Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MichelGJulien

The $101 Level on Crude Oil... Solid As a Rock?

After 5 bounces of the $101 support level since mid-July, we can confirm without a doubt that it represents THE support level to break for bears if they want to have any chance to see eventually a sub $100 crude oil price. In fact, it seems as if every time WTI's price approaches this level, something like an invisible hand stops it from breaking lower. Today it was the news that Congressional leaders were willing to accept a short-term increase in the country’s $16.7 trillion debt ceiling - therefore taking a step toward averting a default - that did the trick. Whatever the reason may be, it seems to me that some people definitely do not want to see price drop below this 3 digits number. Can this solid-as-a-rock support propels crude to new highs now? I would normally say yes, but nothing has been rally "normal" lately.

NEW!_Live crude oil trading room_Copy my trades in real-time_Only pay what you think the service is worth to you AFTER you have results_Info-> tradercrudeoil.blogspot.com

attachment.php?attachmentid=37197&stc=1&d=1381449239

Meet the "invisible hand" sitting at the $101 price level

Technically speaking, the bigger picture hasn't changed that much. Resistance lies above at the 20-dma (103.87) and below the support is still at the magical 101.05 floor. Should we finally break this support, 98.70 would immediately come into play in my opinion. Higher up, we would meet resistance around the 105.50/106 area. In the meantime, volatility is simply incredible on the oil market. It takes courage just to trade this monster. The joy of living dangerously (title of a book by India philosophe Osho) applies perfectly to the actual market conditions. Tomorrow, Friday, I would tend to believe that anything can happen really. Frankly, I'm not even going to try to guess which way this thing will go.

I took 1 new trade and completed 2 previous trades today:

1. Long 102.93 at 9:06am on Wednesday, exit 102.18 at 2:59am Thursday for a -75 ticks loss.

2. Long 101.44 at 10:33am on Wednesday, exit 102.18 at 2:59am Thursday for a +74 ticks profit.

3. Short 102.18 at 2:59am, exit 101.38 at 9:13am for a +80 ticks profit. Result: +79 ticks today

5aa7120314b8c_5BOUNCES.thumb.png.bb8b86c5f218b1b9b64ef61b468b8477.png

Edited by MichelGJulien

My medium term target is 85, which should be very possible if Syria plays ball (that's a big IF). Though we might see a small bounce from here due to Fed's short term dovishness...