Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

The "Mini Icon" trade

Anna Maria, thanks for posting... do you know how he calculates the week long range supply line ? thanks Walter.

Walter,

He's being taught to observe the higher timeframe map to plot his zones of engagement.

So all he'll do is pop it out to a large hourly or maybe a Daily to get his bearings. Simple s&r observation is all. Then transfer that info down to his preferred execution timeframe.

This signal method will highlight a lot of trades on any pair during a weeks worth of activity on these small 5 & 15min frames.

His primary filter on this little set-up is to only engage in harmony with the near-med term flows & try qualify his entry with a good, clear supply-demand line.

It reduces the amount of potential trades per week, but it significantly improves his positive returns! There's not a whole lot of work to do with it to be honest. But it trains the eye to recognize basic price flow & then drill down into a workable timeframe to cherry pick your trade set-ups.

I've included a graph of a small hourly chart highlighting the supply line a little better. Hope it makes sense.

eurojpy.gif.f36ceed1b51b2ae858219d7627dfa9f4.gif

Walter, i've followed the icon thread and wanted to thank you for sharing your work.

i appreciate what you do.

it's a nice setup, especially for a slow learner like me.

:)

Glad to hear that Bubba... so far at this stage I am on a research instance, so remember all this is experimental...

I am also working together with Don on a 5 min based strategy will soon share... cheers Walter.

Walter,

He's being taught to observe the higher timeframe map to plot his zones of engagement.

So all he'll do is pop it out to a large hourly or maybe a Daily to get his bearings. Simple s&r observation is all. Then transfer that info down to his preferred execution timeframe.

This signal method will highlight a lot of trades on any pair during a weeks worth of activity on these small 5 & 15min frames.

His primary filter on this little set-up is to only engage in harmony with the near-med term flows & try qualify his entry with a good, clear supply-demand line.

It reduces the amount of potential trades per week, but it significantly improves his positive returns! There's not a whole lot of work to do with it to be honest. But it trains the eye to recognize basic price flow & then drill down into a workable timeframe to cherry pick your trade set-ups.

I've included a graph of a small hourly chart highlighting the supply line a little better. Hope it makes sense.

It shure makes sense Anna... taking key S&R levels from higher time frames and playing them on smaller (execution) time frames... so far what I deduct is that he is playing the rejection of this levels... would he also play the breaks ?... thanks for your time Anna-Maria... cheers Walter.

... so far what I deduct is that he is playing the rejection of this levels...

would he also play the breaks ?...

Yes, providing he gets a valid candle print (or reversal combo) at the RSI extreme & it matches with previous rejection behaviour, then he'll take it on. Quite often the vicinity of these set-ups, teamed with his small timeframe execution, allows a close proximity stop-loss to be engaged - offering very good r/r ratio's.

He'll play the breaks only if price re-tests the s&r b/o point. Never on a blind break.

Hi Tex,

I thought I recognize your nickname but wasn't sure. Great to have you back. We've missed you (you can tell from the deadness in the forex forum area).

I agree the best way to trade is to follow closely the S/R in monthly and weekly charts to find point of entries and exits. This works in all markets, forex, commodities, index futures, etc.

Hey Torero,

I see you're maintaining the good work, nice to see.

The site sure has gained some ground huh? some real fine content on here since I last visited.

Ya, attempting to keep things nice & simple isn't rocket science :) the difficult part is just that - keeping it simple LOL.

I assume you're still flirting with the FX?

Time oughta be a little kinder this month with the vacations and all, see if we can't whip up a breeze along with Walter & Don here!

Thank you for your welcome, appreciate the words ;)

Yes, still in it but looks like things have cooled off a bit. So I'm more cautious for now. It was a fine run from the 1992 high eh? 3 cents in a few days is quite amazing for my short life as an FX runner.

Let's see how things look when everyone gets back from vacation in the Bahamas, Southern Spain & France & Italy, etc ha ha ha.

Hi Anna-Maria,

I've been using that simple little beauty of a strat since Buk gave Cary and I a heads up about it around two week ago. It's been working quite well for me.

Hook it up to sensible s/r levels, a reversal candle, and away you go!

Good to see you back Anna-Maria.

- Jack

Walter...I have been carefully reading the VMA rainbow indicator thread. When it mentioned the "icon" I went back to read up on what that was. I really liked the "mini icon" setup you described and would like to work with that for a while. Is the regression curve critical to the setup or can you just watch the price bars. I am using Quotetracker as a charting program and they have regression channels which only draw a straight line not a curve. Is there another indicator that would be similar to the regression curve you use? Here is a list of all the Quotetracker indicators:

http://www.medved.net/quotetracker/help/techind.shtml

Also I am a little confused about the cci setup. I have included an image that shows what the QT indicator is looking for. Sorry, setting up these indicators is still new to me :\ ...any help is appreciated. Thanks for all your sharing...it is very helpful. Thank you...Armand

cci_question.png.6c5f7873083db5878c2941ec12fd50c8.png

Armand : you can use the T3 average there... try with a setting 5 or lower.. it will look very simlar to the Linear reg curve... with the CCI you can put 7/3 and only plot the signal... if you cant unplot the original, your signal would be your "CCI"... Mini Icon is nice, problem with it is forex costs... you need more larger moves to absorve their costs even on an ECN broker... thats why I evolved to a larger icon like the one I am presenting on the new thread... still for educational purposes this mini icon is a very nice excercise... Keep that up Armand I see you are doing some homework jejej... cheers Walter. whatever else you need just ask...