Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Like Tree5Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Ignore this user

Stress Makes You Stupid

Studies have been done that show the neural networks in a stressed out monkey have fewer branches than in a less stressed monkey. So stress can make you stupid. Oh, and it makes you fat too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tradewinds For This Useful Post:
Do Or Die (08-11-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Stress Makes You Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds »
Studies have been done that show the neural networks in a stressed out monkey have fewer branches than in a less stressed monkey. So stress can make you stupid. Oh, and it makes you fat too.

Yes and stress make you more old ,because is one of principal causes of ossidative stress.its important to have a good lifestyle and eat without fat ,eating many fruits and vegetables and drink almost 2 L daily water.and make sport not many hours a day after 30 years old.evitating also many sun exposition without 50 sun protection.clearly the drugs use and alcool abuse is neither to take in consideration,for live better.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahimsa For This Useful Post:
Tradewinds (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Ignore this user

But does trading stress make traders stupid and fat? Hmmm? That would be an interesting study. I'd think it would be difficult to be stupid and be a successful trader.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

Ignore this user

Quote:
But does trading stress make traders stupid and fat? Hmmm? That would be an interesting study. I'd think it would be difficult to be stupid and be a successful trader.
On the other hand, I think "stupid" is a relative thing. Just because one can not trade does not make them stupid and if one can trade successfully, they might still be considered stupid in some circles.

I remember associating with a guy a whiile back who, from all I could tell, (but does one ever really know?), was a successful trader, but, but his use of the English language and some of his reasoning's, you would assume he was stupid.

I have been continually amazed in my near 50 years on this planet, (a very short time indeed), that everybody has something to learn from everybody. Time and time again, I come to think I am smarter than some person and they turn out to surprise me in some way.

I'm sure there are people who make a living trading, that, if I were to sit and have a conversation with, I would consider stupid. And I'm sure there are people who could never be successful traders that I would consider to be very smart.

I think everybody, stupid or not, has their area of expertise, weather it be an auto mechanic, plumber doctor, or "artist" or trader or whatever... If we can become a successful trader, does that make us smarter than someone else who can fix a leaky faucet efficiently?

...after reading this, I see that I am way off topic from the original post, but after a couple beers i figure, what the heck, I'll post it anyway...

John
wmck6167 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JEHs For This Useful Post:
Tradewinds (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #5

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHs »
...after reading this, I see that I am way off topic from the original post, but after a couple beers i figure, what the heck, I'll post it anyway...

John
No, I don't think you are way off topic. Actually, you bring up some very interesting points about the personalities of traders. If everyone here in cyberspace at TL met at a convention in person, I'm sure we would have a very different understanding of each other.

I think that how a trader deals with stress, and their personality would be very interesting. In many ways, a "regular job" is a lot more stress than taking some draw down, or having to cut your losses. It's just a different kind of stress.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #6

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsa »
Yes and stress make you more old ,because is one of principal causes of ossidative stress.its important to have a good lifestyle and eat without fat ,eating many fruits and vegetables and drink almost 2 L daily water.and make sport not many hours a day after 30 years old.evitating also many sun exposition without 50 sun protection.clearly the drugs use and alcool abuse is neither to take in consideration,for live better.
molto divertente
Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #7

Ignore this user

Quote:
Stress, as understood in neuro-biology, is actually a physiological state indicating biological arousal or being keyed up for action. Stress is further broken down into two kinds. Distress and eustress. The difference between the two is the mind set that interacts with the physiological state. In distress the uncertainty of a situation is engaged with negative appraisal of the future (read fear of loss). This is called anxiety, or in trading it is called worry or fear. In eustress the uncertainty of the future is meet with a positive appraisal of a potentail outcome.

Adding one more distinction about stress as applied to trading. The level of arousal necessary for optimum performance is based on the level of physical or cognitive functioning needed for peak performance. In sports such as American football, where the requirements of peak performance are very physical, high levels of eustress are needed to produce optimum performance. Whereas in such pursuits as bridge, chess, and trading, where their is little need for physical performance, low levels of arousal are needed for cognitive peak performance. The problem is that the high levels of adrenaline and cortisol are not conducive to calm, impartial thinking so needed for evaluation of ambiguity (effective trading mindset)

Rande Howell.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rande Howell For This Useful Post:
Tradewinds (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

Ignore this user

Quote:

tradewinds ,have you get fat in this days ?maybe is your brain....
bobcollett and Ingot54 like this.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: