Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

yes bubba you identified a kind of fractal in the market currently. The problem with matching the current pattern as a wolfe wave is that if the 1-3 line is successfully broken, then you have a double bottom and an imminent move higher. That's why the 1-3 line should rise for a bearish pattern, opposite for bullish.

There is more to it than that of course, but the case for the opposite scenario should always be considered.

You asked how I trade this pattern earlier and I hadn't responded - am travelling.. I don't trade this pattern specifically.

I am a mechanical system trader primarily but enjoy pattern trading. When I have the luxury of time and money on my side, I will likely trade market geometry. For the time being I trade my money and my client's money in a statistically proven manner (very little human emotional intervention). It works for me.

thanks ws - yes, the pattern isn't quite up to specs. just looked interesting. the 'best' formation prolly was the bullish pattern(wasn't marked). and thanks for the clarification , much appreciated. i spend countless hours on mechanical

systems and hope to someday have a few up and running live. i still have hope of identifying a few setups for daytrading. the ww looks like something i might could use.

:)

WW is perfect for day-trading range days. You just need one of these a day to make a living. Problem is being able to watch multiple markets for them. I trade 9 markets mechanically, so am periodically monitoring them all, but if you were just watching one, I imagine it would be like watching the paint dry.

Mechanical trading gives you incredible peace of mind. If you keep spending the hours you will find something that works. Just remember that simple is better, and to stay away from any type of modify-able parameters.

Today I am leaving my systems on and going surfing! later!

th, bubba and all,

Why (oh why?) did that beautiful bullish WW fail? Because you're not thinking about the psychology of the trade. In a true bullish WW, point #2 should entice the breakout suckers to go long (at exactly the wrong time). Well, when this point #2 arrived, it was almost ready to close the gap from yesterday. Would any damn fool breakout trader go long at this point? Hell no, everybody's looking to go short, now that the gap has (almost) closed. In fact, the market was so weak, it couldn't actually make that last little bit to really close the gap. So, while the pattern had the right shape, it didn't fit the psychology of the trade at all. Wolfe Waves are about more than geometry. It's geometry + psychology---when these two come together, then (and only then) do you have a high percentage winning trade.

Cheers, Taz

p.s. the attached chart shows the same trade on a 5 minute chart, to illustrate the gap closure. Hope this helps.

5aa70e2c546e0_ES5minfailedWWNOT.thumb.png.b7ba69572fb2755c18312eed7db65d80.png

good points Tasuki..

it was interesting, no question.

wave five ended up right at a strong support/resistance zone.

and at the bottom of a multi-day channel.

plus, it was near the close on Friday. crazy!

with all that going on - i fully expected that baby to rocket

:o

it's was fun anyways.

The higher time frames are over-riding these short term patterns, trying to shake out longs. That's why this pattern works best in a range. A clue that these weren't going to be slam dunks was the fact that the other markets, like NQ were trending down throughout the day.

That being said, the relative strength of ER2 is a bullish sign for the markets.

On this chart you can see that I applied the andrew's line as a conservative target. When price failed at this line, which coincided with the 2-4 line, it was an exit signal. Markets will likely be gapping up tomorrow.

Thanks bubba, yours looks ok, but I don't think I would have taken it since the #2 pt. didn't really fake people into the market. The one you posted a few days ago looked a lot better. Keep em coming.

Today was a classic day for WW since it was a ranging market, couldn't go higher, couldn't go lower.

I suspect this market is going higher, what do you think?

i agree on the higher Waveslider.. i can 'see' some bearish wedges on the higher timeframes. i can even make a case for a bearish wedge forming on the ES daily. but our current position is at the bottom of the patterns (or channel) so, up room is there...