Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Szymon

Development of Traders Clock Software, Please Submit Your Ideas.

Hi to all Premium members of this forum.

I will be currently developing a Traders Clock for all Premium members of this forum at no cost. At this stage please submit your ideas and needs, example of screenshots, etc...

I will analyse all the information and decide on the features that this new software will have.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Since I think this is the result of our discussions, here is what I would like:

The ability to set a timer to go off every X minutes. X being where the end user sets the threshold. For me, I would like a timer to go off every 15 minutes.

The trick here for me is that I would like to the timer to go off at 'odd' times.

I would like the timer to alert me when there is 2 minutes left on my 15 minute candle. In other words, I need the timer to go off at 9:28, 9:43, 9:58, etc.

Basically, it's my version of the Two Minute Warning where I am alerted when there is 2 minutes left till the bar/candle is completed.

The best I found so far is - http://www.hiclock.com/

The pain is that I have to input EACH alert separately. I had to go in and put an alarm for 9:28. Then 9:43. Then 9:58. for the entire day. Once it's in, it's good b/c I can tell it on what days to run the alarms (even though I check Mon-Fri, I still get them on Sat for some reason). The nice thing about this setup is that I can go in and program the exact time to alert me; whereas I have found other 'egg timers' that will go off in 15 min intervals but only after I hit start. So, I have to hit the start button as close as possible to when I want it to start. Not a big deal, but it is nice to not have to do that.

The other downside to hiclock is that it must use some serious memory or something to run such a simple alarm b/c when I does go off, that program actually freezes for 30-60 seconds. The alarm will come up but I cannot click close until it unfreezes. Happens w/ every single alarm so maybe it's a resource hog when an alarm goes off.

I am also going to test - http://acapsoft.com/det.php?prog=GigAlarm

According to the designer of this, I can set up what I need. I just have not had time to test it out. He has some nice screenshots there to give you an idea.

It's very nice of you to do this for the group. I wish I could design stuff like this!

Thanks everyone who have contributed to this thread especially brownsfan.

Hi Sparrow,

I am sure that there a heaps of alarm clocks around the internet some are free or shareware.

But they always lack something or a not designed properly for the users task.

Simon

As brown says starting at NN:NN alarm every XXm:XXs. Youd probably want to have several of these with different waves attached.

Same thing for repeating times of day alarms. I've attached SmartClock, sadly its no longer in development. Its only failing is the core requirement of a whole bunch of countdown timers. Everything else it does extremely well.

Its really small (80k) you can set different time zone clocks. It has a transparent background (v important) so you can place it on say your charts title bar and it loooks like part of the app. It has an option for mouse over dismiss so you can get at whats underneath.

Actually what would be cool is under your clock display having a couple of little horizontal segmented bar timers that count down to nothing. At a glance visual representation of how much of a time segment is remaining.

Thats it for now :)

smclk131.zip

As brown says starting at NN:NN alarm every XXm:XXs. Youd probably want to have several of these with different waves attached.

Same thing for repeating times of day alarms. I've attached SmartClock, sadly its no longer in development. Its only failing is the core requirement of a whole bunch of countdown timers. Everything else it does extremely well.

Its really small (80k) you can set different time zone clocks. It has a transparent background (v important) so you can place it on say your charts title bar and it loooks like part of the app. It has an option for mouse over dismiss so you can get at whats underneath.

Actually what would be cool is under your clock display having a couple of little horizontal segmented bar timers that count down to nothing. At a glance visual representation of how much of a time segment is remaining.

Thanks for that Blowfish.

How about I create a close duplication of this program and then we can work on the additional parts, I think it is a pretty good start for this little freebie.

Regards

Simon

Nice idea BF - I like the quick, how much time is left visual thing too.

A bar that slowly becomes smaller or even the ability to see the actual time left would be nice as well.

And the ability to toggle this on/off since some may not like it.

There are tons of alarm clock applications around, here is an example.

Yes, they are everywhere.

But as my post above states, a simple alarm clock or egg timer will not work for what I am looking for. Either I have to restart the alarm each time (not interested in this) or I have to try to time it myself (again, not interested in this).

As I mentioned in the other thread, I found what I wanted, but it doesn't always work! http://www.woodiescciclub.com/start.htm if you go to woodie's site and scroll a little over half way down you will see TRADING TOOLS. Click the Woodies Chart clock. That little thing is perfect. Except it doesn't always work.

I'll attach the zip file here in case anyone wants to see what I am talking about. For me, it's all I need if the timers would work. I wish I could do more formatting to it (like make it bigger).

I tried to attach here but did not work.

Here's a link to the zip file for this alarm: http://www.mediafire.com/?1gdejzszv0i

well it does have a setting for time and snooze function, which might not be enough if you'd like to have require ultra precise timing.

Also the tea timer restarts every xx:xx:xx you want it to which is pretty much the same but you need to start the process at the right time.

But doesn't matter, since someone is willing to write you a custom app, which will have all the goodies you desire. :yes sir:

well it does have a setting for time and snooze function, which might not be enough if you'd like to have require ultra precise timing.

Also the tea timer restarts every xx:xx:xx you want it to which is pretty much the same but you need to start the process at the right time.

But doesn't matter, since someone is willing to write you a custom app, which will have all the goodies you desire. :yes sir:

You are right sparrow! There are programs out there but if we can get a custom one w/ what works perfectly, great!!

Just nice to have such a good group (for the most part) on TL.

Ok Guys,

Tomorrow I will start this project , at first I will create as close as possible copy of the smclk131.zip program, then I will add all the additional features that you all want.

With this we will have a Traders Laboratory clock source code and we can always release new versions, etc... with new or revised features.

Simon

Sounds like if you take the best of the one from woodies and the best of smartclock you'll have it :). Personally I am pretty anti bloatware and last time I looked clocks seemed full of bloat. Focus on the primary function and do it well :)

Hey Blowfish,

can you paste a working zip of the one from Woodies room onto here or give me a direct link so I can download it and have a look at it.

Regards

Simon

Hey Blowfish,

can you paste a working zip of the one from Woodies room onto here or give me a direct link so I can download it and have a look at it.

Regards

Simon

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f67/development-of-traders-clock-software-please-3758.html#post34564

I put it right there Simon - how to get it from Woodie's and a download of it.

Hi Everyone,

Anyway I started to prgram this and I am testing out a script. Can someone download this analog clock app and tell me if you experience any visual problems like blinking of the clock or something I need to confirm this, or it could be my Vista.

Dont worry about the colours at this stage.

Let me know so I can decide on the next step.

Simon

clock.zip

Works fine and mirrors "Date and Time Properties" clock nicely on XP SP2. No blinking on my system.

One observation though:

I don't know how you have it programmed but sometimes when I run it the "seconds" hand never fully straightens out (smooth line) when hitting the 12, 3, 6, or 9 places. Of course this isn't a big deal. I just found it interesting.

Thanks for the comments HLM.

There is a bit of programming involved in this analog stuff, I might just change this to a digital version, mostly because the analog is just to big, too complicated and it will vary on all computers in someway.

Simon

There is a bit of programming involved in this analog stuff, I might just change this to a digital version, mostly because the analog is just to big, too complicated and it will vary on all computers in someway.

Whenever I get stuck programming I head over to PlanetSourceCode to get a few code snippets to keep a project running smoothly. If it's a popular topic it's interesting to see the different ways it can be accomplished. There are probably a ton of examples if you search for "analog clock". What language and compiler are you programming in?

Whenever I get stuck programming I head over to PlanetSourceCode to get a few code snippets to keep a project running smoothly. If it's a popular topic it's interesting to see the different ways it can be accomplished. There are probably a ton of examples if you search for "analog clock". What language and compiler are you programming in?

Hi HLM,

Yes I had a look at some of the free sniplet code websites but could not find anything for the requirements.

At this stage I am using VB Microsoft .Net, simple and effective, comparing to C in the old days.

Simon

Yes, I enjoy the .NET environment. Planetsourcecode.com has much more than just snips. I did a quick search over there in the .NET section and it came up with several completed analog clocks. I never like to reinvent the wheel when possible. If you wish to discuss any specific programming issues feel free to post them here. :)

Glad to hear it! It is by far my favorite code site. I have been using it for about 10 years now. After searching through code for a bit it will probably ask you to register. But the good news is that it's still COMPLETELY free. :)