Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Volume on Ag's

Since I am too lazy to look it all up, can you guys give me a quick comparison of ag volume vs. the index e-mini's? Just curious what are the more popular ag products and what the volume is like there.

Thanks.

Corn is the most popular (still lacks in volume over YM) followed by soybeans followed by wheat. Those are the 3 I follow anyhow. Corn I think is going around 80k a day if I'm not mistaken. I don't have my charts up right now...but I seem to remember somewhere around there.

Guest cooter

At least you admit it. :)

Corn, wheat and soybeans are the big three. That's where the money and the moves are.

I'm presuming you know what the e-mini volumes are already. You can go to the CBOT website and check the ag volumes at your leisure. Or just fire up Tradestation and look at the volume for all three on the Daily charts.

Best time to trade is RTH for the pit...trade the electronic during that time: 9:30a-1:15p CT (10:30a-2:15p ET)

Are you trading the ag's live tin? If so, what kind of slippage are you seeing?

What are the best times to trade the ag's? In other words, when are these things moving?

bf,

Im not trading them live yet...testing out my regular setups to make sure they work good on the ags too. I dont if slippage would be an issue if you're trading less than 10 cars. Again...Im not positive, just a guess.

I saw the threads in here and thought I would ask about the ag's. I looked at them at one point, but I think the lower volume did not appeal to me.

I suppose when trading size that the indexes and EC are probably best.

Guest cooter

You'll have to define size. 10 cars at a single clip is definitely not a problem.

If you are looking for futures that trade "technically" well, and provide volatility, with the same tick value as the ES ($12.50/tick) - and a greater daily range - you can't go wrong with the grains.

Remember CBOT is not the only exchange to offer ags. LIFFE offer coffee and cocoa, ICE offer orange juice and there's CME's livestock and pork bellies which I think is going electronic soon.

Guest cooter

Yup, but the barriers to entry is easier with the CBOT grains. And since this is about the Ags...well, corn, wheat and soybeans fit the bill nicely.

I'm not into softs and meats, which is what you are talking about, so I won't comment on the markets that you mentioned here.

Guest cooter

Walt,

The big AG's at the CBOT is what I'm referring to. That's where the money is.

Look at today's activity in the big three: Corn, Wheat and Soybeans. 10 cent move down, then back up. Same tick value as the ES ($12.50/tick). Margins are comparable too.

Need I say more? Here's a couple of CBOT seminars to whet your appetite:

CBOT - Why Stock Index Futures Traders Will Love Trading Corn, Wheat & Soybeans

CBOT - Trading the Grains: Tools for Spotting Profit Opportunities

The .pdfs attached on those pages should also provide additional insight for you.

Walt,

The big AG's at the CBOT is what I'm referring to. That's where the money is.

Look at today's activity in the big three: Corn, Wheat and Soybeans. 10 cent move down, then back up. Same tick value as the ES ($12.50/tick). Margins are comparable too.

Need I say more? Here's a couple of CBOT seminars to whet your appetite:

CBOT - Why Stock Index Futures Traders Will Love Trading Corn, Wheat & Soybeans

CBOT - Trading the Grains: Tools for Spotting Profit Opportunities

The .pdfs attached on those pages should also provide additional insight for you.

You are totally correct. The money is in the big contracts like Soybeans....Corn etc... The margin is insane though....it's so low? Why does it feel like I'm getting alot of bang for the buck here? Maybe my calculations are wrong.

Guest cooter

You ARE getting a lotta bang for your buck. If you can trade the CL (or ER2 for that matter), the grains should be a cinch.

Today is a good example. Even a fool could have taken a cent or two out of any of the big three....and bigger fools, like me ;) even more!

The reason I mainly trade the grains versus the indices is that they are affordable (at most brokers) and have the same tick/point value as the ES, with a greater daily range.

And they're more manageable as they respond to technical analysis more readily. But like all futures, they're susceptible to fundamentals - and that means Economic Reports.

If you're not holding overnight or swing/position trading, you should be fine, as the limit moves won't affect you. I always try to wait a few minutes after opening to gauge the sentiment of the market before jumping in anyway, so I haven't been burned yet.

Plus the hours (10:30a-2:15p ET) allow you time to tend to other things like banking in the AM, golfing in the PM, etc....

Read up on it...those two links I posted above should give you plenty of perspective. And always keep your stops in place, just in case.

Guest cooter

Here's some screenshots of today's activity on the grains. Not too difficult to get some of this, I'd think.

Corn_041207.thumb.jpg.b077545a156987ad78649d7714b94d77.jpg

Wheat_041207.thumb.jpg.623ac89d7bbf1653fa1b1727fd361fc3.jpg

Soybeans_041207.thumb.jpg.df9c6a12fe52d1f1f0a83158f08cc820.jpg

Nice screenshots - i'll pay for the CBOT data I guess next month, maybe watch them during the day. What i'm really looking forward to is ICE. All the NYBOT commodities are now listed electronic....since ICE bought out NYBOT.

Your system looks INTENSE and hardcore, I have no idea what that stuff is. I don't understand what alot of you talk about on this forum, for example I don't know what a straddle is, and my eyes glaze over when I hear about options.

The most advanced thing I know about is the TICK & TRIN...and those I'm still iffy if they actually make me any money. I have a very basic low tech system. It mostly consists of capitalist brainwashing morals I rehearse before I go into the oil markets to take other peoples money away from them.

One thing I don't understand is why you use the number for ticks. Why not just do 100 ticks. What's the benefit of these odd numbers? Can you somehow act before other people do?

Guest cooter

915 mins per trading day in the Ags (overnight + day session).

183 is just a "factor" of 915.

Esoteric to be sure, but no more so than W.D.Gann or Fibonacci.

I think I'm getting delayed quotes on TS for Ag's. There's another $50 for regular products (not emini) for live quotes. Is this true? I'm still not getting emini Ag's at all.

nice cooter, I see you are using the cumulative delta ¡¡¡ do you have any programing skills ? , I wanted to create a cumulative delta that would start acumulating on the first bar of every session till the end of the session, thought I didnt make it.... cheers Walter.

Guest cooter
nice cooter, I see you are using the cumulative delta ¡¡¡ do you have any programing skills ? , I wanted to create a cumulative delta that would start acumulating on the first bar of every session till the end of the session, thought I didnt make it.... cheers Walter.

That's my goal some time this weekend. I saw a forex video with the cumulative tick indicator that SoulTrader had put up, and it made too much sense to me as well.

Guest cooter
I think I'm getting delayed quotes on TS for Ag's. There's another $50 for regular products (not emini) for live quotes. Is this true? I'm still not getting emini Ag's at all.

Don't know your particular TS setup, but I'd give their support a shout and ask. I pay the $50 extra to make sure I have real-time data for everything at the CBOT.

Guest cooter

Yep. I liked the logic behind the commentary - and it makes sense, since Volume is a leading indicator of Price movement.