn't happened yet. Price is king, and price is yet to break that level.

Yes. I realise I'm getting a little off-topic here, but there is a financial writer than I'm a real fan of, John Mauldin. He continues to refer to the U.S as a "Muddle Through Economy". He is usually right on the money, and I think it's a good way of explaining what is going on.

The ES has been "grinding up" since the 22nd January - this entire year to date.

Since this is the Candlestick forum, I better refer to them :-)

To mix it up a little, I thought we could look at the Bund. Different market, but still clear implications for the ES/YM.

I've attached 3 charts of the Bund that I referred to in the Chat yesterday.

Chart 1 - 3 pictures of the same Daily chart, "scrolling through" the days. You can see that at the time, there was very clear strength, however as we progressed the strength was broken, Hammer after Hammer. Difficult entires.

Chart 2 - basic picture of the Daily Bund chart as it stands. We keep seeing strength, followed by failure. To me, this chart looks like it just wants to rally, but for whatever reason, it's not. You can literally count 3-5 strong bullish hammers that would be a normal "get ready to buy" signal, that failed.

As the Bund is (all else being equal) inverse to equities, the implications is similar for the ES but in opposite. The US market is weak, but it keeps limping higher.

Chart 3 - taking a step back and looking at the monthly Bund chart, you can see this is still a very clear long-term trend UP. If the US is really recovering for the long-term, this chart needs to be bearish. As I mentioned on the chart, I'll be keeping an eye out for any signs of a breaking of a building triangle to the upside.

Cheers

DailyBund.thumb.jpg.5227d606ee1ba58d5d2b7da2a477dd37.jpg

DailyBund26042008.thumb.jpg.7d99d0e623b9aba4bbd5c00b2d665fd3.jpg

monthlybund26042008.thumb.jpg.08c242dc0b0a91359aedfd1ef6886928.jpg

I definitely agree with your analysis, and to be honest I think we will break 1400. The US Dollar is looking stronger, and energy is actually starting to look a little weak. All of this has been setting up the markets to pop, but as I've said my rules won't let me buy until we break that resistance. Once we break it, I am all in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6204&stc=1&d=1209196432

attachment.php?attachmentid=6205&stc=1&d=1209196432

attachment.php?attachmentid=6206&stc=1&d=1209196432

attachment.php?attachmentid=6207&stc=1&d=1209196468

Should get interesting in the next week or so.

5aa70e5b9aff9_esweeklyapr24.jpg.caaf9194746340679ad66f7b0f542bcb.jpg

5aa70e5ba1e5e_esdailyapr24.jpg.f5a2f371d6e5e8bd87597ede03fb7ce2.jpg

5aa70e5ba80b0_usdweeklyapr25.jpg.7ddb4ee05163b6ff5d86d478a9f99546.jpg

5aa70e5bae819_usddailyapr25.jpg.32c30134762a42cdc2fcf673456419d9.jpg

I definitely agree with your analysis, and to be honest I think we will break 1400. The US Dollar is looking stronger, and energy is actually starting to look a little weak. All of this has been setting up the markets to pop, but as I've said my rules won't let me buy until we break that resistance. Once we break it, I am all in.

Should get interesting in the next week or so.

Using charts that everyone else is watching could put you behind in trading.

The actual breakout occurred on April 16th and was tested on the 22nd. Be careful going all in when the crowd sees fit. Of course the move up could be very real , but it is too early to tell for sure. We will be approaching a previous top in the future to challenge.

erie

Using charts that everyone else is watching could put you behind in trading.

The actual breakout occurred on April 16th and was tested on the 22nd. Be careful going all in when the crowd sees fit. Of course the move up could be very real , but it is too early to tell for sure. We will be approaching a previous top in the future to challenge.

erie

By all in I meant I would be bullish. Not that I would put money in the market.

You could argue that the breakout was on April 16th, but then why the sudden resistance at 1400? Not to mention the psychological significance of 1400, I would rather wait for that. But that's just me.

By all in I meant I would be bullish. Not that I would put money in the market.

You could argue that the breakout was on April 16th, but then why the sudden resistance at 1400? Not to mention the psychological significance of 1400, I would rather wait for that. But that's just me.

No argument that the breakout was on the 16th, not looking at my own chart. You are looking at your chart. Depends on one's perspective.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6212&stc=1&d=1209231435

Sectors.gif.dd2d9488242608ad164b860e0ad1755f.gif

Yup, each perspective is different. Weekly on my chart shows 1400, so I'm going with 1400 ;)

No trade setup yet, will be patient and wait for one. Good news for the bulls that we closed above the 100 EMA on the weekly. So the possibility of more upside next week is pretty good IMO. But what do I know.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6213&stc=1&d=1209233085

esweekly.jpg.a59d9ae074c5e69c5f7d9baafd8e5aa6.jpg

No argument that the breakout was on the 16th, not looking at my own chart. You are looking at your chart. Depends on one's perspective.

And what about the strength in the transports? There doesn't seem to be a downtrend here...

tran.gif.4913aa9b7d5211f1c5b330daa310e8f6.gif

Yes, but the topic may well not be suited for this thread.

erie

Given that the thread is in the candlestick forum, a more appropriate focus might be how candles would have prompted a trader to buy the reversal in March. BF revitalized the thread at that time by noting the test, but there seemed to have been a concern about all the resistance. Of course, there's also a lot of resistance facing anyone wanting to trade any sort of BO of this range, and failure is much more likely not only because of all the overhead but also because those who bought the reversal will be scaling out.

There was also a concern about holding overnight, but this will all happen again, so I suggest for the future that anyone trading the ES consider buying SPY alongside in order to take advantage of those opportunities which he might otherwise feel forced to pass by from a daytrading perspective.

I've been following along with this thread for quite some time and just thought i would throw in my EXTREMELY noob analysis for the ES. This chart covers the last 5 days with 15 minute candle

be gentle :embarassed:

5aa70e5caf7cf_ESchart.jpg.11449d6a255ec29568f5178f8e142056.jpg

I've been following along with this thread for quite some time and just thought i would throw in my EXTREMELY noob analysis for the ES. This chart covers the last 5 days with 15 minute candle

be gentle :embarassed:

Not bad Neo! Welcome aboard the CC Train. ;)

I'm not a 'candlestick' trader, in the sense that I trade off candlestick patterns. But sometimes they help me show the effects of buying or selling pressure more visually.

This is a bar chart I posted yesterday (in the traders log forum), where I mentioned that the action was a warning signal more downside could be imminent. Daily bar chart from YM:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6558&stc=1&d=1211275879

Chart shows the rejection and failure to make a new high. In this particular example the bars peaked "outside the normal range"... easy to spot. I've also included a candlestick chart for comparison, as this is after all, the candlestick corner :)

So, my question the candlestick fans, what extra information do you get out these charts as opposed to bar charts or line charts for that matter?

attachment.php?attachmentid=6600&stc=1&d=1211407109

ym_candlesticks.gif.4ae1f33198e952da198afcceec71d514.gif

Edited by firewalker

Chart shows the rejection and failure to make a new high.

You answered your own question :o

But to more extent of your question, it does show that sellers came and rejected the price. In your second circle, you see a doji, then an "inverted hammer". Basically what that is telling you is that price reached it's tipping point so-to-speak, then fell the next day. Those two candles together were a strong signal that price was being rejected.