Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tradewinds

Technical Trading Axioms - Candidates for Approval

I would like people to suggest Technical Trading Axioms. So you will state or propose a Technical Trading "Truth" that you regard as self-evident, generally accepted, or has evidence of being well established.

I ask for Technical Trading Axioms, in the sense that there is some quantifiable means to measure something. I do not consider the statement, "The Trend is Your Friend", as a Technical Trading Axiom. If you have a way of measuring and quantifying a trend, and you can produce numbers and data that are a basis for the Axiom, that is what I'm looking for.

A statement like, "Volume always leads price", I would consider as a candidate for a Technical Trading Axiom. Although I would like to see something more well defined. That is still a very general statement.

For every Technical Trading Axiom that people suggest, I would like to open another thread, and take an open-ended poll, to vote on that specific Axiom. So this thread is for suggesting candidates for approval of a Technical Trading Axiom.

Even if a Technical Trading Axiom is voted as true in a poll, that does not make it true. I'm not trying to imply that it does. But it will be interesting to see what people's opinions are.

Ultimately, the goal is to have a list of Technical Trading Axioms that have been voted on, and either approved or disapproved. Of course, that thread can have endless discussion on whether it's true and why.

Would it make sense to split the axioms by type of technical trading?

I imagine that there may be different axioms for swing trading off daily charts than for intraday 'swing' trading (riding pullbacks and rallies), intraday momentum (going for a single leg or momentum move up or down), or scalping / order flow trading.

Would it make sense to split the axioms by type of technical trading?

I imagine that there may be different axioms for swing trading off daily charts than for intraday 'swing' trading (riding pullbacks and rallies), intraday momentum (going for a single leg or momentum move up or down), or scalping / order flow trading.

I'm definitely in favor of organizing and categorizing any kind of information. The Technical Analysis forum has a prefix for each thread to categorize it. That's one possibility.

A statement like, "Volume always leads price", I would consider as a candidate for a Technical Trading Axiom. Although I would like to see something more well defined. That is still a very general statement.

How about this......

Mean reversion in prices tends to correlate with mean reversion in volumes.

How about this......Mean reversion in prices tends to correlate with mean reversion in volumes

That's good. I like it. It's more specific. It could be tested. The mean reversion could be defined and quantified, then programed for, and data collected.