Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Dogpile

Trading the Nasdaq-100 (NQ) Futures

for much of the last few weeks, NQ will often set up one of my long or shorts and then just go dead off of the set-up. you don't necessarily lose money, it just corrects sideways rather than shooting the other way. if my set-ups aren't working with immediate and dramatic profits, then that is a lousy market :)

today did have 1 nice morning swing and then ended up a very weak 12 point narrow range day. I would like to see NQ go back to the 22-25 point range days with multiple 10+ point intraday swings. volume was up a bit today so I am anticipating some better swings tomorrow and beyond.

NQ is made up of choppy tech stocks that usually like to rinse daily swing traders out. IBD defines a 'distribution day' for nasdaq as a -0.80% day.. Tradestation shows that there have been 38 days this year where NQ has traded -0.80% vs previous days closing price (not distribution days with price closing that low, just trading down that far intraday).. this is vs ~130 trading sessions. So this kind of 'distribution day attempt' has happened on about 29% of all sessions, a significant number. We have now gone 8 sessions without a 'distribution day attempt' -- this is unusual lack of selling. maybe its a sign of extreme strength. but the odds at this point say we are overdue for at least a little 2-way action in the short-run. I don't need big down days to make good money -- just asking for a little bit of 2-way trading.

NQ has not had a lot of good set-ups lately - probably due to lack of good volume. hopefully, it picks up soon.

I like trading NQ futures in the morning session (generally counter-trend) and YM futures in the afternoon (with the trend).

here is what I have been seeing lately:

see NQ Structure and NQ Structure Part 2 Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OYnIZ6mUUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h5Zj4R4bY4

Good videos there Dogpile, But I would recommend getting either camstudio or camtasia, as you'll get better a visual of the screen.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Good videos there Dogpile, But I would recommend getting either camstudio or camtasia, as you'll get better a visual of the screen.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

and then you can also upload them here on the video section and they will stay secure on this server....

Just a structural review of NQ for 2-Day period ended Tuesday July 10, 2007.

Note the core concepts:

trades to previous days POC

ABC pattern as a continuation pattern

using trade location (market profile POC) to aid your trading decisions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3waY3iv-s

(I realize Camtasia is better for videos but I am not looking at doing a ton of professional videos -- just looking to get some discussion going on NQ -- my apologies if you can't see it exactly but I am just talking structure here, not presice trade set-ups -- so the indicator settings are not really what is important -- just the combination of technical pattern and a little market profile to add some trade location filtering).

(I realize Camtasia is better for videos but I am not looking at doing a ton of professional videos -- just looking to get some discussion going on NQ -- my apologies if you can't see it exactly but I am just talking structure here, not presice trade set-ups -- so the indicator settings are not really what is important -- just the combination of technical pattern and a little market profile to add some trade location filtering).

No problem Dogpile,

Thanks for the videos, please keep them coming, I wasn't really interested in indicator settings or precise set-ups, it was just a thought that it would be easier using camtasia or camstudio.

Anyway thanks again

Blu-Ray

NQ essentially sucked and I didn't make a single NQ trade today. I had a bullish bias coming in due to the 'pinball buy' daily set-up (a Rashke 'Street Smarts' daily bias) but the 15-min chart didn't co-operate for a clean set-up. one more push down in the morning would have set-up a buy for me but it wasn't to be. here is the quick video I posted yesterday regarding the 'pinball' set-up for today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rzP7eqgQk

Note that while I couldn't find a good 15-min set-up, the market did trade back to previous days POC at 2002.75 -- a common tendency. This gave nice directional bias for the morning session -- in fact it hunted down previous days POC almost to the tick (yet again) before forming a choppy coil. Note how todays early-afternoon choppy coil did not compress into a triangle type of pattern -- creating a difficult pattern to read. It did do a 'ABC' down move before rocketing higher late in the day. But I was busy trading YM.

The late push up in price is nice because the market will likely be opening 'out of balance' (ABOVE todays POC). This makes for better trading tomorrow -- hopefully.