Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

suby

Identifying Algorithmic Patterns Intraday

I was wondering if anyone here can snipe algorithmic patterns in the markets either from a discretionary standpoint or from a mechanical one (i.e. through data mining and other techniques...)

I would love to hear from anyone who has any experience or opinion with this!

Suby

Most of the patterns in the market are caused by algorithms. There is a pattern that tends to mark the high and low of day that can be observed in our software. The pattern sets up as follows (for highs):

1. A large imbalance occurs in the book (offer) at high

2. A surge in buying either takes out that imbalance or eats into it. Typically this is 1 or 2 points above a recent obvious high.

3. A replenishing offer creates an area of high volume in the chart which is predominately buying

4. A surge in market selling occurs that is far beyond the normal for the day.

5. HOD is usually in. A HOD in my book doesn't mean HOD for all day but at least for several hours and often for the day.

I read this pattern many times using my specialized tape reading software. There are other patterns too -- such as large pulls after selling and a market jumping higher. I don't think it is possible to exploit an individual algorithm but understanding the aggregate is very key. There are always people behind the algorithms. There are also liquidity type patterns that can be found around market opening and closing events.

---

Curtis

http://orderflowdashpro.com

I was wondering if anyone here can snipe algorithmic patterns in the markets either from a discretionary standpoint or from a mechanical one (i.e. through data mining and other techniques...)

I would love to hear from anyone who has any experience or opinion with this!

Suby

Edited by Predictor

You may want to checkout the live commentary done by Lawrence Chan of Neoticker on this site - Daytradingbias.com

Thanks for this, i'll take a look at his blog!

is he pretty on point?