Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Obsidian

CPU and Graphics Card Question

ok here is a quick which one is better question :)

Core2 Quad Q8300 vs i3-3220

and

GTX 650 vs HD7770

Using a basic comparison from PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts & PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts on the surface it would seem that the i3-3220/HD7770 combo is the winner. I would point out though that with the gpu in particular, it depends on whether the card is a reference design from nvidia/amd or it's a partner design. Non-reference usually see a nice boost in performance. But then it depends whether it's needed for the task you want it to perform. If it's for a trading/charting pc, the important thing to check for is really likely to be the number of supported monitors. It looks like the gtx 650 supports upto 4 via dual link dvi and the hd 7770 upto 6 via display port (although using standard connections I think 2 is probably what you'll get for either).

ok here is a quick which one is better question :)

Core2 Quad Q8300 vs i3-3220

and

GTX 650 vs HD7770

The i3-3220 is about 33% faster with a cpu benchmark score of 4300...however, the bear minimum benchmark score you want for trading is 7500! ... This means you need an Intel Core i7....not an i3.....

On the videocards the 7770 is marginally better, however both are gaming cards and are overkill for trading....

My recommendation is that you spend more on the processor and less on the video cards...

The i3-3220 is about 33% faster with a cpu benchmark score of 4300...however, the bear minimum benchmark score you want for trading is 7500! ... This means you need an Intel Core i7....not an i3.....

On the videocards the 7770 is marginally better, however both are gaming cards and are overkill for trading....

My recommendation is that you spend more on the processor and less on the video cards...

So this means you shouldn't trade with an i5-3570k or even an i7 920? Sorry Eddie but that's just not true. It depends on what you want. If you have an all-in-one charting/trading platform and have a whole load of different charts and studies open at any one time, then yes the processor is going to take a beating, but even a 2600k or 3770k might struggle. Then if you're going to do backtesting etc. a multi-threaded cpu is likely to be helpful. It's basic comparison with passmark because it's not separating tasks at all. For a specific use, a cpu with a lower score might therefore be more than adequate in performing the tasks required of it. In any case, there's been no mention so far of what the pc is required for!

4240 i3-3220 benchmark score

3067 Intel Core2 Q8300 benchmark score

7500 Minimum benchmark needed for trading

Do not purchase either system

1823 Video benchmark of 650gtx

2144 Video benchmark of 7770

Both are actually overkill for trading....but very good for high end gaming