Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jswanson

The Secret Weapon of Technical Analysis

The vast majority of technical indicators perform a computation on the price or volume of an individual security.Â* While these indicators can provide valuable insights, most traders ignore the most effective type of technical indicators.Market Breadth IndicatorsMarket breadth indicators do...

I must say i do like the Arms index. Still experimenting with it, though it does appear to be workable (i've only really looked at two week data).. My first thought was to use an OB extreme close to forecast a down day in the S&P tomorrow. Doesn't always work, i'll be looking into it some more though

As a general rule, looking where others aren't (looking) offers the highest potential utility

I like the work of Ken Shaleen. It works for me..

His book is expensive "Volume & Interest" (published by Cutting Edge Trading). As I recall my copy bought a long time ago was about $150.00. It could be more now. An alternative (if you don't want to spend the money) is to research his comments on the Internet and try to fill in the blanks, or have someone who knows his work train you....

Wish I could say more about that, but I have a Globex class starting in 20 minutes and I have to finish my lesson plan.

Best of luck

Steve

PS....by the way "Technical Analysis & Options Strategies" (same author) is also pretty good for those interested in that approach...

Edited by steve46

Market breadth indicators do not use information based on a single security, they use information based on every security - and all securities are treated equally. This is very different from calculating an indicator value on an index or exchange traded fund (ETF), most of which are capitalization weighted.