Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Wireless router replacement and questions

Guys, I am thinking of getting a new wireless router. Can you provide me some ideas of what brands/models to look at?

Also - how difficult or not so difficult is it to install a router? When I had the one I currently have installed, I had a computer guy do it for me. That was a mistake b/c I didn't learn anything about it. I want to learn how to do this stuff, so if I get a new one and follow the manual, should I be ok? I mean, is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks!

I am sort of a computer geek and have used home routers for more than ten years. I have found that for me, Linksys is the best. I have four computers currently setup on my home LAN. Two wired and two wireless. The wireless is reliable when within range but not as reliable as being wired. Routers are cheep and easy to setup. You should have no problem at all.

Here is a decent link: WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks

That's what I need to know. I figured it was easy, but wanted to ask before I ended up with no internet for days!

D-Link also makes a good product. The hardware part is easy. The tricky part is installing the drivers and configuring the router and network with the provided software and standard Windows software. Sometimes you can have everything set up the way that seems right and it still won't work and it can make you crazy. Try one of those places like Best Buy that can send out some help if you get stuck.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. D-Link, for example, wants you to install the drivers before you install the wireless network cards. Be sure to do what it says. Of course, if you don't plan on replacing you network cards the task will be easier.

You can have more than one network running and can select one or the other from Windows to use. So don't shut down your old router until the new one is working or you'll cut yourself off from internet help if you need it.

Also, if you have signal weakness problems consider getting an antennae booster for you network card.

Good luck!

Im not sure how it works over in the US, but in Tokyo everything is taken care off. When I changed my line to fiber optics just recently I had the guy from the internet provider company setup the hardware for free. All I needed to do was purchase a router, plug it into the fiber optic box, visit my internet providers website, and it read my router automatically. Took me like 5 mins.

Im not sure how it works over in the US, but in Tokyo everything is taken care off. When I changed my line to fiber optics just recently I had the guy from the internet provider company setup the hardware for free. All I needed to do was purchase a router, plug it into the fiber optic box, visit my internet providers website, and it read my router automatically. Took me like 5 mins.

Soul - sounds nice! Not sure how far we are from fiber optics lines here in the US... I've read that it's out in a very limited capacity, so I'm not holding my breath. Till then, it's cable! And I recently picked up the Verizon Wireless Aircard as a backup. It's not too bad actually, I get a decent signal and can purchase a strong atenna if need be.