Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Any DAX and/or STOXX traders here

Tks for the info Malvado - any advice/suggestions on brokers/platforms to trade DAX?

I'm totally new on this and have been learning the ropes on Tradestation with ES, ER2, YM, EC, BP.

Pepe : ))

Open ECry has access to the Dax, among many other futures products. I would at least check out the free trial.

Malvado, I day trade DAX and I just trade for the first 2 to 3 hours, the cream's gone after then, at least for my style.

I Ve Been Seeing Some People Interested In Trading Dax.

- The Best Time To Trade Dax Is When Usa Market Opens Till The Closing

- Because Of Its Volatility, Dax Day Traiding Is Quite Risky. After Many Attempts To Day Trade, I Finally Consider That Swing Trading Is The Best Option To Work With Dax Futures

- I Do About 1 Or 2 Entries Per Week And Hold Them Between 1 Or 4 Days. Depending On If My Position Is Based On The Long Term Market Trend Or, On A Corrective Movement Of That Trend.

- Dax Movements Are Between 30 And 50 Points (25€ Per Point). If You Are Playing The Trend This Waves Can Lead You Till 150 To 250 Points Of Profit. If You Play A Corrective Wave, The Best Is To Pick Up The 30 0r 50 Points And Exit. The Second Option It Is Normally A Day Trading Move, Not A Swinger

- As Far As I Know, There Is Not Any Tick Or Trin For This Future.

- Mornings In Dax Are Not Very Profitable, Normaly But, Depending On What Usa Market Did The Night Before You Can Estimate If To Trade Some Mornings Can Be Worth It.

- Dax Is Leaded By The Usa Market As Almost Everything. So To Trade Dax Is Necessary To Look At Usa References. I Always Do My Dax Trades Looking At The Sp Futures And Dj Transport Average.

Hopping This Can Be Useful To Someone

Best Regards,

Malvado

Malvado, I day trade DAX and I just trade for the first 2 to 3 hours, the cream's gone after then, at least for my style.

Ditto here, believe in the power of quitting, after 1-2 good trades.

What timeframe charts do you employ for dax, I normally look at 60/15/5, and enter via 2-3min . VSA principles work great in this market , however it is a volatile environment and trade management would have to quite different than say trading YM

Why not post some charts of morning trades, that way we can once again kick start this thread, may draw in more Dax traders to exchange ideas with.

Hi all, my first post here, i,ve been looking for a DAX thread, hopefully a few more traders will participate.

I have only been interested in the DAX futures for the last 4 months and i have to say i'm hooked...still trying to find a way to scalp it with a R/R of more than at least 1/1.

The image shows my chart set up, with the only thing missing, the support/resistance lines....i try to keep things simple and rely more on discretion.DAX.JPG.3d8aaf18014b84568cc9364dcc4a5b7b.JPG

Ditto here, believe in the power of quitting, after 1-2 good trades.

What timeframe charts do you employ for dax, I normally look at 60/15/5, and enter via 2-3min . VSA principles work great in this market , however it is a volatile environment and trade management would have to quite different than say trading YM

Why not post some charts of morning trades, that way we can once again kick start this thread, may draw in more Dax traders to exchange ideas with.

I use range bars 6 or 11.5, depending on volatility

STOXX follows DAX more or less. These two are like ER2 and YM.

No, this is wrong. The DAX follows the DJ Euro Stoxx 50 "tick by tick" so to speak. Look at the DOM. When the DJ Euro Stoxx moves up 1 point (= 1 tick), DAX follows with 2 points (= 4 ticks) (this is average, this relationship lies between 2-6 ticks) 0.1 seconds later. I assume this is due to computer trading.

Another thing I would like to mention is that the DAX has a lot less liquidity. There are usually about 10-20 contracts on each side in the order book while the DJ Euro Stoxx shows 50-200 in the morning/evening and 200-2000 in the noon/afternoon.

Any platform in Europe or US that is acceptable if not excellent for Eurex markets?

X_Trader by Trading Technologies is excellent for trading anything under the sun.

The image shows my chart set up, with the only thing missing, the support/resistance lines....i try to keep things simple and rely more on discretion.[ATTACH]3961[/ATTACH]

What kind of chart is that? And what indicator is there that is following the price. This looks like a great setup if you just followed the indicator on the price chart.

Trading hours for DAX, EuroStoxx50 and Bund are 0800 till 2200 CET ( 0700- 2100 UTC).

Jaap

That's correct. But traders should watch out for the last trading day because the trading day ends around noon, but each future (DAX, EuroStoxx & Bund) has a different closing time on the last trading day.

X_Trader by Trading Technologies is excellent for trading anything under the sun.

Straight up. If you're a DAX trader and actually want half a chance of making money, use Trading Technologies. These guys are the best, period.

What kind of chart is that? And what indicator is there that is following the price. This looks like a great setup if you just followed the indicator on the price chart.

Hi Agekay, i haven't been here for a while....that chart is nothing special mate, heikin ashey, oscilator, and a moving average, unfortunately it would take a lot more than that to be profitable.

Charting used :sierra charts

BUT, if you use discretion derived from larger timeframes, S/R, fib's, T/L's, or even pivots, it could be useful.

My problem is that due to very small account, it makes me hesitate pulling the trigger, a few false moves could wipe out my account very quickly...

I like the dax because of it's volatility and quick moves, in the very small (20-50 ticks) timeframes you can enter a trade and reach your target (or loss)in

a few minutes, i got sick of waiting in the currencies for a trade to evolve, being an inpatient person, the DAX suites me fine.

unfortunately it would take a lot more than that to be profitable.

I still think that you can trade this profitable with the indicator on the price chart alone keeping your stops smaller than your targets.

My problem is that due to very small account, it makes me hesitate pulling the trigger, a few false moves could wipe out my account very quickly...

I like the dax because of it's volatility and quick moves

Try trading the Dow Jones Euro Stoxx 50 (FESX) then. The margin requirement is usually about a forth of DAX and the tick and point size is smaller, so it's easier to manage your position size. The FDAX follows the FESX anyway (the reason they have the same volatility percentage-wise) and FESX moves are a lot smoother (since it's a lot more liquid).

Good advice from AgeKay. I'm not sure what exactly a 'small account' is but the DAX can rip through several thousand euros/contract in seconds. It's certainly no place to be with a small account.

I have been trading the FTSE a little recently thats intresting 'feels' more like the DAX than Stoxx. I shelved the DAX several months back as it was just behaving oddly (to me) with strange volumes (block trades probably) and some quite erratic movements.

Good advice from AgeKay. I'm not sure what exactly a 'small account' is but the DAX can rip through several thousand euros/contract in seconds. It's certainly no place to be with a small account.

I have been trading the FTSE a little recently thats intresting 'feels' more like the DAX than Stoxx. I shelved the DAX several months back as it was just behaving oddly (to me) with strange volumes (block trades probably) and some quite erratic movements.

Yes Dax does require wider stops and can at times be very volatile, however if you learn to identify the recurring patterns and time your entries etc, it can be managed in time.

How do you find FTSE, tried it many years back but found the market lacked liquidity and was too spikey. Any comments of the Stoxx, appears to have enough liquidity, however am not comfortable with the charts. guess it is a matter of getting used to the instrument.

I took a break from dax I guess a couple of months before Xmas there where lots of block trades (messing up any read of volume) actually strange volume in several instances. FTSE I find quite similar to DAX though only been on it it about 2-3 weeks. DAX can be pretty spikey too! They both can be thin it has to be said.

Thanks for the advise, i have to agree with bearbull the charts and movements don't occur in the same manner between DAX and ESTX.

Back to the chart posted, IMHO nothing works without a good "feel" of the market you are observing and it's "moods", if it's stuck in a range you can ride the oscilations with a wider stop, knowing that even if you don't get the entries exactly right it will come back to a profit, but you will have to be weary of the break that will come eventualy, if in a trend take only the signals to the direction of the trend untill the trend is over, that's indicated with lower lows/ higher highs....but not always of course..:roll eyes:

I've been trading the DJ EURO STOXX 50 last few weeks. I begin trading about 4:00am Eastern and go for about three-four hours. Good volume and has a steady beat to it usually. Merely trying a mid-Keltner strategy for now. Just trying to grab 4 or 5 ticks at a time. You can kind of feel it stalling at times, then breaks away. Just learning it at the moment, as it fits my current day/night pattern.

Hello all,

From my name , you can see i trade Eurostoxx mainly but touch the dax occasionally as well.

My advice is, keep it simple, these markets trade quite technically in terms of levels & trend lines. Don't bother trading the Dax seriously unless you have $xx,xxx in your account...minimum.

In my opinion as well, you need to take advantage of the liquidity the Eurostoxx offers...you are trading in volatility for liquidity, so get some size on which fit in with your risk parameters.

I am currently working on a mechanical system for scalping the DAX, if anybody else has done this please contact me so we exchange some ideas.

Guest Tresor

Hello Guys,

There were reduced trading hours on Eurex on 30 Dec 2008. These reduced trading hours had not been mentioned in the 2008 trading calendar.

As I am going to start to trade FDAX and other Eurex futures soon, I need to agreggate tools of information. Can you please tell me where you find such information as unexpected reduced hours etc? Which RSS?

Regards

5aa70ea531023_FDAXreducedhours.thumb.jpg.71e746f8810d2c3d9651d79209f25818.jpg

Hello all,

From my name , you can see i trade Eurostoxx mainly but touch the dax occasionally as well.

My advice is, keep it simple, these markets trade quite technically in terms of levels & trend lines. Don't bother trading the Dax seriously unless you have $xx,xxx in your account...minimum.

In my opinion as well, you need to take advantage of the liquidity the Eurostoxx offers...you are trading in volatility for liquidity, so get some size on which fit in with your risk parameters.

I am currently working on a mechanical system for scalping the DAX, if anybody else has done this please contact me so we exchange some ideas.

Best advice posted....

The dax can be a bit crazy, but overall european markets are extremely technical and the cash follows in the index.

As a prop trader i traded the schatz, bund and eurostoxx - best way is to keep it simple using S/R levels and have sound fundemenatal knowledge of the market you're trading. Put in the screen time and learn how prices trade and learn how to spot momentum, and thats all you'll need.

The good old days are gone tho, but this won't really effect you unless you're trading size.

Hello Guys,

There were reduced trading hours on Eurex on 30 Dec 2008. These reduced trading hours had not been mentioned in the 2008 trading calendar.

As I am going to start to trade FDAX and other Eurex futures soon, I need to agreggate tools of information. Can you please tell me where you find such information as unexpected reduced hours etc? Which RSS?

Regards

Have you tried using Firefox? I think they have a built in RSS feed links. Also, I think they have some add ons you could use also. Just an idea.