Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

flowzen

Profit Guilt

Hi all,

I am a new trader who has been trading in the green for about a month now. I believe I have a solid understanding of this game's fundamentals, different views that people have on what function the markets provide. We are buying and selling fictional assets that have no inherent value except the psychological value people place in it, based on the corresponding psychological price levels we give importance to depending on the numbers that we interpret from the availability of fundamental resources to drive *hopefully growing demand. On one level, investors provide capital to finance ventures to accrue more resources(oil, gold, commodities in general)-which build infrastructure and allow for more specialization(through diverse specialized companies)towards the optimization of our resource gathering/efficiency. On another level, traders speculate and drive prices within certain "projection zones"-which may or may not have a fundamental basis as it is a PROJECTION on continued growth, or decline. Bubbles could not happen if this was not the case.

Now the industry itself: as I understand it, the industry does NOT have my best interests at heart. Brokerages make money off of commission and sell/use retail information they gather. Institutions take advantage of information edge, news driving and large capital to mow down retailers. High frequency traders try to scalp everyone...

This led me to adopt a psychology of "being a market sociopath". I had to accept the fact that for me to make money, someone out there was "losing money". I thought that most successful traders were "tricking" their morality in order to make money.

But this, as it turns out, is a path to loading yourself down with guilt over taking profit lol. Upon further reflection, I realized that anybody who enters the market is essentially a gambler. Once that money leaves their pocket and is in the market-it's no longer any individual's money. It is the markets money, and being made up of all our psychologies/fears/greeds-it will do what it does. I am merely an account operator who lends money to gamblers to play the game they love. I'm enjoying myself.

:P

"Once that money leaves their pocket and is in the market-it's no longer any individual's money. It is the markets money, and being made up of all our psychologies/fears/greeds-it will do what it does. I am merely an account operator who lends money to gamblers to play the game they love. I'm enjoying myself."

It's a great say. Tks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Nice way to start! Don't get used to it haha. Netted 2.28R. However, I made a mistake with my position size calculation and accidentally only entered at 91.4% of the size I intended, so based on the actual risk rather than the intended risk, this trade was about a 2.5R winner.
    • Potential EUR/JPY short
    • 27 IS NOT 10 27 More Hilarious Spelling Mistakes That People On Twitter Can’t Stop Making By Michael Koh, February 8th 2014   31.4k             I just can’t believe that these men and women do not use spell check on their phones. I mean, doesn’t it come pre-enabled? They must be pretty confident in their spelling abilities! Here’s more spelling mistakes on Twitter for your enjoyment. Read the original 27 post here. 1. “apidimi” This word is seriously the epitome of all that is wrong with not spell checking. 2. “…winey” Wait, when they’re saying “winey” voices, do they mean drunk voices? 3. “…go to collage” You can’t go to collage, you make ’em. 4. “…barley…” Barley is a great source of fiber, I think. Right? 5. “Aifel Tower” 6. “corn roads” I’m just shaking my head right now. 7. “I’m a genious” 8. “sillowet “ 9. “human bean” *bangs head on desk* 10. “fake an organism” 11. “mysery “ 12. “lewbuttons” 13. “klamidia” 14. “flaming young” 15. “seizure salad” 16. “quarterroys” 17. “alluminati” 18. “…dairy air” 19. “…aliterate” 20. “sellulite” 21. “masterbait” Goddamn, people, TMI. T.M.I. 22. “subliminol” 23. “dognuts” 24. “…raping presents…” 25. “ginger rale” 26. “kukies” 27. “alphet” They mean outfit. There, I saved you the trouble of trying to figure it out. image – Twitter   Funny Humor Informative List LMAO Spelling Mistakes The Digital Age The Internet Twitter    
    • I will see your agreed and raise you another agreed.  
    • This took the article right out of my idea. There's always someone quicker than you though. Dont forget to like and subscribe I know you cant get your replies in quick enough these days but keep trying. Scraping the hull: Ridding your organization of barnacles Award-winning author Gary Conner is president of Lean Enterprise Training. 5-6 minutes   Editor's Note: A version of this article previously appeared in the March 2004Lean Into It newsletter. What do barnacles and lean manufacturing have in common? Let me explain. Barnacles are a form of sea life that everyone's heard of but probably knows little about. Many different types exist, but let's talk about the type of barnacles that attach themselves to ships. These crustaceans are roughly the size of a quarter, and they attach themselves to a host (ship) for life. The adhesive properties of the cement that they excrete are amazing. This small animal glues itself to a host with a compound so strong that it could hold the weight of a compact car (2,500 pounds). Estimated costs associated with speed loss (caused by increased drag) and increased fuel consumption resulting from these marine mollusks' growth on ship hulls are an astronomical $1.4 billion per year. "Fouling," as it is referred to, can contribute to an increase in fuel consumption of up to 7 percent after only one month and 44 percent after six months (Swedish International Development Authority, 1986). For ships, the traditional remedy has been a regular visit to the dry dock. There, barnacles and other organisms are scraped or sandblasted off the hull, which is then covered with a coat of antifouling paint designed to discourage their return. As long as 2,000 years ago, hulls were sheathed with lead and smeared with concoctions of oil laced with sulfur and arsenic. In 1625 a lethal recipe combining arsenic, copper, and gunpowder was considered worthy of an English patent as an antifouling compound. The danger for shipping companies is that the barnacles are hidden below the water line. Out of sight, out of mind. The only indication that fouling has occurred is the vessel's reduced performance. Barnacles-Non-value-added Activities Parallel Could our companies be fouled—slowed down or consuming resources unnecessarily— by barnaclelike behaviors? How do we "scrape the hulls" of our organization to ensure smooth, unrestricted, and cost-efficient advancement? Barnacles can be likened to the non-value-added activities we perform every day. During a kaizen event at a client company in Nevada, we performed a value-added, non-value added (VA-NVA) observation of a sawing process. The operator was a large man (325-plus pounds). He was working in 95-degree-F heat and wearing a shop coat over his coveralls. This poor man was sweating profusely, to the degree that I was worried about his health. The initial observation showed that he was able to spend only 19 percent of his day in a value-adding mode. Eighty-one percent of his day was spent on either necessary non-value-added tasks (things like paperwork and stacking parts), or, worse yet, unnecessary non-value-added tasks (activities like looking for a supervisor or a pallet). After the kaizen team rearranged his work area, developed a new work standard, and set his operation up to run at takt time, this worker produced three times as many parts. He now spent well over 60 percent of his time in pure value-added activities (still room for improvement). At the time of our kaizen presentation, he was unaware that he was producing 200 percent more material through his two saws. Before we told him about the documented improvement, we asked him if the new layout and new work steps were easier or harder. He expressed a great deal of satisfaction with the new process, describing it as "so much easier than before." He was producing three times as much, with less effort. Kind of like pushing a ship through water with less effort because the barnacles had been scraped off. Nondiscriminating Suckers Organizational barnacles can grow anywhere. Engineering, order entry, purchasing, finance, and, of course, the production departments may need to be put into "dry-dock" and examined for non-value-added activities. A fabrication team VA-NVA examination found that 25 percent of its time was spent in non-value added activities. For this $14M company, this meant $3.5 million worth of potential sales opportunity was being left on the table each year. Interestingly, after a ship has had barnacles removed, the entire hull must be treated to inhibit barnacle regrowth. So it is with organizations; sustainment is by far the hardest part of improvement. Changing the behaviors of the individuals who comprise the organization is necessary to avoid reverting back to non-value-added activities. Continuous Improvement Kaizen must become a way of life, and one trip to the dry dock will not create a barnacle free ocean or organization. Continuous improvementis not just a program title, it is a verb, and verbs demand action. I'm sure that scraping barnacles off a ship isn't easy work, but the rewards of improved performance and reduced costs must be worth it, because every viable shipping company in the world does it. So, where will you start scraping?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.